Class 7s Desert Race Truck Revival | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class 7s Desert Race Truck Revival

I saw on Instagram you’re planning to race this thing again? That’s awesome, I hope you do!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I'd like to. 7s is alive and well in the CODE and RECORD series' in Baja. They typically get around 20 entries every race.

Got it all back up & running and took it in for a real alignment.

70I4aRi.jpg

D3rj2rp.jpg

Interior is cleaned up pretty good. The blacks seats sat too high and will require cutting out/replacing tubes. I’m going to get some dirt miles in before I dive into that project.

JmKma2o.jpg

uDytjOz.jpg

Last big thing on the list is to replace the bent rear axle housing.

Looking good, gives me a lot of good ideas about a roll bar in my rig.

The truck is just about as ready. Of course the first time in the dirt I'm heading down to Mexico. The maintenance/repairs list has been overwhelming. I cant wait to do upgrades and cosmetics. After about a month of owning it I have done the following:

Rebuilt all 4 shocks
New radius arm bushings
New radius arm cross member
New bump stops
New alignment cams/alignment
New limit straps
New battery/wiring locating it to the rear cargo area
Re-wired all of the switches into the dash
Cut out passenger area X and added rear seats
Swapped out the rear end (old one had the plug weld let loose form the center section)
New shackle pivot bushings
New U Bolts
New spring plates
Fixed a wiring issue that the previous owner completely overlooked (battery was not charging!)
Fixed a couple cracks in the engine cage, new gussets, and a new tube to tie the engine cage to the cab cage
Fixed an extremely loose shifter

I think that's it. I leave for Mexico Friday morning, I am pumped!

Mzf09Ol.jpg

Bdh3mEr.jpg

Baja never disappoints. We left early Friday morning & crossed through Tecate to head down a familiar path called the Compadre Trail. Overall the trail is pretty smooth, but it does have some great rollers. The Explorer was able to handle whatever I threw at it, and even got all 4 tires off the ground a few times. After the trail we hit got tacos in Valle De Trinidad and continued on to Pete's camp in San Felipe. On race day I rode in a Raptor, and wanted to be back in the Explorer! Zero issues, and the hood never came up. Our drive home was over 6 hours including long waits at a Military check point and at the border. No issues with over heating or charging. I am extremely happy with the truck and I am really looking forward to the cosmetic and comfort upgrades that will be happening over summer!
XXoHFKB.jpg

Yrsk0Vz.jpg

WVbLfoK.jpg

zThePac.jpg

QucUKDX.jpg

y0QSNbY.jpg

nBNmFNk.jpg

Tuhboob.jpg

0ambAXo.jpg

YZQwcAt.jpg

SnMthFf.jpg

8zFZQgL.jpg

Weekend mountain run. Every trip helps me refine this thing better. Rear end is blowing through the travel too fast and causing some ass kicking. Idler pulley is about to let loose, but overall solid & good times.
6Bz3hCq.jpg

IJZRJe8.jpg

qBrbgA5.jpg

that is one cute kid! Looks like he was having a blast.
Thanks for sharing, that is one nice gen I!

Trevor is a lucky kid! I love it that he is always on your adventures!

The 7s is looking good. I kept thinking it had a big lift on it, then I realized it has a body lift on it too.

I had the best intentions to do a red white and blue Rough Riders theme, but I started thinking about the upgrades that I have planned. In the next year this thing will have a new hood, fenders, & rear door/quarter panels, so it just wasn’t worth the extra work! This color is really close to the Avalanche grey on new Raptors.

90E80DX.jpg

Love the color, wish they offered this color on the new Rangers

What is your front bumper fabbed from? Looks awesome!
upload_2019-5-20_19-17-11.png

Ah, it looked like bedlined steel!

Bad ass Travis. Still have the Bronco?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that so? Might know a guy

Back