Street Pack vs Track Pack | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Street Pack vs Track Pack

I did the separate winter tire/wheel thing years ago. It was a waste of time for me in the long run. But with the Fusion Sport, I probably should have just ditched the stock 19s for the stock 18s from a base model and gone with 245s or 255s with thicker sidewalls year round. It's a risk to even run low profile tires in Michigan with the random potholes we have year round. No thanks, been there done that and have the t-shirt.

But to have separate winter wheels/tires for a SUV? It's not like you're going to set lap records on a road course everyday with the Explorer ST. Most people will use it as a daily driver. I've never found myself wishing I had winter tires in SE MI winters with an AWD vehicle. Even when I had snow tires on my Crown Vic, I often wish I had AWD. Just my 2 cents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the separate winter tire/wheel thing years ago. It was a waste of time for me in the long run. But with the Fusion Sport, I probably should have just ditched the stock 19s for the stock 18s from a base model and gone with 245s or 255s with thicker sidewalls year round. It's a risk to even run low profile tires in Michigan with the random potholes we have year round. No thanks, been there done that and have the t-shirt.

But to have separate winter wheels/tires for a SUV? It's not like you're going to set lap records on a road course everyday with the Explorer ST. Most people will use it as a daily driver. I've never found myself wishing I had winter tires in SE MI winters with an AWD vehicle. Even when I had snow tires on my Crown Vic, I often wish I had AWD. Just my 2 cents.

My Audi A4 with 18s did well in the winter with stock tires. But putting snow tires on made that thing go anywhere and through anything. It is night and day different with all season (really Spring to Fall) tires and dedicated winters.

With 21s coming on the Explorer and low profile tires, it will definitely handle better in the winter with dedicated. It is well known the smaller the tire, the better the handling in snow.

On top of that, putting smaller on will prolong the need to replace expensive 21" tires.

Got a little more info today, Track Pack will provide better stopping but with more dust and more noise, no information on internal upgrades anywhere else. The person providing this information is reliable, I'm staying with the Street Pack.

I'm wondering if the Streetpack is the same calipers and pads as base--just painted red. $1000 is about right for a rim upgrade.

I'm wondering if the Streetpack is the same calipers and pads as base--just painted red. $1000 is about right for a rim upgrade.

The order guide specifically calls out performance brakes AND Painted calipers on separate lines. If it was just painted calipers, it would t say that it comes with performance brakes as well.

Ford is charging 595 for just the 21" wheels and tires on the platinum, so your paying 400 for painted calipers and better brake pads.

Got a little more info today, Track Pack will provide better stopping but with more dust and more noise, no information on internal upgrades anywhere else. The person providing this information is reliable, I'm staying with the Street Pack.

So far I have a Tack Pack ordered. I hope it will also be decent daily driver on a street. I would not mind if the brake pedal is sharper. I have never heard a loud noise from braking and I am wondering If I will be able to hear a new noise.

Either way, even if we ordered, they can still test drive the car before I accept it. If there is a noise coming out from brakes, then I can just tell them to put on the regular brakes that came with ST and give them back the noisy ones.

Maybe they will be able to give me the used set of regular pads that came when the vehicle was shipped. It's a 60K car and customer can refuse to take it if they are not satisfied with what they are getting.

So actual Explorer Interceptors first drive reviews are online. Brakes are very grabby apparently. Not sure I'd want that for a daily driver. Apparently riding on 18" rims so apparently that size is OK with the upgraded brakes. Maybe the street pack is the way to go.

Here's a few:
We drove two laps in the new 2020 Ford Explorer Hybrid cop car, here's what it's like

2020 Ford Police Interceptor Utility quick drive: The long, green arm of the law

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/for...rd-explorer-hybrid-police-interceptor-review/

Ford Police Interceptor Utility Hybrid AWD Saves Gas - Specs, Details, On-Sale Date

This was somewhat discussed here on a personal level rather then magazines.

2020 PIU Ride & Drive Event

Yes, it seems Street Pack is the way to go as a DD.

This was somewhat discussed here on a personal level rather then magazines.

2020 PIU Ride & Drive Event

Yes, it seems Street Pack is the way to go as a DD.

Its almost like someone here on the forum actually went and drove them and then provided some personal feedback.

