2010 Explorer Limited Head Unit and cameras Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer Limited Head Unit and cameras Install

GodStang

Reaction score
City, State
SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Limited
***Working Copy: Will update with pictures as its not letting me at this time***

Well as much as I enjoyed the factory Sync 1 head unit in my 2010 Ford Explorer Limited I felt it was time to upgrade. I had factory navigation with no cameras and the rear sub-woofer and no rear entertainment. My maps were out dated by many years and I wanted cameras so this felt like the perfect time.

Parts Used:
Kenwood DNX995S
Maestro iDatalink Rr
Maestro FO1
SXV300 XMradio Tuner
BAA20 Ford Antenna Adapter
BKFMK540 Radio mounting bracket
Echomaster Camera CAM-LP1-N (used for front and rear cameras)

E5661CF7-0E13-4BE0-B136-549FADE04BF7_zpsepviuqsg.jpg

Here is a picture of the lovely stock unit in all its glory:

IMG_2681_zpsj1gjpumd.jpg

As far as removing trim pieces this was one of the easiest cars I have ever dealt with. I removed and reinstalled many many panels with little trouble.

Front and back of the stock unit.

IMG_2719_zpseo3vqe47.jpg

IMG_2721_zpsctxup1lj.jpg

IMG_2723_zpsl8bzmp9a.jpg

Here are the stock Satellite antennas. Pink is GPS (could not reuse) and Yellow/Tan is XMradio. I removed the plastic clip on the XMradio and plugged into the SXV300 tuner and taped it up to keep using my factory Satellite antenna on top of the car. I could not reuse the GPS one so I added the one it came with and just tucked it up under the blinking red light that has a nice ledge behind the radio.

IMG_2730_zpstjt49njw.jpg

IMG_2731_zpsci5g5lfv.jpg

IMG_2732_zpsjjmgyntq.jpg

IMG_2734_zpskc9vzaa8.jpg

The hardest part was making sure you wired the idatalink correctly.

IMG_2733_zpsbrkfdyfy.jpg

While running the rear camera wire I decided to take off the rear side panel and look at the stock 8" amp. That is a project to come soon.

IMG_2748_zpscgoqklum.jpg

Here it is testing before going back in:

IMG_2753_zpsfeqtpo28.jpg

IMG_2754_zpsgdtbrhvz.jpg

IMG_2755_zpsjaztljqx.jpg

Here is the final fitment:

IMG_2759_zpslrvd2ybs.jpg

Overall I am very happy with the install. Still learning the head unit. I did not know the front camera came on when under 5mph and I wired it to the parking lights so half the time I just get a black screen. Need to fix that. The speakers sound much better but still need some upgrades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures don’t render for me....

How is the front panel held in? Do you have to remove part of the center console?
I'm looking to replace my head unit with a new one here in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks.

How is the front panel held in? Do you have to remove part of the center console?
I'm looking to replace my head unit with a new one here in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks.

Under the center console lid is two bolts. I removed them and the rest was just clips in place kinda pull out and up at the same time. After that there is 4 bolts holding the actual radio in place. Never had a car that was this easy.

Wow, that was easy. I picked up a new head unit and I'm in the process of wiring it up. where did you pull power for the parking brake wire?
Thanks for the help.

Wow, that was easy. I picked up a new head unit and I'm in the process of wiring it up. where did you pull power for the parking brake wire?
Thanks for the help.

Are you using an idatalink cable? It has us splice the light green cable to the light green cable that plugged into the main wiring harness.

I'm replacing a single CD unit without navigation, and using a universal swc adapter. that problem seems to be fixed. I have this pink wire that has tagged for parking brake lights.
i think it has something to do with a disable feature to keep the dvd from playing while you're driving down the road. oh well, back to the manual tonight after work.

I'm replacing a single CD unit without navigation, and using a universal swc adapter. that problem seems to be fixed. I have this pink wire that has tagged for parking brake lights.
i think it has something to do with a disable feature to keep the dvd from playing while you're driving down the road. oh well, back to the manual tonight after work.

Ya sorry I can't help you there. Mine was a Green wire from the head unit to a green wire on the master plug but mine was a whole navi unit.

***Working Copy: Will update with pictures as its not letting me at this time***

Well as much as I enjoyed the factory Sync 1 head unit in my 2010 Ford Explorer Limited I felt it was time to upgrade. I had factory navigation with no cameras and the rear sub-woofer and no rear entertainment. My maps were out dated by many years and I wanted cameras so this felt like the perfect time.

Parts Used:
Kenwood DNX995S
Maestro iDatalink Rr
Maestro FO1
SXV300 XMradio Tuner
BAA20 Ford Antenna Adapter
BKFMK540 Radio mounting bracket
Echomaster Camera CAM-LP1-N (used for front and rear cameras)

View attachment 314468

Here is a picture of the lovely stock unit in all its glory:

View attachment 314469

As far as removing trim pieces this was one of the easiest cars I have ever dealt with. I removed and reinstalled many many panels with little trouble.

Front and back of the stock unit.

View attachment 314470

View attachment 314471

View attachment 314472

Here are the stock Satellite antennas. Pink is GPS (could not reuse) and Yellow/Tan is XMradio. I removed the plastic clip on the XMradio and plugged into the SXV300 tuner and taped it up to keep using my factory Satellite antenna on top of the car. I could not reuse the GPS one so I added the one it came with and just tucked it up under the blinking red light that has a nice ledge behind the radio.

View attachment 314473

View attachment 314474

View attachment 314475

View attachment 314476

The hardest part was making sure you wired the idatalink correctly.

View attachment 314477

While running the rear camera wire I decided to take off the rear side panel and look at the stock 8" amp. That is a project to come soon.

View attachment 314478

Here it is testing before going back in:

View attachment 314479

View attachment 314480

View attachment 314481

Here is the final fitment:

View attachment 314482

Overall I am very happy with the install. Still learning the head unit. I did not know the front camera came on when under 5mph and I wired it to the parking lights so half the time I just get a black screen. Need to fix that. The speakers sound much better but still need some upgrades.
Hopefully you see this soon as i'm installing an idatalink rr in my 2010 explorer sport. What wire did your red/pink wire from the Fo1 harness tie into for the steering wheel?

Back