Alloy vs steel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alloy vs steel

Just trying to get some opinions about wheels. Let me hear some pros and cons of each type. I know alloy is lighter, steel is cheaper, some believe alloy is better looking etc. Let me hear what you think, give me some examples...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just trying to get some opinions about wheels. Let me hear some pros and cons of each type. I know alloy is lighter, steel is cheaper, some believe alloy is better looking etc. Let me hear what you think, give me some examples...

Steel is generally used during winter, as sand and salt on the roads can damage alloys.

Steel is generally used during winter, as sand and salt on the roads can damage alloys.
@RhinoQuartz
I've actually seen steel rims rusted so badly that the center portion broke away, allowing the wheel and tire to fall off, the nutted center remaining bolted on. imp

Well, I'm in Mesa AZ. Not a lot of road salt here. But I will keep that in mind.

@RhinoQuartz
I've actually seen steel rims rusted so badly that the center portion broke away, allowing the wheel and tire to fall off, the nutted center remaining bolted on. imp

:eek: Well that's not encouraging. Then again, I had my alloys with all seasons this past winter. Worked pretty well.

A steel wheel you hammer a dent back out of keep going. A aluminum wheel will crack and shater. These are extrem cases though.

I have however dented a wheel offroading, lost air, pounded the dent out, reseated the tire and went on.

Or you could just put the spare on:dunno:

For street use, I would choose alloy wheels. They are easy to balance, lighter and won't rust.

A steel wheel you hammer a dent back out of keep going. A aluminum wheel will crack and shater. These are extrem cases though.

I have however dented a wheel offroading, lost air, pounded the dent out, reseated the tire and went on.

Or you could just put the spare on:dunno:
What’s this “spare” you speak of? :laugh:

Unless I had a truck that was for serious off-roading I’d want aluminum. Typically steelies were used in the winter because they were cheaper, but aluminum wheels have come WAY down in price.

I'd always go for alloys, specifically, aluminum alloys which are far more durable in my opinion.

Aluminum wheels are nicer and there are lots of choices. But keep them clean in the Winter with any salted roads. Those kinds of salts will eat the clear coat that most AL wheels have. I put an extra one on my 99 as a spare so they'd all be the same. The spare after a few years looked like hell, the clear was ruined, just from being under the truck unused.

All I know is that alloy wheels are lighter than steel rims. Also, steel is durable compared to alloy which makes it perfect for winter.

Back