Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
I always wondered if the TC tensioner applies too much tension on the WP causing the WP bearing to deflect and ruin the seal prematurely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To her defense, there's really no maintenance schedule to prevent an early water pump failure.
You either replace it at the factory's recommended mileage, or when there are signs of a potential problem.

That was to address the possibility of the coolant becoming acidic.

Here is list of vehicles, this issue involves
Ford Edge (2007-2018);
Ford Explorer (2011-2018);
Ford F150 (2015-2017);
Ford Flex (2009-2018);
Ford Fusion (2010-2012);
Ford Taurus (2008-2018);
Lincoln MKX (2007-2010);
Lincoln MKZ (2007-2012); and
Mercury Sable (2008-2009)

F150 has an external water pump....

Here is list of vehicles, this issue involves
Ford Edge (2007-2018);
Ford Explorer (2011-2018);
Ford F150 (2015-2017);
Ford Flex (2009-2018);
Ford Fusion (2010-2012);
Ford Taurus (2008-2018);
Lincoln MKX (2007-2010);
Lincoln MKZ (2007-2012); and
Mercury Sable (2008-2009)

What about the 2019 Explorers???? They have the same transversely mounted ecoboost 3.5, no?

What about the 2019 Explorers???? They have the same transversely mounted ecoboost 3.5, no?
If you read the link posted in the previous page it actually leads right to the page of the lawsuit detailing which vehicles.
As such, the Edge, Explorer, Flex, and Taurus are all listed as going up to present model years, which would include the 2019 Explorers.
And yes, the 19MYs have the same transversely mounted engine as all [trim level] Explorers do of this 5th generation.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

If you're worried, ditch the EX before the end of the powertrain warranty and pick up the new 2020 redesign.
I already sold my MY2016 coworker and will consider the 2020.

If you're worried, ditch the EX before the end of the powertrain warranty and pick up the new 2020 redesign.
I already sold my MY2016 coworker and will consider the 2020.

Wow, you hate your coworker that much huh lol...

Wow, you hate your coworker that much huh lol...
It's practically brand new, having the tranny, PTU and ETB replaced already.
It's a great all around vehicle, provided nothing major goes wrong during the remainder of the powertrain warranty, as I sold to him just over 30K miles.

This is such an interesting thread. YEP I believe Ford needs warn people and step up honestly. We all supported the company in buying their product. Yes it is man made and can fail.. HMMM just like Audi, BMW Chevy Dodge, honda bla bla bla and they all do here and there.. So FORD products are NO worse than anyone elses.. I love my explorer and will continue to drive it. I have others our family has 3 BMWs and has had them for equal years and models to Fords, we have Audi's older and newer, and old porsche Boxster, Ford trucks etc.. guess what folks THEY ALL FAIL.. Even Honda and Toyota and subaru we have had them also.. It is the price we pay for nice vehicles and having the privilege to use them.... If mine fails or has failed I guess I will ahve to pay the piper. I am not confident Ford will step up but we will see if and when time comes. Till then ill keep drivin the Tank

This is such an interesting thread. YEP I believe Ford needs warn people and step up honestly. We all supported the company in buying their product. Yes it is man made and can fail.. HMMM just like Audi, BMW Chevy Dodge, honda bla bla bla and they all do here and there.. So FORD products are NO worse than anyone elses.. I love my explorer and will continue to drive it. I have others our family has 3 BMWs and has had them for equal years and models to Fords, we have Audi's older and newer, and old porsche Boxster, Ford trucks etc.. guess what folks THEY ALL FAIL.. Even Honda and Toyota and subaru we have had them also.. It is the price we pay for nice vehicles and having the privilege to use them.... If mine fails or has failed I guess I will ahve to pay the piper. I am not confident Ford will step up but we will see if and when time comes. Till then ill keep drivin the Tank

It's not about it failing. It's about what happens if it fails without warning you.

My 2015 f350 has 47k. Couple months ago pulled into an Applebees parking lot to have lunch. Came out, coolant on ground under truck slowly creeping to the middle of the lot (was on an angle). Worst case, water pump gets replaced, top off coolant, be on your way. No warning but coolant on ground is a guarantee.

Explorer.. water pump goes, you have no idea. Worst case, leaks into engine destroys motor and you are out 7 grand.

See the difference?

Exactly. This is an absolute failure to warn text book case. The manufacturer has a duty to inform of a potentially serious product liability and a clear design defect

Guys I agree.. yes its not about the failure but I was hearing people dising Ford because of the failure not the failure to step up to the plate.

It’s a bad deal all the way around and Ford sticking it to customers with failed engines does not help their case. $7000 repair with absolutely zero warning is unbelievable to me. Hopefully the failure rate is very low.

Too bad Ford cut a corner with lack of warning light and coolant missing from my display (I have to select it), I have a base model. Along with the many other corners they cut.

Too bad Ford cut a corner with lack of warning light and coolant missing from my display (I have to select it), I have a base model. Along with the many other corners they cut.

What do you by having to select it?

I am curious to what he means as well...

My guess is op is referring to the coolant temperature on left display. You can toggle it on and off with tachometer and other options.

Problem is if you have high coolant temp due to coolant leaking past water pump, you have lost a lot of coolant and it is too late. Your in final stages of engine failure at that point.

My guess is op is referring to the coolant temperature on left display. You can toggle it on and off with tachometer and other options.

Problem is if you have high coolant temp due to coolant leaking past water pump, you have lost a lot of coolant and it is too late. Your in final stages of engine failure at that point.

Uhm, this must be trim specific as I don't see that in mine..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back