Interesting engine thumping Noise at 62k: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interesting engine thumping Noise at 62k:

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parrish FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Exp Sport, 2019 f150
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a sort of 'thumping' noise at idle after engine is warm. I noticed it being somewhat pronounced at 62K. My son described it as a thumping vs ticking( not ticking) or clicking more of a whamp, whamp.. Anyone? ( Oh I change my fully synthetic high mileage oil at every 5k like clock work and use ONLY Ford factory filters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolant can make volcano noises... that sounds like thumping.

Drudis. do you mean like overheating? or perhaps air in the coolant?

Yeah , more like overheating. Just throwing that out there... at least something to look at.

Hmm I appreciate that but no not overheating and more a rhythmic wump wump wump on idle.. in neutral.. no clatters or tics.. I may stop by the dealer and see if they have heard anything like it.. Surly hope it isnt anything for sure as I am at 64k just outside warranty.. argh.

Does it change with RPM?
Is it more pronounced inside/outside vehicle?
Can you pinpoint area under hood?

Odrapnew, Yes it picks up with engine RPM and disappears or is over powered if you will by regular engine sound. It is harder to hear outside the car but is in the engine compartment but seems a bit stronger on the passenger bckside of motor.

Odrapnew, Yes it picks up with engine RPM and disappears or is over powered if you will by regular engine sound. It is harder to hear outside the car but is in the engine compartment but seems a bit stronger on the passenger bckside of motor.

Random guess but could it be something to do with the timing chain or water pump or something with that part of the engine?

I am hearing something too on our 13 sport. It is very audible if the engine is warm or after a long drive. It is very pronounced when you come a stop while driving and changes with engine speed. The sound comes from the passenger side of the engine and It also drowns out by engine noise as you drive faster. It's like listen to your own heartbeats, if you don't pay attention, you won't hear it, but once you noticed it, you can't stop. The sound persist even after and oil change at the dealer.

Tsuga,
How many miles on your ride? do you have the Turbo version?

Mine is Turbo as well.I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow see if they can give it a listen and determine anything or provide any advice

Mine has been making a wump, wump, rattle, tap, tap noise at lower engine speeds sometimes followed by a cla-chunk that sounds like it's coming from the trans just as the vehicle stops. It also makes a pfft pfft pffffffft noise under heavy acceleration.

Mine has been making a wump, wump, rattle, tap, tap noise at lower engine speeds sometimes followed by a cla-chunk that sounds like it's coming from the trans just as the vehicle stops. It also makes a pfft pfft pffffffft noise under heavy acceleration.
Kind of makes me wish you could have posted an audio clip of you making the sounds.:D

Peter

Mine is Turbo as well.I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow see if they can give it a listen and determine anything or provide any advice
I am curious to hear
I have a 2014 explorer sport with 83000 miles and it has the exact same symptoms as yours. I brought it to the dealer this morning but they can't get it in until
I am hearing something too on our 13 sport. It is very audible if the engine is warm or after a long drive. It is very pronounced when you come a stop while driving and changes with engine speed. The sound comes from the passenger side of the engine and It also drowns out by engine noise as you drive faster. It's like listen to your own heartbeats, if you don't pay attention, you won't hear it, but once you noticed it, you can't stop. The sound persist even after and oil change at the dealer.
I have a 2014 explorer with 83000 miles on it and it has the same symptoms as yours. I scheduled an appointment at my dealer but can't get in for over a week. I'd love to hear if anyone has found out what the problem is and I will be happy to post my findings as well.

Welcome to the Forum Jeff.:wave:

Peter

I am curious to hear

I have a 2014 explorer sport with 83000 miles and it has the exact same symptoms as yours. I brought it to the dealer this morning but they can't get it in until

I have a 2014 explorer with 83000 miles on it and it has the same symptoms as yours. I scheduled an appointment at my dealer but can't get in for over a week. I'd love to hear if anyone has found out what the problem is and I will be happy to post my findings as well.
Let us know what is the cause. I can’t bring mine in until another week.

Mine is going in on Thursday this week for the tech to get underneath it etc. So we will see what is up. Ill see if I can record it when it is running so it is noticable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I brought mine into the dealer this morning and they just called and informed my that my timing chain is stretched and a guide for it is broken. They recommended a new chain, guide, and water pump for a total of about $3000. I still hope to hear from anyone else to see if they got the same diagnosis.

Back