4 wheel steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel steering

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
Has anyone added a 4 wheel steering kit onto their 5th gen yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Parking and maneuvering in City driving yes.
@RhinoQuartz

Well, I know it's been offered as optional on some vehicles, but I picture in my mind the many things that could go wrong. Compare something this radical with the less so, but still even a bit radical: Drive By Wire. Back in the 2000s, Toyota hit the news with recalls totaling 8 million vehicles, 8 different models involved, which had experienced a fairly large number of sudden, unintended acceleration episodes not driver-caused. There were numerous accidents and injuries. Not to imply, though, that DBW went away: but Ford took that little accelerator-pedal control box a step further than those Toyotas, by incorporating a clever fail-safe check instituted each and every time the key is turned "ON". The PCM, computer, checks the output of the throttle position sensor by quickly closing and re-setting the throttle plate. If the expected outputs do not match, the result goes as far as even disabling the engine.

Imagine the possibilities of 4-wheel steering going wacko at 70 mph.......

imp

Links to a kit?

An Internet search shows several of these. Not sure which one the OP was referring to. Also not sure if the cost and potential issues would be worth it.

Peter

An Internet search shows several of these. Not sure which one the OP was referring to. Also not sure if the cost and potential issues would be worth it.

Peter

I found quite a few, but most, if not all, were geared towards off road use.

Frankly, this was more of an idle curiosity to see if anyone had done so or attempted to, and what advice they may have. It would be fun to have, but there obviously a multitude of things that could go wrong with a retrofitted system.

Man, I had four wheel steering on my Galant VR-4. One point of interest is that these systems usually only work at higher speeds, and are mostly beneficial for passing.

Back