Console Shift Indicator - Does it light the position? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Console Shift Indicator - Does it light the position?

So I just recently traded my 2013 Explorer Sport for a 2019 Explorer Sport, loving it so far. I just noticed though that the gearshift lever indicator on the center console does not light up at night, the PRNDS letters, it’s not a big deal but I remember on my 2013 it used to light up. Was that little light deleted for 2019? Or is mine just burnt out? Wouldn’t surprise me if that light was deleted, since they deleted one of the horns for 2019 also, lol.

Thanks in advance!

Why have I seen this before?

Anyways, no, there is no light on the console from what I remember, only on the IPC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I just recently traded my 2013 Explorer Sport for a 2019 Explorer Sport, loving it so far. I just noticed though that the gearshift lever indicator on the center console does not light up at night, the PRNDS letters, it’s not a big deal but I remember on my 2013 it used to light up. Was that little light deleted for 2019? Or is mine just burnt out? Wouldn’t surprise me if that light was deleted, since they deleted one of the horns for 2019 also, lol.

Thanks in advance!

Your thread has been merged with the current discussion on the same topic.

Thanks in advance!
If you read the preceding posts you will see that the console shifter position does not light up and I don't believe it ever did. Post #36 is a reply from a 2011 owner and he mentioned that it is normal.

Peter

I know that the console shifter does not light up the position when you switch gears, but what I'm asking is aren't the PRNDS letters still supposed to just illuminate at night with the lights on? That's the way it worked in my 2013, wondering if it's still supposed to in the 2019 and mine is broken?, or did they just delete it (cost cutting lol)

The PRNDS letters represent the shifter position and no, they don't light up. My 2017 is the same as yours. It wasn't cost-cutting. If you read the first post which is on a 2012 Explorer you will see that it doesn't light up either. Never has.

Peter

I know that the console shifter does not light up the position when you switch gears, but what I'm asking is aren't the PRNDS letters still supposed to just illuminate at night with the lights on? That's the way it worked in my 2013, wondering if it's still supposed to in the 2019 and mine is broken, or did they just delete it (cost cutting lol)

No their cost cutting came in different ways for the 19MY.

The PRNDS letters represent the shifter position and no, they don't light up. My 2017 is the same as yours. It wasn't cost-cutting. If you read the first post which is on a 2012 Explorer you will see that it doesn't light up either. Never has.

Peter

Okay to clarify, they don't light up to signify which gear you're in, but my 17 definitely lights up all the PRNDS letters in the same teal blue as the rest of the car.

Okay to clarify, they don't light up to signify which gear you're in, but my 17 definitely lights up all the PRNDS letters in the same teal blue as the rest of the car.

You are right.. after all this back and forth I went out to my 11. looking through the window, they are not blue or lit up. As soon as I opened the door, all the letters lit up in the Ice Blue. Just took the video.

You are right.. after all this back and forth I went out to my 11. looking through the window, they are not blue or lit up. As soon as I opened the door, all the letters lit up in the Ice Blue. Just took the video.

Ok that's what I thought, that's how my '13 was also. Hopefully some 2019 owners can chime in and let me know if theirs light up like this is, if so I guess mine came broken from the factory

Ok that's what I thought, that's how my '13 was also. Hopefully some 2019 owners can chime in and let me know if theirs light up like this is, if so I guess mine came broken from the factory

Broken.. or more than likely "unplugged".

Broken.. or more than likely "unplugged".
Maybe it is part of the same option package with the tow hook cutout/cover in the front bumper? Maybe it's just an "Easter egg" and every 2019 has something different from another one?

Maybe they light up with the ambient lighting option? (with the cupholders etc..)

No lights on my '18 Platinum

CA773F51-EB16-4B07-9FD5-D3670D5D0936.jpeg

No lights on my '18 Platinum

You may want to check again...my 18 Sport gear indicator lights up on the center console.

SSM 47793 - 2019 Explorer - Floor Shift Transmission Selector Lever - Floor Shift Gear Selection Indicator (PRNDS) Not Illuminated
2019 Explorer vehicles equipped with a floor shift transmission selector lever are no longer equipped with an illuminated gear selection indicator (PRNDS) on the transmission selector lever assembly. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: UB U502N EXPLORER

SSM 47793 - 2019 Explorer - Floor Shift Transmission Selector Lever - Floor Shift Gear Selection Indicator (PRNDS) Not Illuminated
2019 Explorer vehicles equipped with a floor shift transmission selector lever are no longer equipped with an illuminated gear selection indicator (PRNDS) on the transmission selector lever assembly. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: UB U502N EXPLORER

Thank you!!!

Such an odd change. But glad you guys got clarification.

Ford has done this to many of their vehicles that have floor shift, they are cutting back on ambient lighting (changing to one color versus many) and removing hood liners, probably other things too. Save a little here and there, it adds up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think some may be misunderstanding the purpose of the thread. It questions whether the actual position of the shift lever illuminates similar to that seen in the instrument cluster. The answer is that while the letters PRNDS are illuminated, except for the 2019 model, the actual position that the shifter is in does not The PRNDS display in the dash does.

Peter (forgot to click on reply this morning)

Back