Drive Assist Upgrades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drive Assist Upgrades

CarpeNoctem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 202A
Does anyone know or want to guess if the driving assists functions will ever get an upgrade? Or, better yet, has anyone hacked the existing?

I'm just curious as the lane keeping is marginal at best. Even with a straight road, with newly painted lines, it pinballs between the lines. God forbid there should be a curve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of anyone who has played around with the current driver assist features. I don't know if it is even possible or safe to do so. The 2020 Ford has Co-Pilot360 with Lane Centering.
The current system is to be used as a guide only. I have it along with the auto high beams turned OFF.

Peter

LDW (lane departure warning)/LKA (lane keep assist) does not keep your vehicle centered. As Peter mentioned that is another option that has been added to newer models.

Considering Ford's push into self-driving cars (SDC's), I'm surprised it is not better. That is why I was thinking that if their SDC advances we may be able to update/upgrade. If the LKA could be tightened up and could look farther ahead it has the potential to work pretty good. There is a guy that made an aftermarket solution ( I think it was a Toyota) that appears to be better than the current lane keeping that Ford is using. In short, I'm not sure what good it really is. By the time you get the warning and/or the nudge, you have likely already side-swiped someone in an adjacent lane.

I turn it off at times as well. Good that it is easy to turn off and on.

As to safety of hacking it, if the changes ere made prudently, I can't see where it would be much worse than the existing,

Anybody have any real info on this system. Is is part of the sync system, the PCU stuff or a separate processor?

Anybody have any real info on this system. Is is part of the sync system, the PCU stuff or a separate processor?

Definitely not a part of sync. My guess is that it's in the BCM, although that needs confirmation.

You can always add aftermarket systems, getting them to look factory will be quite an effort though.

Definitely not a part of sync. My guess is that it's in the BCM, although that needs confirmation.

You can always add aftermarket systems, getting them to look factory will be quite an effort though.
Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

I did find a video where they were showing how the LKS has to be calibrated if you change the windshield or move the mirror/camera. It would be nice to get into that calibration data.

Back