New rotors coated on one side in grey primer type paint. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rotors coated on one side in grey primer type paint.

Hey johnnyo. Were you able to get a reply to your rotor coating question? Did my brakes yesterday. The fronts were a breeze, not much in the way of rust build up in the caliper bracket. The rear was a bit of a pain if you don't rent / buy the caliper resetting tool. There was a lot of rust jacking under the pads which is a known issue for previous Explorer models. I will check the rear pads yearly for this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey johnnyo. Were you able to get a reply to your rotor coating question? Did my brakes yesterday. The fronts were a breeze, not much in the way of rust build up in the caliper bracket. The rear was a bit of a pain if you don't rent / buy the caliper resetting tool. There was a lot of rust jacking under the pads which is a known issue for previous Explorer models. I will check the rear pads yearly for this.
I'm going to wait another 1k miles before I put the new pads and rotors on. Still have a little meat left on the pads. Thanks for the heads up on the rears, I'll take a look.

Yeah same with mine, the fronts were down to 6mm, but I was there already. The rears although were not seized yet they were down to 2mm and showed some cracking in the pad material.

Yeah same with mine, the fronts were down to 6mm, but I was there already. The rears although were not seized yet they were down to 2mm and showed some cracking in the pad material.
How many miles on the front and rear brakes?

60,000 km or 37,282 miles

60,000 km or 37,282 miles
Wow thats kind of low for brakes unless youre a little hard on them or live in a busy city.

meh? 40k miles is about average I've read. I could have gone on much more with the fronts pads and I'm sure as will most vehicles the braking is front bias. The rears are a problem, the pads were partially seized inside the brackets. I'll defiantly service that bracket every spring when the snows come off.

40k on a set of brakes is pretty reasonable.

40k on a set of brakes is pretty reasonable.
I should have been more clear in my response. In my opinion for the front I would say that's a little low compared to the 50k I usually get but it all depends on your driving and where your driving but for the rear that is low. I've had vehicles with rear brakes lasting 60k-70k.

Most vehicles don’t have the rust binding issue that can eat a set of pads and rotors in a few hundred miles like this generation of Explorer.

I wasn't even aware of the issue with the explore brakes until recently. Guess I'll keep a close eye on both front and especially the rear from now on.

I could have done another 20-20k miles on the front pads.
My 2003 Nissan Altima would chew through rear pads in less time if I wasn’t servicing them yearly

I wouldn’t be a bad ideal to check on the price of a replacement bracket, I’m sure some dealer service would just replace the bracket when it gets to a severe point.

Back