• Register Today It's free!

24 inch rims

Treezo617

Reaction score
City, State
Boston ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer sport
Anyone has 24's on 2011-2017 ? I need to know the tire size , I want to run 275/35/24

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you are looking at replacing the OEM 255/50R20 with that size it is definitely not recommended. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%.
The size you are looking to use come out to 5.1%. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-275-35r24
That could lead to possible brake failure and undue strain on the suspension. It would also affect the ABS and other electronic modules that are programmed to run with the OEM size.
245/35R24 would only be 2.4% and within the maximum variance.

Peter

Why in God's green earth would you want 24's on you vehicle. I know it's a matter of taste (how ever bad that may be) but listen to the above poster. The laws of physics are not on your side. You're unsprung weight will be off the charts, you'll basically be running rubber bands for tires and as such your ride quality and handeling will suffer greatly.

Why in God's green earth would you want 24's on you vehicle. I know it's a matter of taste (how ever bad that may be) but listen to the above poster. The laws of physics are not on your side. You're unsprung weight will be off the charts, you'll basically be running rubber bands for tires and as such your ride quality and handeling will suffer greatly.
I guess everyone has their own tastes and opinions. Although my last 3 vehicles all had the 20" wheels, I would prefer to have the 18" wheel size similar to the Winter setup I use.

Peter

E557BCF6-8236-4235-A4DF-0C1840768A69.jpeg

think that you could easily fit 26" After all, the bigger, the better .... no?
Seriously, its your ride and taste is a very personal thing but , from a technical point of view, what are you doing make no sense at all
Form over function.........

Just noticed, what's all the red fluid coming from under your truck, did your transmission fail?

Whimsey

Whimsey[/
Just noticed, what's all the red fluid coming from under your truck, did your transmission fail?

Whimsey
[/QUOTE]
No it’s not transmission fluid it was there already when I parked , my truck runs great with the 24 no problems at all

24inch wheels will make the ride really rough.

24inch wheels will make the ride really rough.
And make the suspension work harder since there is little sidewall to absorb any impacts.

Peter

And add major strain to the EPAS. Back when I was having EPAS, this was a big topic between the tech hotline and my dealer. Rim size, tire tread, suspension etc as the extra load can make an EPAS fail prematurely from working so much harder.

And add major strain to the EPAS. Back when I was having EPAS, this was a big topic between the tech hotline and my dealer. Rim size, tire tread, suspension etc as the extra load can make an EPAS fail prematurely from working so much harder.
Do you have anything to support those comments?

The contact patch between a 255/50r20 and a 275/30r24 is negligible (3-4% difference in cm2). Weight difference should be less than 10kg per tire/wheel. In the grand scheme of things it would be no different to the vehicle than the difference between driving with a fully loaded vehicle vs. just a driver. If you want to nitpick, yes, things like different offset and rim width can change the scrub radius which can impact wheel bearings and other suspension parts and handling, but not enough to cause fialure of a properly specd/designed/built steering rack. Of course, changing wheels/tires will always impact steering feel.

The opinion of some is that the epas is under specd and a POS, no different than the ptu. Ford engineers and the dealers aren't out to 'help' people. They have been known to make any and every excuse to avoid warranty repairs and absolve themselves of liability if they can. Just because one or some dealers warranty something for one person, doesn't mean they all will do the same for another person. Same goes for the inverse.

If one can't afford a warranty issue and pay out of pocket for a denied repair, then they should keep their vehicle as close to stock as possible, even down to replacing with the same exact tires.

Do you have anything to support those comments?

The contact patch between a 255/50r20 and a 275/30r24 is negligible (3-4% difference in cm2). Weight difference should be less than 10kg per tire/wheel. In the grand scheme of things it would be no different to the vehicle than the difference between driving with a fully loaded vehicle vs. just a driver. If you want to nitpick, yes, things like different offset and rim width can change the scrub radius which can impact wheel bearings and other suspension parts and handling, but not enough to cause fialure of a properly specd/designed/built steering rack. Of course, changing wheels/tires will always impact steering feel.

The opinion of some is that the epas is under specd and a POS, no different than the ptu. Ford engineers and the dealers aren't out to 'help' people. They have been known to make any and every excuse to avoid warranty repairs and absolve themselves of liability if they can. Just because one or some dealers warranty something for one person, doesn't mean they all will do the same for another person. Same goes for the inverse.

If one can't afford a warranty issue and pay out of pocket for a denied repair, then they should keep their vehicle as close to stock as possible, even down to replacing with the same exact tires.

When I was dealing with EPAS issues, my service advisor who Inhave dealt with personally for 12 years showed me the communications between the tech and the Ford tech hotline. There was a ton of troubleshooting steps, q&a etc. In it and also confirmed with a buddy in Dearborn had said that oversized tires can put additional strain on the EPAS and cause it to fail.

This was not communication to me but I was allowed to read it between the internal talks of the tech and Ford.

When I was dealing with EPAS issues, my service advisor who Inhave dealt with personally for 12 years showed me the communications between the tech and the Ford tech hotline. There was a ton of troubleshooting steps, q&a etc. In it and also confirmed with a buddy in Dearborn had said that oversized tires can put additional strain on the EPAS and cause it to fail.

This was not communication to me but I was allowed to read it between the internal talks of the tech and Ford.
That's a pretty typical/standard excuse from any dealer or oem looking to shirk warranty responsibility. I wouldn't expect anything different.

Did you ask them about their sema explorers (and partner vehicles) that regularly featured 22, 24, 26 and larger wheels for the last several years?

Anyone has 24's on 2011-2017 ? I need to know the tire size , I want to run 275/35/24
Hey,
I have 24" Lexani Bavaria rims, with Lexani 275/35/24 tires. I get compliments all the time. The ride is a little rough, and gas mileage sucks, but hey, you look good. I dont know why everbody is hating on the 24's.

IMG_0207.jpg

24-Lexani-Bavaria-Wheels-Chevy-Tahoe-Suburban-Cadillac-_1.jpg

I know it's all about personal taste, and many like them, but I'm not a fan.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back