Tim's '93 Sport | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ugh I wish there was an update.... Just been driving it here and there when it’s snowy or if I need the space for hauling stuff. Only took it out on the trails once last year. I’ve only put about 1000 miles on it since I got the Fiesta. Hoping that things will work out to get the engine started by summer. That’s really what’s holding me back from doing much with it. All this down time has given me a lot of time to plan everything needed for the engine. Plus I’ve got my SAS plans close to finished and the suspension design almost finished as well. So I guess there is some benefit here!

Life’s been pretty busy otherwise, getting ready to finally move out of my parents house and I proposed to my girlfriend over New Years! So I’ve got a wedding now on top of everything else:eek:

Ugh I wish there was an update.... Just been driving it here and there when it’s snowy or if I need the space for hauling stuff. Only took it out on the trails once last year. I’ve only put about 1000 miles on it since I got the Fiesta. Hoping that things will work out to get the engine started by summer. That’s really what’s holding me back from doing much with it. All this down time has given me a lot of time to plan everything needed for the engine. Plus I’ve got my SAS plans close to finished and the suspension design almost finished as well. So I guess there is some benefit here!

Life’s been pretty busy otherwise, getting ready to finally move out of my parents house and I proposed to my girlfriend over New Years! So I’ve got a wedding now on top of everything else:eek:

CONGRATULATIONS! What are you planning to use for your SAS? Dana 30 or going bigger. If I do one it will just be a Dana 30 Leaf Sprung. Doing Leaf spring to me seems a lot easier. In my mind anyway. The only reason I would a SAS is to get 35's under her so I can wheel Chinamens Gulch. I have 32's right now and I want so bad to see how well she does with these tires. BUT I need to get her running. Right now there is a 05 Tahoe in my Drive that needs a new trans and I have had no time to get it out to replace it. :-(

CONGRATULATIONS! What are you planning to use for your SAS? Dana 30 or going bigger. If I do one it will just be a Dana 30 Leaf Sprung. Doing Leaf spring to me seems a lot easier. In my mind anyway. The only reason I would a SAS is to get 35's under her so I can wheel Chinamens Gulch. I have 32's right now and I want so bad to see how well she does with these tires. BUT I need to get her running. Right now there is a 05 Tahoe in my Drive that needs a new trans and I have had no time to get it out to replace it. :-(

Thank you sir!

I’m planning an early Bronco width HP Dana 44 with coilovers up front. The rear will be an early Bronco width Ford 9” and it’ll be spring over. 4.88 or 5.13 gears. Detroit locker in the rear and E-Locker up front. And it’ll sit on 37x12.5/17 tires.

Dana 30 is cheap and easy, but with what I want it’s not strong enough. I’ve been happy with my Duff lift and 31’s, but I just need more out of the Explorer

Get that trans in and get your Explorer running!! It’s frustrating having a project that can’t be used for what it’s for. Hopefully we’ll be able to hit the trails sometime this year!

Well still haven't done much at all with the Explorer. Moved out of my parents place two months ago so things have been hectic. Still working on funds for the new engine and for a five speed swap since my trans started slipping a bit when warm. It'll come together soon enough though.

But something cool I wanted share with you guys. My mother in law to be makes custom stainless steel cups. This is the one she made for me! The color scheme looks pretty familiar:D
fullsizeoutput_a44.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a46.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a56.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a5a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a42.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a5c.jpeg

Great build. I really like your sport. It's in such good shape. I have one very similar but is 2 wheel drive. I have built several of the model explorer kits I saw in this thread. I started to convert one to a four door and never finished it.

Hopefully this summer will bring forth some progress for you. Im hoping this should be a good progress year for me too!

The cup is awesome. She should sell these on here.

Great build. I really like your sport. It's in such good shape. I have one very similar but is 2 wheel drive. I have built several of the model explorer kits I saw in this thread. I started to convert one to a four door and never finished it.

Hopefully this summer will bring forth some progress for you. Im hoping this should be a good progress year for me too!

The cup is awesome. She should sell these on here.

Thank you! It’s been kept up pretty well. Starting to show a little bit of rust on the rockers. Need to fix that before it gets bad...

I hope it does, hard to say with everything going on though. But I’ll still attempt to make it happen!

Thank you! It’s been kept up pretty well. Starting to show a little bit of rust on the rockers. Need to fix that before it gets bad...

I hope it does, hard to say with everything going on though. But I’ll still attempt to make it happen!

I hear ya. I have several projects planned this year but I'm hoping this winter to begin making a set of dies to stamp 2 door repair panels for the rear part of the rocker and wheel house.

You cannot get 2 door panels yet. My sport has perfect rockers and quarters. Im gonna use it to get the contours and maybe use a hydraulic press to stamp them with. Hopefully I can get to it this year. I have 3 other two doors with quite a bit of rust in them. I'm sure a bunch of people on here could use them too.

I attached a pic of mine. Owner before me sanded the clear coat off with hopes of paint and never finished. This pic was taken a week before I clocked a deer with it!

1.jpg

I hear ya. I have several projects planned this year but I'm hoping this winter to begin making a set of dies to stamp 2 door repair panels for the rear part of the rocker and wheel house.

You cannot get 2 door panels yet. My sport has perfect rockers and quarters. Im gonna use it to get the contours and maybe use a hydraulic press to stamp them with. Hopefully I can get to it this year. I have 3 other two doors with quite a bit of rust in them. I'm sure a bunch of people on here could use them tooView attachment 169508

For sure that would be super useful for the two doors. I’d be really curious to see what you come up with. Hopefully it’s not bad enough that I would need them, but always nice to have that option.

Good looking sport there! Really like them in that green.

Thanks. It kinda looks like hell now. It's got a gold hood and no grill thanks to the deer. It could have been worse though. I had just put new headlights in it too.

Tim, I like the cup looks cool. 92 exp4x4 when I repaired the rocker panels on my wife's 99 Sport I purchased what Rockauto called slip on replacements, which were metal pieces that were supposed to go over your existing rocker panels. They appeared to be the same thickness as the factory metal of the rocker panels, so I just cut out what I needed from the replacement pieces & cut out the bad parts of the rocker panel & welded them in place.
L/S
More Information for KEYSTONE RRP815
R/S
More Information for KEYSTONE RRP814
R/S rocker panel before repair,
85773-100-0900-a.jpg

R/S after repair,
85774-100-0924-a.jpg

L/S before repair,
85775-100-0919-a.jpg

L/S after repair,
85777-100-0936-a.jpg

Tim sorry for the thread hijack.

Tim sorry for the thread hijack.

Hey no worries! It’s useful information that I needed as well! Been trying to figure out what to do about my rust before it gets really bad.

Driver side
134A758D-1B29-4048-A899-63BF2842BEF3.jpeg

Passenger side
38179262-9F4F-43DD-9BB9-67BCDA933254.jpeg

Was going to just wire wheel it down and throw some paint on it until I can afford to have a body shop fix it. The Explorer could go for a whole respray as well.

But I may consider doing to rocker panels myself.

@Mike65 did you have some place paint your Explorer after you did the rockers?

Tim, since most of the paint was going to be hidden behind the doors & the rocker panel trim I purchased a couple cans of matching red spray paint from www.automotivetouchup.com using the exterior paint color code off the Sport & ordered a few cans of base coat, & a couple cans of the clear coat & sprayed it myself.

Yes it was fun. Good to meet everyone and I’m looking forward to doing it again. Maybe become an annual run?

Back