What is this thing on my roof?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this thing on my roof??

Rich9191

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer platinum
Hi I am new to the explorer community and just purchased a used 2017 explorer platinum today. For the life of me I can not figure out what this thing is on the roof. It is threaded so something should obviously be screwed on to it but I am not sure if this is something someone added aftermarket or if this is stock. It sits near the top of the roof rail above the driver door. I was thinking something to do with park assist as I do get a little error when I go in reverse with a picture of a car with a red exclamation in the middle of it. Any help would be much appreciated. My googling so far has not returned much results.
IMG_20190424_222352.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I am new to the explorer community and just purchased a used 2017 explorer platinum today. For the life of me I can not figure out what this thing is on the roof. It is threaded so something should obviously be screwed on to it but I am not sure if this is something someone added aftermarket or if this is stock. It sits near the top of the roof rail above the driver door. I was thinking something to do with park assist as I do get a little error when I go in reverse with a picture of a car with a red exclamation in the middle of it. Any help would be much appreciated. My googling so far has not returned much results. View attachment 169784

Would you happen to have a photo of the surrounding area? I've never seen such a device. Where on the roof is it located?

Here is another picture. Sorry the lighting is not great. It sits between the sunroof and the roof rail.
IMG_20190424_231326.jpg

Looks exactly like the hard mount for the CB radio antenna I used to have.

Thanks guys much appreciated. Time to find out where the other end of it goes :)

Look up "Motorola NMO"

Thanks guys much appreciated. Time to find out where the other end of it goes :)
It should come out somewhere in the under dash area, most common spot for a CB. Somewhere within reach of the driver. Or possibly the center console...

That is an NMO mount for a ham radio antenna.
It required a 3/4 inch hole to be drilled thru the roof for the bottom clamping device.
The last vehicle I had my rig mounted in was the Highlander. I used mag mounts and ran the lead in through the tailgate.

Peter

Good news is: If you wanted an antenna mounted on your roof it's a good NMO antenna mount and will give you great reception.

Bad news is: Someone drilled a 3/4" hole in the roof of your vehicle and one day it possibly could leak.

Did you find the cable that connected to the antenna?

I have this on my PIU, looks exactly the same.

Back