Heater Fogs Windshield But Defrost Comes Out Cold? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Fogs Windshield But Defrost Comes Out Cold?

Ken Theriot

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT
I have a 2014 Explorer XLT and I am very confused about how the temperature controls work. I'm hoping someone can explain it to me.

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn heat on or off other than to set the temperature (like a thermostat) and push the Auto button. This works fine when it's hot outside to cool the car to 73, which is what we usually have it set to.

But when it's cold outside, the car turns the heat on to get it UP to 73. But that causes the windshield to fog up. So I press the defrost/demist control to clear up the windshield. But when defrost is on, the air comes out cold. So I'm constantly turning Auto (for heat) back on to warm up, then back to Defrost to get rid of the fogged up windshield, which makes us cold, so back to Auto for the heat, and on it goes.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front windshield defrost turns on the A/C, even though it doesn't indicate as such.

Uggh. How do you turn of A/C with windshield defrost then? It seems I can freeze or not see out of my windshield. Surely this is something broken?

Uggh. How do you turn of A/C with windshield defrost then? It seems I can freeze or not see out of my windshield. Surely this is something broken?

It's not a Ford issue, as most, if not all vehicles do this.
However, on my older Hondas, it would light up the A/C button and I can actually turn it off.

Welcome to the Forum Ken.:wave:
The reason the A/C comes ON is to help 'dehumidify' the interior which is causing the condensation/fogging. If you turn the defrost on right away after starting the vehicle then naturally the air will be cold since the engine hasn't had time to warm up. Even so, it should start to clear the windshield.

Peter

It does clear the windshield. But how can we be warm AND clear the windshield? When it's 25 degrees outside and I have to have A/C on just to clear my windshield, something is wrong. Is the dual temperature setting the only way to turn on heat? In my ancient car in the 80s, I could turn the heat on AND the defrost. It is hard to believe that this is not possible in a 2014 car. I must be missing something.

Or is there a way to have the heat on and NOT have it fog the windows? Why is is doing that automatically? I don't see any way to make the heat come out from the floor or anything.

I'm not quite getting what's happening here myself.

If I set my car to 73 in cold ambient temps and press auto, the car goes into DEFROST/FLOOR mode and pipes heat as it needs to keep the cabin cozy and windshield defrosted. In severe weather, I need to override it to manual defrost but still automatic speed control. I'm still warm.

If the car is shooting cold air in cold temps to the windshield, it sounds like the blend door actuator might be amiss.

What happens if you set defrost/floor manually @ 73?

Once the engine warms up the defrost air should be warm. I park in my garage and am the only occupant so I don't know if that makes a difference but the windows rarely fog up. Internal fogging is a sign of high humidity. I don't believe the dual setting has any effect on this issue. Have you had the Explorer from day 1 or did you get it pre-owned? Have you checked for moisture in the wheel well? Perhaps there is a water leak. Many members experienced that. Your Owner's Manual should have a section on the HVAC system and how it works.
I tried mine this afternoon after coming home from the dealer and reading your post. The defrost air was very warm. The A/C light was not ON so I hit that button and the air remained warm. Does the defrost stay cold regardless of how long you drive?

Peter

I'm not quite getting what's happening here myself.

If I set my car to 73 in cold ambient temps and press auto, the car goes into DEFROST/FLOOR mode and pipes heat as it needs to keep the cabin cozy and windshield defrosted. In severe weather, I need to override it to manual defrost but still automatic speed control. I'm still warm.

If the car is shooting cold air in cold temps to the windshield, it sounds like the blend door actuator might be amiss.

What happens if you set defrost/floor manually @ 73?

I agree with you, I am thinking a blend door issue. From what is being said, sounds like itbis always cold air up top through the defrost even when the vehicle has warmed up.

To the OP, if you put defrost on and turn the temp up to 80 with the car warmed up, you are still getting cold air? If so, you have a faulty blend door inside the dash.

What is "Defrost/Floor?" I've never seen that anywhere on the controls. To answer the questions - yes, it doesn't matter what i set the temperature to, it's warm on Auto but cold on Defrost. BTW, there is nothing "labeled" defrost. I just assume the icon with the wavy lines is it. Also, yes - this happens when the car is well and truly warmed up - after driving for hours even.

Oh, and also yes, I am the original owner - bought it from the dealership.

Blend door not working then. There are 4 within the dash, they move (open/close) to direct heat between floor, vents, defrost as well as hot/cold air. One of them isnt operating which is why you are not flowing hot air to the defrost

Yes the wavy lines is the defrost.

Now that it has been established that it blows cold even when the engine is warmed up, I tend to agree that you likely have an issue with the blend door. Unfortunately I believe it may be one of the doors that isn't easily accessed.

Peter

2011_explorer_componentviews_11.png

Thanks everyone! That is really all I was hoping to find - whether I was just not understanding something, or whether something was not right. Now that I hav some idea, I'll just take it in to the dealership.

Thanks again!

Tested this morning with front windshield defrost on, inside temp set to 69.8 (outside temp was 39) and the air eventually warmed up and got hot.

howdy folks!
Just bought a 15 Explorer a few months back and just recently realized that the air only comes out of the vents.
Can someone tell me where the blend door actuator is located?
Going to try to fix it myself if possible.
Is this a common problem on these?

Driving along in nice warm weather finally and switched on A/C. But, cold air comes out on driver side and passenger is bathed in warm air! Not a comfortable situation for the passenger. Read other places about an actuator door as the culprit or an A/C leak - both sound like not fun. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what may be wrong and how to fix. Thanks!

Driving along in nice warm weather finally and switched on A/C. But, cold air comes out on driver side and passenger is bathed in warm air! Not a comfortable situation for the passenger. Read other places about an actuator door as the culprit or an A/C leak - both sound like not fun. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what may be wrong and how to fix. Thanks!
I suspect an issue with blend door. I don't think an A/C leak would cause this. 2014 Explorer A/C blows warm and weak on passenger side, strong and cold on drivers

Peter

Back