2003 Explorer squeal with right turns only (sounds like brakes) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer squeal with right turns only (sounds like brakes)

Floridaexplorer43

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4wd 4 0
New pads last year
Only squeals with right hand turns sounds like a metal on metal squeal. Pads still look like lots of life left. (Aboit 20 mph plus squeals everytime I make a right, sounds like squeal is com8ng from left side)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should check the wheel bearings, a common problem on these older explorers. Plenty of write ups on the forums about how to do them, but the rear bearings need a large press to remove and install the bearing.

You did not say if the noise is coming from the front or rear of the vehicle. The backing plate for the parking brakes on the rear wheels is extremely close to the drum/rotor and can squeal or grind if making contact. The last rotors I installed were slightly closer and I had to touch them up with an angle grinder slightly. Corrosion could also push out the plate creating contact. I replaced mine last year. If you remove the rotor you should be able to see the shiny contact area if this is the problem.
Could also be a bearing as previously suggested but from my experience these bearings usually exhibit a rumbling sound and feel when going bad.

My right side hub was replaced so Im familiar with the rumbling sound.
Its a 4wd.
The squeal is coming from front when I make a right hand turn only, i believe it sounds like coming from front left only when i turn right.

Shop.showed me sway bar and link needs replacement ,link is rubbing on cv axle.

It was the sway bar end links, no more brake like squeal.

The shop was trying to say it might be the hub before ever looking at it. I said might be a lot of things but when they raised it l, the front sway bar emd links were obviously bad and it was rubbing on cv axle.

2003 4wd is still squealing.
When I turn right, I let both windows down sounds like sqealing from left front when I turn right.
I thought bad hub or bearing would cause a roaring sound.

Replaced front pads again, they needed it.
The squealing is from the sway bar link. Sway bar and or link is touching CV axle.
Why did my lifetime front brake pads last a year and a half and lifetime swaybar link last 5 months??

20191126_215321.jpg

20191126_202209.jpg

I'm using semi-metallic pads and have to replace them every 12-18 months.

As for the sway-bar links get the Moog Polyurethane ones instead of rubber ones...

Was told my sway bar is bent maybe that's the root problem. How does a sway bar get bent? Sway is touching my CV axle.

Was told my sway bar is bent maybe that's the root problem. How does a sway bar get bent? Sway is touching my CV axle.

Usually from a wreck...

Or a moron tied a chain to the middle of it to be pulled...

I'd get one from a salvage yard, new is kinda expensive...

90 dollars at Autozone
I hit a small metal chair one night that was left in road. Not aware of any other frontal collisions.

90 dollars at Autozone
I hit a small metal chair one night that was left in road. Not aware of any other frontal collisions.

Around 90 at Ford too.

Which is kinda expensive for a metal bar IMHO...

Be sure you're getting a front one and not a rear one by accident.

Also actually verify that it's bent. It could be something else off, like the control arms.

Which is kinda expensive for a metal bar IMHO...

Be sure you're getting a front one and not a rear one by accident.

Also actually verify that it's bent. It could be something else off, like the control arms.
You are correct. Auto Zone doesn't have the front, they misquoted. Unknown if Ford misquoted but both places I said front.

I got another sway link tonight.....what I'm thinking is using maybe 2x4 and a jack to raise bar to see if link and bushings will fit if I can raise the bar and if I do that it would get it off my CV axle too. I was told by pepbous bad was bent and o know spacer and sway link dont fit bc bar is too low.

If my bar is bent and my sway link bushings were no good did the shop that charged me for alignment commit fraud???
Is good links and good sway bar required for alignment??

Is it customary to have to Jack up sway bar to get sway links and bushings in?

If my bar is bent and my sway link bushings were no good did the shop that charged me for alignment commit fraud???
Is good links and good sway bar required for alignment??

You don't even need a sway bar installed for a alignment. Has nothing to do with it really.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it customary to have to Jack up sway bar to get sway links and bushings in?

Only if you're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to jack up the entire front of the vehicle off the ground so that the sides are even and no torsion is being applied to the bar. I usually put my floor jack in the middle of the beam at the front of the vehicle and get the entire front off the ground then put jack stands on each side of the jack and lower it onto the stands.

I usually work both sides at the same time, going back and forth loosening and tightening both sides. and yes you should be replacing both sides as a set.

Back