Rhino Line/Line-X or other? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rhino Line/Line-X or other?

So I did a quick search and didnt really find much info on lining a newer explorer. In my previous thread I mentioned my ex got damaged from hail. Most of the dents and damage besides the windshield are located on the hood, A pillars and the roof. I am thinking about getting some estimates to coat these locations in bed liner material or something like it. I really want the whole vehicle covered but its likely too expensive. My main concern is how the vehicle would look with just the hood, the A pillars plastic covers and the roof done?

Has anyone done this to their newer gen explorer and if so what company/product would you recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EDIT :: My apologies I looked past the body work forum. Can this thread be moved there?

I have never installed any sort of bed liner. Well, that is a lie, I have sprayed some Home Depo. crap on some plywood, but that is neither here nor there in this conversation.
I have removed plenty of it. I really see no *significant* difference between Rino or Line-X.

It is some neat stuff for sure, but as far as how it would look or should you do it to your vehicle it is not for me to answer. Stuff like this is so subjective. I think it would look cool, but I would not do it to my own vehicle. Just my opinion.

I have coated 4 trucks completely in Monstsaliner including my wifes 07 FJ cruiser and my Bronco II
It is awesome stuff! Kit to do a full size SUV is about $350, pick your color
Plenty of prep is the key to a nice result
Monstaliner has a nice flat eggshell finish, it is SUPER easy to clean it sheds dirt and snow very easily. No more waxing, maintenance, or worries about scratches when you coat the entire vehicle.
I love it, the best part is Monstaliner is ROLLED ON by hand, no need to spray
Monstaliner is a two part epoxy coating, it is considered a forever coating, the other nice thing about Monstaliner is it can be repaired, touched up, etc........try that with a LineX or Rhino liner.....

Your dents will show through with the coating, no matter what you use. Dents should be popped out and body filled flat before coating the truck....depending on how nice of a final result you are after

171_191443_000000004.jpg

171_191432_330000000.jpg

171_191432_330000002.jpg

looks awesome! Roughly how much does it take per vehicle?

No i did not buy the vehicle back and I no longer have an interest in this thread lol

Monstaliner sells a 2 gallon kit, it comes with two gallons of the liner, two pints of the activator and two jars of the color pigment. It also comes with rollers, a roller tray, gloves, some tape and stir sticks. It really is an awesome kit.
Each truck has two coats on it, the process takes about 12-18 hours to do both coats.

The BII used about 1-1/3 of a gallon
The FJ used 1-2/3 of a gallon
and the Ranger took about the same 1-2/3, we had about 1/3 gallon left when the truck was done.

The two gallon kit will cover most vehicles, even larger trucks and SUV's.
We are considering doing our Ford Excursion and our Ford E350 van, for those two vehicles I may buy a 3rd gallon just in case. I would rather have extra then not enough.

It really is a great product. We have not seen any fading or loss of color, the coating looks similar today as it did when it first dried.
Just like any paint or coating job, prep is the KEY!

looks awesome! Roughly how much does it take per vehicle?

Thank you!! See above.

No i did not buy the vehicle back and I no longer have an interest in this thread lol

Good to know! on Explorerfortum the thread still lives on even when the OP moves on

Thank you!! See above.

Good to know! on Explorerfortum the thread still lives on even when the OP moves on

Just cant get my self to do it on a new vehicle lol

I must have asked my wife 20000 times "are you sure?" while holding the sander over the hood of her FJ Cruiser. You see when the FJ came out in 2007 and we went FJ shopping there were two to choose from in Denver TRD in Blue or Base in Yellow, since we were going to add our own ARB lockers we went with the base in yellow. She has owned several yellow hot rods in her day and was over it. So I promised her when she paid it off I would change the color.....thank goodness for Monstaliner it cost me 2 weeks of work (10 days of prep!!) and $400
I sanded down the factory yellow paint to prep for the liner, I started with the pristine yellow hood :)
I am not afraid to cut into a new vehicle, just be sure you are cutting in the right place :)

Back