Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
For those eligible to attend these Government/Public Safety Events here is some news on the new 2020 PIU Ride and Drive Event.

We will be covering 11 cities across the U.S.

· Denver

· Seattle

· San Francisco

· Los Angeles

· Dallas

· Orlando

· Atlanta

· Chicago

· New York

· Washington, DC

· Boston

Participants will have the opportunity to test drive all 3 Police Interceptor Utility powertrains on a closed course: 3.3L Hybrid, 3.0L EcoBoost® and 3.3L V6.

The exact location, dates, and times can be found at www.FordPIUDrive.com, which also the registration site.

Steve Tyler

Police Brand Marketing Manager

Ford North American Fleet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today was the Seattle 2020 PIU Ride and Drive Event put on by the Ford Police Program Team. The event was booked solid and so is the next one is in the San Fransico area, then it moves to LA on May 20th

I preface my comments here with a notice to all the Ford Forum Experts and know it all's, these comments are simply my opinion after actually driving the new 2020 product in comparison to my daily driver 17 Sport and 18 PIU. So for those that want to pick this thread apart do us all a favor and STFU.

The Police Program Team hired Jackson/Dawson to put on the event and the course is set up by legendary race car driver Terry Yearwood. They first have you drive the Hybrid PIU through the course and then you drive the EcoBoost 3.0L PIU.

All I can say is OMG!.....for those who have driven a Tesla in “Ludicrous Mode” that's what it was like to me. Yes, Ford experts I know it's not the exact same times, I'm simply stating what it felt like compared to a daily driver Sport with a Livernois tune.

So now the real deal, the 2020 EcoBoost 3.0L PIU, words can barely describe the "out of the hole" acceleration, even in the rain this thing dug in and snapped my head back. In all honesty, I actually think it's a little too much for a JR officer without some serious advanced driver training.

The new 10-speed transmission programming is smooth without any "hunting" for gears under hard stop/start driving. The braking under hard cornering is amazing in combination with the new AWD system. Power comes on effortlessly and fast, but very controlled. A much more refined power application than before.

BUT.........IMHO the performance brake pads that the PIU's have are (according to the Ford people there) the same one's retail ST product will get in the Track Pack and they are too "grabby" for me. When driving hard on the course Terry will say to you as the driver....." ok hit the apex but with just a touch of brakes now"

I tried to barely touch the brakes but got nothing so a little more pressure and "bang" they grabbed to almost a stop. Even the pro drivers said it took many laps to get used to it and they actually gave feedback to the Engineers on them so hopefully, the FINAL production Track Pack will be a little more forgiving.

Everything there today is pre-production prototype and will be crushed after the ride and drive tour is finished and final build testing is complete. Again, not my opinion but info from the Police Team.

The rotors are so big they completely fill in the police wheel cutouts when you look through the wheel. I picked up a new caliper and they seem way bigger than the current Sport/Police calipers.

Goodyear has produced a new tire called "Enforcer", it's very high performance and grip was amazing in the rain.

You will see in one of the photos I tried to see more brake equipment under the hood and I actually found some braided lines but no idea if they are police only or part of the Track/Street Packs. I couldn't lie down in the rain-soaked track area to get a shot underneath front suspension.

Fit and finish looks much better especially the rubber trim around the exterior windows that doesn't fit properly on my 2017.

Also much quieter inside, road noise is almost nonexistent.
tRtEpzl0ShymrDREZiWg.jpg
9DqXIgVLQyKHtqNruMmsRQ.jpg
daaueYuoRhSLS02F7xRbjw.jpg
cXN59etxQsKWsaEVkrajrQ.jpg

Take a look at the Hybrid battery, seems pretty small to me compared to a Tesla.
oyZedRT7S529Ar6oUyADeQ.jpg

diPDi0l1T0WN6RxMvbZQgw.jpg
PpYwUvbVTyGwM5FdXAxhbg.jpg

uo9Yhb1URIC40o4gYjEf5w.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b6a.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b82.jpg

IPxITIn2TbS3GdMKE8jw.jpg

RgXFeOKKTwWz0JQkbMsMg.jpg

9NQUE5ouS23ndUD5BLKg.jpg

7A5VAabTTpumR2gGYirGWA.jpg

SgWLo7J6QCyoMqtXSHW7Lg.jpg

The video doesn't show the speed you're actually traveling at but gives you a good sense of how it shifts and how the handling is.

So based on your experience, it sounds like the Street Pack would be more appropriate for the average ST customer.

I am going to be reordering to change color as I found a better deal now so I will probably change to the Street Pack based on your review. Hate to have my wife complain as it will be her DD.

Thank you Sgt1411 for your time, effort and descriptive input on your driving experience with the new Interceptor.

Peter

So based on your experience, it sounds like the Street Pack would be more appropriate for the average ST customer.

I am going to be reordering to change color as I found a better deal now so I will probably change to the Street Pack based on your review. Hate to have my wife complain as it will be her DD.

