• Register Today It's free!

Windshield wiper smearing

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
The driver's side wiper on my Explorer is smearing on the return swipe. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the center part of that blade has more contact on the windshield on the return swipe, causing the smearing. I'm not sure which way to bend/twist/adjust the arm. It seems like I need less tension on the center of that blade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have beam type blades - there is no real adjustment. Either clean them or toss them and replace.

If you don't have beam type blades, toss yours and get the beam type.

I'm talking about the arms and not the blades. I tried new blades and it does the same thing because the arms are pushing the blades the wron way (too much pressure at the center on return swipe)

If it is an 18 then drop by the dealer and ask them to do it. That way if it brakes they will replace it. I have not had to bend an arm in years for pressure.

I'm talking about the arms and not the blades. I tried new blades and it does the same thing because the arms are pushing the blades the wron way (too much pressure at the center on return swipe)
The arms are spring loaded and I'm not sure bending them will do much to change the "pressure" they apply. If you are under warranty, let the dealer handle as mentioned above.

Driver side is a big blade. May have to try a different brand of blade. My fusion has 26 on both sides and some blades are just more finicky than others.

Road-trip to the dealer I think

It's out of warranty (2016) but I'm sure the dealer will say normal or unable to reproduce problem, then charge me a diagnostic fee.

It's out of warranty (2016) but I'm sure the dealer will say normal or unable to reproduce problem, then charge me a diagnostic fee.
So, is this a new problem or has it been doing this a while? Does it smear even with brand new blades or is it okay with new blades and starts smearing after some time.

In my experience, all beam blades seem to apply more pressure in the center and some brands of blades are better than others. I just buy my beam blades in bulk for $2-3 each and change them every 6 months or whenever I feel like it. I do wipe/clean them periodically.

Been awhile and does it with with ne2 lads/.

Maybe Super Clean your windshield and see if that helps.

I do this on my GT500 as well as my F150 and EX. I don't have any problem with skip smears or anything else. Also I use windshield washer fluid on a blue scott towel to clean the inside of the windshield.

A tip use up and down motion on the outside and a side to side motion on the inside. This way you can tell where if smears are. When I stop for gas I use the windshield clean on a paper towel to wipe the wiper blades to keep them clean.

Who know maybe this will help I know it wont hurt.

Maybe Super Clean your windshield and see if that helps.

I do this on my GT500 as well as my F150 and EX. I don't have any problem with skip smears or anything else. Also I use windshield washer fluid on a blue scott towel to clean the inside of the windshield.

A tip use up and down motion on the outside and a side to side motion on the inside. This way you can tell where if smears are. When I stop for gas I use the windshield clean on a paper towel to wipe the wiper blades to keep them clean.

Who know maybe this will help I know it wont hurt.
Winter blends of washer solvent often contain methanol or other chemicals and it may not be ideal to put them on a rag or paper towel that will be in prolonged contact with your skin. Just putting that out there so folks are aware. Not telling anyone what to do, but hopefully you choose to wear rubber gloves if you do this.

A simple mixture of 50/50 white vinegar and water is a safe and effective option for cleaning glass. If you want to go old school, use newspaper instead of a rag or paper towel.

First thing I thought was maybe some kind of grease or rsesidue, but cleaned it well and still does it.

Winter blends of washer solvent often contain methanol or other chemicals and it may not be ideal to put them on a rag or paper towel that will be in prolonged contact with your skin. Just putting that out there so folks are aware. Not telling anyone what to do, but hopefully you choose to wear rubber gloves if you do this.

A simple mixture of 50/50 white vinegar and water is a safe and effective option for cleaning glass. If you want to go old school, use newspaper instead of a rag or paper towel.

Agree with wearing gloves.... when i was much younger and dumber, i cleaned my car's plastic elements with black magic, bare hands... oh boy... :D

Update: I even replaced the blade with a new Bosch Icon and it still smeared with the old arm. Upon closer inspection the factory blades started to crack at that area, which is what was causing the smearing even with a new wiper arm thinking it was an alignment issue. I replaced the blades with new Trico Neoform OE replacements, and everything works fine now.

Back