Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod

Tho one thing i did notice on the Merc that i didnt on the EB is now the throttle stands about the same height as the brake pedal. Making it real easy to hit both at the same time if you happen to be wearing wide shoes like DC's or work boots.
How many zip-ties did you use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two rather bulky ones. I had what looked like some pretty heavy slack.

Two rather bulky ones. I had what looked like some pretty heavy slack.
Maybe you have too many. Try cutting one off and see if that takes care of the problem. All you want to do is get it at wide open throttle (WOT) with the pedal fully compressed.

what is the kick down cable? or is that a dumb question

I did it to my 96 xlt 4.0, 5sp man.. As some will notice there is a spring wrapped around some plastic tube-like fitting that goes over the cable at the pedal. So the zip ties were out of the question. Improvise!!!!!! I took a hollow plastic wall anchor,(one that looks like a thin piece of licorice) not the tapered kind. I just sliced it top to bottom, cut it to length I needed, pulled the cable back from the spring and slipped it over the cable. I don't agree with 50hp gain, but there is a noticable gain in power, mpg and sound from the throttle body!

Ford throttle cable mod

I found this forum & was wondering if anyone could shed some light for me. I press the gas pedal to the floor & barely get 20-25 mph. It looks like that small plastic pc inside the throttle spring on the cable may be broken (it comes loose from the pedal arm when i lift on the pedal). There is a pic of this already in the thread that looks just like mine. Any help would be great. Thinking of trying the zip tie/plastic anchor ideas to see if it will help.

Is there a way to just PULL OUT the slack on the butterfly valve or gas pedal areas, you know like the way you would pull slack out on a bicycle brake cable, like some sort of screw that can loosen, pull the slack out and then just re tighten it? I figured Ford engineers would be smart enough to put that in there, or do they just want you to replace the cable?

Is there a way to just PULL OUT the slack on the butterfly valve or gas pedal areas, you know like the way you would pull slack out on a bicycle brake cable, like some sort of screw that can loosen, pull the slack out and then just re tighten it? I figured Ford engineers would be smart enough to put that in there, or do they just want you to replace the cable?

In theory the cable does not stretch.

So, the cable does stretch, you can either buy a new one or add zip ties to the old one to remove slack. Your choice, do it.

can this be done to 04 explorer < v6 sohc ?

Stretch

yes, and it can probably be done on most cars with that kind of throttle cable. It basically takes the slack out of the stretched cable. OK, an elongated cable!

Is the slack on the left hand cable what needs to be removed?
20190509_110113.jpg

Two fat zip ties did the trick, thanks. :) So if I was lending the Explorer to somone I would put zip ties on the other cable? ;)

Back