I changed my order to Street Pack because of the pads response but still no one will confirm any other internal upgrades. I spoke at length with an Engineer onsite who also ordered a 2020 ST and even he has tried to find the same information internally without any results. He thought that both "Packs" would be exact same except for pads, but also agreed a $600 up charge for pads and dealer labor seems very high.

Then another Engineer says not to be super concerned because that "grabby" pad might not be final production as the vehicles are all considered prototypes. So hard to nail anyone down on a factual bit of information.

I'm still working on it within CAP to find out more, but for Production line reduced complexity I'm going to say its just pads as well, I remember that being a huge deal across the different models, reducing part complexity. Maybe find out if you get to keep the pads they take off and you can always go back if you want.

I changed my order to Street Pack because of the pads response but still no one will confirm any other internal upgrades. I spoke at length with an Engineer onsite who also ordered a 2020 ST and even he has tried to find the same information internally without any results. He thought that both "Packs" would be exact same except for pads, but also agreed a $600 up charge for pads and dealer labor seems very high.

Then another Engineer says not to be super concerned because that "grabby" pad might not be final production as the vehicles are all considered prototypes. So hard to nail anyone down on a factual bit of information.

I'm still working on it within CAP to find out more, but for Production line reduced complexity I'm going to say its just pads as well, I remember that being a huge deal across the different models, reducing part complexity. Maybe find out if you get to keep the pads they take off and you can always go back if you want.

This is a good point. I doubt you would be able to keep them but then again what would Ford do with them? Once installed and used on a vehicle, I don't think they could consider them "new" anymore. They certainly won't come with a box to put them in (The Street Pack pads). Ughh.. hate the unknown on new models.

Regardless, I am going to reorder because of the color so I'll go with the Street Pack. Worst case if it is just pads, I can always buy the upgraded pads and with places like Automation that sell parts 10% above cost, I am sure they will be far cheaper.

4 months after order banks open and still can't get straight answers.... Frustrating!!

This is a good point. I doubt you would be able to keep them but then again what would Ford do with them? Once installed and used on a vehicle, I don't think they could consider them "new" anymore. They certainly won't come with a box to put them in (The Street Pack pads). Ughh.. hate the unknown on new models.

Regardless, I am going to reorder because of the color so I'll go with the Street Pack. Worst case if it is just pads, I can always buy the upgraded pads and with places like Automation that sell parts 10% above cost, I am sure they will be far cheaper.

4 months after order banks open and still can't get straight answers.... Frustrating!!

I ordered mine with the performance pack. I don't know if the material or the brand of those brake pads is different. Or will the bigger brake pads have any effect on breaking speed or brake pad duration. Bigger brake pads for all 4 wheels or just the front wheel ones...and the rear remain the same size. Even Ford dealerships have no idea.

One thing I was really impressed with was the fit and finish on the 2020 PIU. Little imperfections on my 2017 Sport bug me like on the rear door lower rubber window trim, the two-piece rubber does not seat properly. This is common on many, but the new ones are a solid piece that fits perfectly.

On my 17 the interior door trim is 1" off lining up with the glovebox when closed, again a common issue but on the 2020 they look perfect when closed.

All panel seams were perfect, both exterior metal and interior plastic/vinyl. On my 17 the doors are not flush with the body sheet metal when closed but the 2020 PIU was flush everywhere. Now with that said the prototypes are typically given extra finishing before they go out to be evaluated by the public.

The rear cargo area looks like its been better engineered and adds more useful space compared to the rear interior side panels that the older models have.

The sound deadening is very noticeable and I'm sure retail products will be even better than the Police models.

One of the engineers mentioned the complete renovation of CAP and in particular, the paint shop and body shop, I'm hoping this will produce a much more refined product especially in the paint finish.

CAP is still working through tooling issues and Job1 has not started yet.

One thing to note is in the above pic of the Tires, it shows 18" tires. So if the PIU has the same brakes as the ST, then the ST with 21" wheels should be backwards compatible and fit 18s if one wants to go to a smaller wheel/tire for winter driving.

I know this was a question previously on if they would fit with a 20" rim being it requires 21s to get the Brake packages. Guess that answers that question.

One thing to note is in the above pic of the Tires, it shows 18" tires. So if the PIU has the same brakes as the ST, then the ST with 21" wheels should be backwards compatible and fit 18s if one wants to go to a smaller wheel/tire for winter driving.

I know this was a question previously on if they would fit with a 20" rim being it requires 21s to get the Brake packages. Guess that answers that question.

And it means we can all keep our current Police wheels with snow tires for transitioning to the 2020

And it means we can all keep our current Police wheels with snow tires for transitioning to the 2020
And that will be a HUGE cost savings for departments that this would apply by using existing inventory on newer PUI units and not having to purchase new set ups immediately as vehicle counts go down on older and are replaced by newer units.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That means I should be able to use my current Winter set on a 3rd vehicle.:)

Peter

Back