Its almost like someone here on the forum actually went and drove them and then provided some personal feedback.

Who? I'd like to read it to get first hand opinions.

lol. guess i missed that thread. very interesting... thanks Sgt1411!

Was talking to the dealer today about timing of ST arrivals (they are expecting their first on at the end of June) and started talking about the street vs. high performance pack (as it is now called). All of his documentation states the only difference is brake pads. We both agreed if that was the only difference the $600 price increase seems excessive (and they are list as carbon metallic hell my 2014 SHO motorcraft pads are ceramic). This is why he said he only ordered the ST with the street pack. I tried to contact Ford HQ for more information about what the dealer was installing and they couldn't provide any additional information but they said check with the service managers at the dealership. The one I was in didn't have anything but those of you with a closer relationship might be able to get the guidance from Ford for what the dealer is suppose to install.

Also, if all that is being added is different pads $600 really seems high since fords part site list "05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, With High Series Brakes;05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, With Performance Brakes" and front and rear pads only comes to $280.00.

Ford® and Lincoln® Disc Pads and Brake Shoes Parts : FordParts.com

Was talking to the dealer today about timing of ST arrivals (they are expecting their first on at the end of June) and started talking about the street vs. high performance pack (as it is now called). All of his documentation states the only difference is brake pads. We both agreed if that was the only difference the $600 price increase seems excessive (and they are list as carbon metallic hell my 2014 SHO motorcraft pads are ceramic). This is why he said he only ordered the ST with the street pack. I tried to contact Ford HQ for more information about what the dealer was installing and they couldn't provide any additional information but they said check with the service managers at the dealership. The one I was in didn't have anything but those of you with a closer relationship might be able to get the guidance from Ford for what the dealer is suppose to install.

Also, if all that is being added is different pads $600 really seems high since fords part site list "05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, With High Series Brakes;05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, With Performance Brakes" and front and rear pads only comes to $280.00.

Ford® and Lincoln® Disc Pads and Brake Shoes Parts : FordParts.com

I love Ford HQ.. please talk to a dealer who has no more information then has been published if not less lol. That is a complete waste of time.

Also, everything you just said has been posted on here already. The guide shows it is just pads and we had discussed that $600 for pads is crazy. You are better getting the Street Pack as you said and then just buying the better pads if you prefer that as it won't cost nearly $600 for pads. What I believe you have built into the $600 price is the dealer getting paid to remove the rims, swap pads and reinstall them rims.

It's kind of like the Roof Cross Bars and the Mud Flaps. These are dealer installed items and if you bought them separately, you can get them cheaper but then have to do the install yourself.

I missed it before or they weren't on there yet but the parts site lists high performance rotors as well. If you add the price of the pads and rotors together it comes to just above $600.

I missed it before or they weren't on there yet but the parts site lists high performance rotors as well. If you add the price of the pads and rotors together it comes to just above $600.

Ford would not put 2 different rotors on the Packs and yet install the Street Pack pads only to have the dealer change out the Pads. The rotors ar . Ot dealer installed, only the pads.

If Ford was going to put an even better rotor for the Track Pack, then they would put the upgraded pad in too.

It is either

A - All explorers including ST with brake package get 1 set of rotors/pads

Or

B- All ST with brake package come with Red hi performance calipers with Street Pads

Buying the Track pack gets a box of pads thrown in the trunk for dealer to install.

Ford would not put 2 different rotors on the Packs and yet install the Street Pack pads only to have the dealer change out the Pads. The rotors ar . Ot dealer installed, only the pads.

If Ford was going to put an even better rotor for the Track Pack, then they would put the upgraded pad in too.

It is either

A - All explorers including ST with brake package get 1 set of rotors/pads

Or

B- All ST with brake package come with Red hi performance calipers with Street Pads

Buying the Track pack gets a box of pads thrown in the trunk for dealer to install.

That's good to know. I met with my dealership today and changed my order to a Street Pack too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are three sets of rotors listed on the parts site.

In order of pricing:

Front:
Standard
High series police
High performance

Rear:
Standard
High Performance/Police
Premium Turbo

Previous years only list standard and heavy duty (same part number as heavy duty Police Interceptor). So it looks like there are three brake options just unknown how they play out now.

Back