Creaking mirror on drivers side and Ford in denial | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Creaking mirror on drivers side and Ford in denial

My drivers side mirror just started doing this today. I have 44,000 miles and an extended warranty, anyone know if that will cover a bad mirror?
Side and rear view mirrors are not covered under Ford's ESP according to the ESP brochure.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well as the OP to this thread I can say that I will be taking my explorer back for this same creaking mirror now that the weather has warmed up again. During the winter months there was no issue with the creaking.

Mine does this once we get over about 90 degrees and occasionally I'll put some white lithium grease in the joints. It is what it is...

Mirrors might be covered depending on what the failure point is. Glass is not covered, but "power mirrors" are specifically included under PremiumCARE.

Mirrors might be covered depending on what the failure point is. Glass is not covered, but "power mirrors" are specifically included under PremiumCARE.
You are correct. Depending on what the issue is. I was reading the 'exclusions' part and not the items under 'Electrical' when I posted earlier.:(

Peter

My wife's 2016 has been in twice for this on the Driver's mirror. Never fixed. Worse when really cold (MN 20 below cold) or warm (MN 80+)
We gave up and just cuss about how such a classy looking vehicle sounds like a cheap pile to everyone around when we park now. Lol.

My wife's 2016 has been in twice for this on the Driver's mirror. Never fixed. Worse when really cold (MN 20 below cold) or warm (MN 80+)
We gave up and just cuss about how such a classy looking vehicle sounds like a cheap pile to everyone around when we park now. Lol.
You could always turn the 'auto' fold feature off and just use the fold button if and when you wanted them folded if it really bothers you that much.;)

Peter

The ghetto creaking is better than having them smashed by idiots in parking lots, or hooked by children bicycling too close, despite being told SEVENTHOUSANDTIMES not to bike so close to the cars.
;)
We're hoping just getting a new one here shortly solves it. Then the dealer will have to solve it in recon for the next person. Hopefully.
lol

Seriously, the mirror being annoying, and the seat memory function slowly getting further and further away from where you set it every time you drive it are my only complaints about the last 2 we've had, so it's not the end of the world. :)
(Well, that and Ford removing the power adjustable pedals from the Sport for the 2018 and 2019s we are entertaining... for no good reason. ARGH.)

……….(Well, that and Ford removing the power adjustable pedals from the Sport for the 2018 and 2019s we are entertaining... for no good reason. ARGH.)
The 2018 Owner's Manual shows the power adjustable pedals and how they work on page 80.

Peter

I know very well how they work. My last 2 had them. Hell, my mom's 2003 Windstar had them.

They are no longer available on the Sport or Limited anymore though. They are standard on the Platinum and available on nothing else anymore.

Not available at all on 18 or 19 non Platinum Explorers.

Which is rather a PITA when your wife is 4'11 and you are 6'2...

Frigging 15 year old Windstar tech... Can't get it on a $50,000 Sport. Dumb.

I'd just get the Platinum, and I brought one home for her to check out, but the wife doesn't want "her grandpa's Explorer" lol. (Too much Chrome and wood.)

I like the dash and door panels on the Platinum myself, but yeah... More shiny outside than I'd prefer too. 3 grand more for a leather dash and the pedals, and then having an outside she didn't like was too much to bear.

I'd probably have sprung the 3 grand for the pedals, dash, and doors if you could get it with the Sport suspension and exterior though.

Oh well. We're gonna try it without the pedals.

The ghetto creaking is better than having them smashed by idiots in parking lots, or hooked by children bicycling too close, despite being told SEVENTHOUSANDTIMES not to bike so close to the cars.
;)
We're hoping just getting a new one here shortly solves it. Then the dealer will have to solve it in recon for the next person. Hopefully.
lol

Seriously, the mirror being annoying, and the seat memory function slowly getting further and further away from where you set it every time you drive it are my only complaints about the last 2 we've had, so it's not the end of the world. :)
(Well, that and Ford removing the power adjustable pedals from the Sport for the 2018 and 2019s we are entertaining... for no good reason. ARGH.)

Well, the seat memory problem can be fixed by the dealer...
Incorrect Memory Seat Operation and/or Easy Entry/Exit Seat Operation - 2016 Ford Explorer & Lincoln MKX

I have manual-folding mirrors. No creaking whatsoever.:)

Which is rather a PITA when your wife is 4'11 and you are 6'2...

Frigging 15 year old Windstar tech... Can't get it on a $50,000 Sport. Dumb.

I'd just get the Platinum, and I brought one home for her to check out, but the wife doesn't want "her grandpa's Explorer" lol. (Too much Chrome and wood.)

I like the dash and door panels on the Platinum myself, but yeah... More shiny outside than I'd prefer too. 3 grand more for a leather dash and the pedals, and then having an outside she didn't like was too much to bear.

I'd probably have sprung the 3 grand for the pedals, dash, and doors if you could get it with the Sport suspension and exterior though.

Oh well. We're gonna try it without the pedals.
Just went back and looked at that part of the Manual that refers to the adjustable pedals and it says "if equipped". I guess I missed that notation.:(

Peter

Strange decontenting to lose the pedals... stuff that happens toward the end of a model run.

Well, we trial fit her, and she's going to suffer through reaching the pedals in exchange for a new ride. Lol
Her Nl ew 18 Sport doesn't have the pedals, but it also doesn't creak when folding the mirrors anymore.
Win some, lose some. Lol

The upgraded Stereo is a LOT better than the 16s was!

Well, we trial fit her, and she's going to suffer through reaching the pedals in exchange for a new ride. Lol
Her Nl ew 18 Sport doesn't have the pedals, but it also doesn't creak when folding the mirrors anymore.
Win some, lose some. Lol

The upgraded Stereo is a LOT better than the 16s was!
Both of my folding mirrors bind, click and shake intermittently when unfolding. When they stop, sometimes they stop in the correct position and other times pointing up or down. They never both act up at the same time. Mine have been doing this since I bough the car. I have had it in the shop many, many times. They can't make it happen. I live in Houston, TX so I can't say temperature has anything to do with it. Just got the car out of the shop for a CK ENGINE LITE and they couldn't have it happen this time either and no service bulletin.

Back