• Register Today It's free!

Delivery Time Frame?

david sherk

Reaction score
City, State
richland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer platium
How long should it take to receive delivery after build date. Mine is June 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long should it take to receive delivery after build date. Mine is June 3.

I believe yours is the Week of June 3rd, not June 3rd unless it is just a coincidence. Ford always releases Delivery weeks first (always a Monday) and then a day usually a few weeks prior to that week.

Was yours put in as a Dealer stock unit? June 3rd seems very early for a Retail build as some of us who ordered in January are being built the week of the 17th (Retail order).

I believe yours is the Week of June 3rd, not June 3rd unless it is just a coincidence. Ford always releases Delivery weeks first (always a Monday) and then a day usually a few weeks prior to that week.

Was yours put in as a Dealer stock unit? June 3rd seems very early for a Retail build as some of us who ordered in January are being built the week of the 17th (Retail order).
Dealer ordered it as stock. Said I would get it quicker

What would be a usual timeframe for delivery

Most likely not, weeks of inventory are going to be built (most likely a months worth) like yours. They are going to get stockpiled into parking lots for storage. Once "ok to buy" is given, every one of them is going to require another individual inspection before it is released from the plant to the shipper. Meanwhile, sold orders start being built immediately after "ok to buy" is given and get released to the shipper very quickly. Sold orders take priority for build and shipping because Ford knows they are going to a customer and can report the sale.

Ask the 2011 owners who did it, they waited several months because of such a backlog of vehicles in the storage lots.

Retail is the only way to go for the 2020MY.

Ford has said not to expect orders till July at the earliest. Per my post above, I am willing to bet $$ yours will be delayed.

As blwnsmoke eluded too hard to say. If the stars align there is a chance you get your vehicle early July. However history says probably not. However I’m pulling for ya! All depends how quick ok to buy hits, how fast they reinspect ur truck, and last do they find anything wrong. Again I’m pullin for ya!

Looking back through my notes taken when I placed a RETAIL order for my 2016 Explorer Platinum, I found a concise summary of events from placing the order to taking delivery. My 2016 Platinum was built on September 22, 2015 and it was delivered to my local Ford dealer on October 5, 2015. So, about 13 days elapsed between final assembly in Chicago and delivery to my Boston-area Ford dealership.

FWIW, here's the actual timeline:

12/22/14 - Placed order with deposit
01/14/15 - Order confirmed by Ford
07/10/15 - Status updated to Unscheduled Clean
07/17/15 - VIN assigned
07/24/15 - Build date of 8/24 scheduled
08/13/15 - Build date changed to 9/21
09/11/15 - Delivery to dealer estimated to be 10/17
09/16/15 - Window sticker available
09/22/15 - Build date per window sticker
09/26/15 - Loaded on railcar at factory
10/03/15 - Railcar arrived at local terminal
10/04/15 - Railcar unloaded
10/05/15 - Explorer delivered to dealership

The targeted production date for my 2020 K8D XLT fleet vehicle is the week of 07/26/2019. The approximate arrival date of the vehicle at the dealership is 08/23/2019.

K8D??:dunno:

secret code?

It's the option code for 4wd when putting a build together. Not sure why he chose to post that as nobody would really know without looking it up in the order guide (I had to lol).

Sorry peterk9 and blwnsmoke, did not mean to obscure the model name by using the order code.

Sorry peterk9 and blwnsmoke, did not mean to obscure the model name by using the order code.
A little mystery every now and then is welcomed.;)

Peter

I think it all depends. When we ordered our old 2013 Sport it was before they were building and we got on of the first ones off the line (granted they were already building the 2013 regular explorers) and my name was on the window sticker. When I order my 2015 Mustang GT it went in as a custom order but was changed to dealer stock and it did move my time line up by weeks. However, when my car arrived at the dealership, first another salesman tried to steal it and sell it to someone else maybe because my name wasn't on the window sticker this time. Second, it came with a note in the car from the plant that said "backup camera broken order this part number." So dealer stock may get in faster but then like me may have to take your new car back to the dealer about a month later to get it fixed.

I think it all depends. When we ordered our old 2013 Sport it was before they were building and we got on of the first ones off the line (granted they were already building the 2013 regular explorers) and my name was on the window sticker. When I order my 2015 Mustang GT it went in as a custom order but was changed to dealer stock and it did move my time line up by weeks. However, when my car arrived at the dealership, first another salesman tried to steal it and sell it to someone else maybe because my name wasn't on the window sticker this time. Second, it came with a note in the car from the plant that said "backup camera broken order this part number." So dealer stock may get in faster but then like me may have to take your new car back to the dealer about a month later to get it fixed.

That vehicle should have NEVER left the plant with a broken camera.

That vehicle should have NEVER left the plant with a broken camera.

My experience is what "should happen" and what actually happens at a UAW plant are two different things. I talk to people at both the Ford plant and the GM plant and both say they would never buy of those junk piles they build because they know the work ethic and corners cut of those in the plant.

After actually being at the CAP and having all the QC checks explained to me I disagree that products produced by Ford/GM are junk. I would agree they may not have the same build quality of a Honda or Toyota but often times when a part fails everyone immediately blames the OEM when in fact the part was made by a 3rd party. Yes the OEM is charged with ensuring QC on all parts but often times they don't know there is a flaw until the parts fail.

As mentioned, no vehicle should ever leave the plant with a nonfunctioning backup cam, that's inexcusable.

What I saw was a system that didn't let the vehicle leave unless it was within spec after QC. But then my 2017 has the passenger side doors sunk in 1/4" and not flush with the body like the driver's side. Body shop stamping issue I'm told.

Apparently, the tooling updates to CAP will have a profound positive effect on the QC of the 2020 products.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was not stating they were junk I was just repeating comments from the union works from each plant. I was trying to convey the mindset of some ofthe people building the cars.

Having been a member of a union in a manufacturing environment I know how destructive unions can be to people having pride in their work. There is constant pitting of the company against the union to sow fear or anger. I heard on a daily basis to not work too hard or do anything that might help the plant achieve a better product because the company doesn't care about you so you shouldn't care about it.

As for the door panel that is a common problem and if your vehicle is still under the bumper to bumper warranty you can take it in and make the fix it. The dealer where I got my 2016 told me that when they had to repaint the inside of the liftgate because 1/4 of it wasn't painted in the factory. They said the fix door problem all the time because it was a failure of the factory to do the final shaping of the door after install. Apparently that is a pretty common procedure for body work.

Back