Light socket help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Light socket help

I'm over in the UK, and I have US Spec (red turn signal) lights fitted, cos I like how they look.

However, our turn signals need to be orange, so I need to adapt my reverse light to accept switchback LEDs.

Is there a socket that will take a dual filament bulb that will fit in the hole used by the single filament bulb socket?

Top image is reverse hole.
2nd image is the stop/tail bulb

Si

20190513_124948.jpg

20190513_124957.jpg

I'm not sure how those switch back bulbs work or the socket shape(bulb type), but the OEM bulb sockets varied some from one model to the next. I've forgotten the differences of the 1st gens, and the 2nd gens are similar from 95/97 to 98-01's. I have 95/97 tail lights in my 99 since it's a 93 rear body/hatch. But the bulbs are the same I think.

BTW, the bulb sockets are replaceable, look at each one and see how those come apart. I think you are going to have the wires you need among all of what's behind the lights. I think it will come down to altering the bulb sockets, just wiring in a different dual filament socket set, and working out the use of LED's(separate issue).

The socket itself has small tangs like any connector. But the real issue will be that the socket your working with only has two wires coming into it, so it can only control one filament. You will need a three wired bulb socket for the dual filament bulb you want to use.

Are you just needing the stop/tail socket to fit into the reverse part? I think both sockets are the same diameter, with different outer "flanges" (not sure on correct term)

Couldn't you just trim the "flanges" on the bulb socket to fit in the opening, or trim the taillight opening notches so the bulb socket would fit?

On my Paseo, I installed Toyota Cynos headlights, and the Paseo corner light sockets would not fit into the Cynos corner. I just did a little trimming on the bulb socket. Cut, and shaved off little slivers, until it fit. Worked fine. Snug as it should be.

upload_2019-5-14_14-4-45.png

Back