New rotors coated on one side in grey primer type paint. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rotors coated on one side in grey primer type paint.

johnnnyo

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all, question about some new Motorcraft rotors I picked up from the dealer. I plan on calling them to ask as well. They are both coated on the outer facing side only with a grey color paint. Is this a protective coating that should be left on during the install or do I need to remove the coating prior to install? I've never seen rotors coated in this way. Thanks in advance for any input

20190501_093024.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Google "coated brake rotors"
I did and there are many different answers. Been doing brakes for over 30yrs and never seen a coating like this on one side of the rotor. I usually use rotors with the coating on the hub and vent fins.

The coating on the face of the rotor will wear off.
Cheaper and faster to coat the entire rotor that to mask off certain areas.

The coating on the face of the rotor will wear off.
Cheaper and faster to coat the entire rotor that to mask off certain areas.
That does make sense. I'm wondering why just one side of the rotor only is coated.

That does make sense. I'm wondering why just one side of the rotor only is coated.
My best guest...more exposed to the elements?

Possibly. Maybe someone who has used these will chime in. Thx guys.

keeps the wheels looking good. Imagine if that was all rusty colored. That is why the visible side is coated on good rotors
Is that an educated answer or just your opinion? After all you did tell me to use google to find my answer.

The rotors will eventually rust regardless. Did you notice the paper that the rotors were wrapped in? Well that’s Ford’s magic paper, for whatever reason the rotors will not rust in storage when wrapped in that paper. If only they could wrap my Sport in that paper

Oh BTW. Those rotors are Fords replacement for the vented hat design.

The rotors will eventually rust regardless. Did you notice the paper that the rotors were wrapped in? Well that’s Ford’s magic paper, for whatever reason the rotors will not rust in storage when wrapped in that paper. If only they could wrap my Sport in that paper
Well I guess like some relationships the magic doesn't last, lol.

20190501_125945.jpg

I replaced my rear rotors last spring, and I know for sure the outside was coated like yours.
I don't remember if the insides were coated or not.
I tried spraying, wiping off, but determined it would just wear away after using the brakes a few times.
Didn't take more than 1-2 rounds around the block before the pad surface was clean.

Haha! We both must live in the rust belt.

Is that an educated answer or just your opinion? After all you did tell me to use google to find my answer.
educated from experience, but I will admit on only 2 vehicles.

LOL wut? Ford's magic paper? It's vci paper or corrosion inhibitor paper.

The last coated rotors I purchased recently were fully coated. The coating on the braking surface will wear off quickly. I can't believe whoever made those masked the center of the hub and didn't coat the back at all. That's a pretty half ass way of doing things just to save a few pennies. If they are coated right, they will stay mostly rust free for years. I live in MI and only use coated rotors on my good vehicles. Beaters or those getting sold soon get whatever is cheapest.

LOL wut? Ford's magic paper? It's vci paper or corrosion inhibitor paper.

The last coated rotors I purchased recently were fully coated. The coating on the braking surface will wear off quickly. I can't believe whoever made those masked the center of the hub and didn't coat the back at all. That's a pretty half ass way of doing things just to save a few pennies. If they are coated right, they will stay mostly rust free for years. I live in MI and only use coated rotors on my good vehicles. Beaters or those getting sold soon get whatever is cheapest.
Purchased from the dealer. Guess that paper doesn't work that well. It is messed up that only one side is coated.

I recently put new Motorcraft rotors on our '15. They were 100% coated both sides. The fronts were vented as well. Like Kaygee said, the area that makes contact with the pads will come off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently put new Motorcraft rotors on our '15. They were 100% coated both sides. The fronts were vented as well. Like Kaygee said, the area that makes contact with the pads will come off.
Thx . Think I'll contact the dealer tomorrow and ask about the one sided coating

Back