• Register Today It's free!

67-72 F100 frame swap?

nonhog

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific N/W
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer sorta
Sorry if I missed it. I searched honest I did! :)
Has anyone used a 3rd gen fame for a F100 swap 67-72 (or other year, would point me in the right direction)
Wondering if I could get links to builds or even why it would be a bad idea? (besides "its hard" LOL)
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the reason nobody desires to swap a different body onto a third get frame is because of the independent suspension in all four corners. It makes for a limited offload experience and not a very desirable setup. I think a ranger or f-150 would make a better fit for this kind of thing because of the aftermarket availability and solid rear axle.

I see the logic, oddly the IRS is what makes me want to. I camp/hike/explore and solid rear axle while perfect for off roading sucks on rutted and washboard logging roads. Being a classic lover I want to marry the two. Also oddly I see threads on adding Mustang and Tbird (and the like) IRS to classic F100.
Maybe I will try to get photos off both frames. Thinking....

Why do you want to use an explorer frame as opposed to a mustang/thunderbird since that has been done before?

If I were to go 2wd I might. I think the engineering would be less with a full frame swap as opposed to a IRS swap. Since I love the outdoors I like the AWD or maybe 4WD all in one package. Probably cheaper too. That's a big plus for me.

That makes sense then. I haven't seen anyone get that creative with one of these, but you could be the first. Maybe compare the explorer frame vs a crown vic or another car that has already been done. Sounds like a really cool idea

Edit: this is a second gen, but it something. I think a bigger ford would be more likely to work with a third gen because I'm pretty sure we share a frame with an f-150, not a ranger
1956 F100 Explorer Chassis Swap

I would love to see a third gen frame swap :D

Back