D44 woes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D44 woes

So before I trash the whole truck, I've been fighting an axle seal leak on my 76 f150 d44 in my ranger. The right inner axle seal refuses to seal. I've put three seals in and a new inner shaft, still leaks gear oil.

My axle had national #5131 seals in it when I got it(it's been rebuilt and wheeled with). The other style (#2300 on broncograveyard) does not fit my axle. Are there any other options to try and seal this thing up??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I came across that back in November lol. Brand new shaft and seals, so they aren't worn out. The vent line is not plugged at all.

This is also leaking with truck sitting in driveway, vent line would only be with a letter spinning anyway right?

Only other thing is maybe overfilled? I have a flat pinion angle and the inner Cs were turned. Maybe that puts the fill plug higher up? It's a constant drip, every couple seconds, for a few hours I watched it while I fought swapping out my tcase earlier. I'll check and see how much is left in there when I get another chance.

D44's take 2 quarts of fluid. When I did my SAS, I installed a SOLID diff cover. It has a fill plug above the OEM plug location. It took about 3 quarts and I shortly blew out my seals, and fluid was seeping out of one of the plug welds. That was after a long off-road expedition style trip. Now, I put 2 quarts in and check the level with a zip tie as a dip stick. I have a narrowed HP D44 out of a 1976 F-150.

I had a seal start leaking after I changed out the axle shaft U-joints. I called a axle builder I trust (MIT) and he said whenever the seals are disturbed, they usually start to leak. He only recommends Spicer seals, says they last longer.

How are you installing the new seals?

Any chance you are deforming the seal with the install?

Did the new seals go in easy, or did you have to use some force?

I have the stock cover, just with about 1-3° pinion angle. I did my last trip with the seal leaking.
It's mostly it's the same seal 3 times now. Even replacing the other one it never leaked.

I found a socket that fit in the seal on the metal part and used my jack handle through the other tube to hammer it in. Didn't have to beat the crap out of it, but there was normal pressure I'd say to press it in. If I was deforming it, the driver side would have issues also as I used the same method.

I never thought of using a jack handle through the opposite tube, that's good garage mechanic stuff. I used a socket like you did, but put a extension on it and used a dead blow hammer to tap it in through the housing.

I know of 3 different seals used in the dana 44s.

I bought the 2300 (national brand) and they were too big for my 77 f150 Dana 44.

the nitro gear master (ring and pinion) install kit i bought also came with seal that were even bigger than the 2300s. The 5131s worked for my rig

I checked the OD of the seals that came out with i did the rebuild (even though they looked ok) They Mic'd at 2.27.

Orielly had 2.27, 2.28 and i think a 3.xx axle shaft seal available.

The only other thing i can think of is that the axle tube itself is damaged/worped.

You might try some high quality RTV on the OD surface of the seals and try and get them to seal. ASSUMING the outside of the seal is leaking.

If it is the inside of the seal, I have seen seal wear a small groove in shafts, pinions, crankshafts, ect that will cause a leak. Check your shafts and see if there is a groove warn into them causing the leak.

while you are there, check the OD of the shafts and compair them to the seals, the shafts should be a few tho thicker for a tight seal.

Been a minute, I lost interest and had a lot of other stuff going on. Some family stuff, some health stuff, and I had to move. But I'm good now, and I've got the motivation to fix the truck again.

Been back on it the last week or so, I was using the national 5131s. This time I bought the skf 13165 ones. They're the same except Nationals shaft bore is 1.318" and the skf are 1.313". Maybe that fixed it, or the fact that I globbed a bunch of black rtv behind where the seal goes, and coated the surface the seal sits on. But no leaks even with driving it with the shafts spinning!

So I think I'm good, thanks for the help!

Back