VIS Conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

VIS Conversion

Where would the broke end connect? If I understand Sedition correctly and it robs me of power I may want to leave it disconnected...

EXP_1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's usually not a good idea to leave a broken vacuum hose unrepaired. There will be unmetered air entering the intake manifold resulting in a lean condition. If you want to disable the VIS you can plug the broken hose at the source side to eliminate intake of unmetered air. The PCM activates the VIS vacuum motor at 3,000 rpm to shorten the intake runners length. If you normally drive at low engine speeds then you would want to keep the runners at the longer length to improve torque. If there is no vacuum to the vacuum motor then nothing will change at 3,000 rpm.

It's usually not a good idea to leave a broken vacuum hose unrepaired. There will be unmetered air entering the intake manifold resulting in a lean condition. If you want to disable the VIS you can plug the broken hose at the source side to eliminate intake of unmetered air. The PCM activates the VIS vacuum motor at 3,000 rpm to shorten the intake runners length. If you normally drive at low engine speeds then you would want to keep the runners at the longer length to improve torque. If there is no vacuum to the vacuum motor then nothing will change at 3,000 rpm.

OK I agree that I should not leave it unplugged. Where does this end plug into? For the life of me, I can not find it.

EXP_2.JPG

Are you certain that the broken hose near the blower motor associated with the VIS? It may go to the vacuum reservoir located at the lower right front of the vehicle.

The first photo in post #3 shows the vacuum assembly. The large tube connects to the source of vacuum. The vacuum motor should be connected to the VIS vacuum solenoid which is shown in the lower left corner of the 2nd photo in post #2. Follow the other hose in the pair connected to the VIS vacuum solenoid.

I am sorry for being so dense, but I just don't get what you are trying to tell me. The broken hose is currently connected to the Variable intake Solenoid shown below.
upload_2019-5-16_13-38-27.png

I need to figure out where the other end connects. I have looked and just can't find it.

Back