Third Row Hinge Rust

Julian Huerta

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all!

I've just purchased a used 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I had a mechanic do the inspection and got the all clear but after the fact I noticed rust on the third row seatbelt base and the third row hinge. The auto fold mechanism works just fine and doesn't seem to be struggling. I pulled out the spare and looked over all the frame and cant find rust anywhere else. This was a leased vehicle through a Ford in NY that I got through Carvana but so I can't imagine it had flooding or major water damage but double checking. Has anyone seen this? I also have a Ford ESP on the new car, would this be something that the warranty would handle?
nyuPpTh.jpg
TjAjzXe.jpg
HX5a7KL.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all!

I've just purchased a used 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I had a mechanic do the inspection and got the all clear but after the fact I noticed rust on the third row seatbelt base and the third row hinge. The auto fold mechanism works just fine and doesn't seem to be struggling. I pulled out the spare and looked over all the frame and cant find rust anywhere else. This was a leased vehicle through a Ford in NY that I got through Carvana but so I can't imagine it had flooding or major water damage but double checking. Has anyone seen this? I also have a Ford ESP on the new car, would this be something that the warranty would handle?
Welcome to the Forum Julian.:wave:
My guess is that the rust is caused by a water leak, likely from the roof area. Have you checked the spare tire well for signs of water/moisture? If that is the case, the ESP will not cover it. Sorry.

Peter

Checked the spare tire well and no signs at all of water damage. The only other area I found rust was in a metal bar underneath the driver seat but unsure if that could be related to high humidity areas (car was closer to sea side NY). Otherwise no rust found anywhere else that I can see

Checked the spare tire well and no signs at all of water damage. The only other area I found rust was in a metal bar underneath the driver seat but unsure if that could be related to high humidity areas (car was closer to sea side NY). Otherwise no rust found anywhere else that I can see
Check the 3rd row seatbelts where they are fastened to the frame. There is a thread here on Water Leaks and that was a common place for water to run down when the leak was from the area where the roof rail fastened to the roof. Water Leak

Peter

Would that be covered through ESP you think?

its bare metal, someone wiping down the seats with a wet rag could have done that. If you really need to, could mask up the surrounding areas and just spray paint it black

With "sea air" exposure this is certainly possible and is only surface rust. I'd probably just put a little 3-in-1 oil on it and call it a day.
Now if you find a leak like mentioned above, address that FIRST.

I would guess it was caused by snow. Yup snow. So here goes my reason. They had weather tech or some other good floor cover in it. The driver got in with salt and snow all over their boots and it thawed out into the floor mats. They turned the heat up to warm their toes and the moisture did not escape the EX and stayed in it. After a few years the bare metal inside the cab starts to rust. No big deal. If it bothers you clean off the loose rust and use this on it https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...targid=kwd-301124717950&ref=pd_sl_2o8h4tz11_e. Then paint it. No ESP will not cover it it is normal in the salt belt now a days.

9B2FCFE8-07E4-49D9-8AE1-1E1A1294DF10.jpeg
Took the weather tech liner out of the cargo area and went to unfold the rear seats and noticed the brackets on both sides that the seats “pivot “ on are covered in rust. The look like they are and un-coated bare steel. Anyone else seen this? I’ll be taking my ‘17 Sport into the dealer this week.

View attachment 169919 Took the weather tech liner out of the cargo area and went to unfold the rear seats and noticed the brackets on both sides that the seats “pivot “ on are covered in rust. The look like they are and un-coated bare steel. Anyone else seen this? I’ll be taking my ‘17 Sport into the dealer this week.
They’ll just tell you it’s normal.

Took the weather tech liner out of the cargo area and went to unfold the rear seats and noticed the brackets on both sides that the seats “pivot “ on are covered in rust. The look like they are and un-coated bare steel. Anyone else seen this? I’ll be taking my ‘17 Sport into the dealer this week.
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Back