93 Eddie Bauer build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Eddie Bauer build

Nice. How is ur basket mounted? Mine sits a lot higher on the rails than urs.

I have it mounted with open on both ends adjusting nuts. The previous owner made threaded tabs that utilize the rails.

I can’t think of the correct names for them, but I took pictures of them and posted it on the first page of this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So this is impressive, I just filled up today and since my gas gauge is still inoperative I utilize the trip and have to guesstimate my fill ups.

The previous owner had stated in his build thread that he went 270 miles on a tank of gas back when the gauge worked.

My figure was to fill up at 250 ish miles. I stopped at 238, because I was in town, and I live 17 miles from town with limited places for gas.

354ED7F1-1DEE-48EE-9FD2-384E72C6187D.jpeg

The numbers don’t lie, almost 17 mpg lifted on 33’s with the horrendous automatic transmission tach reading 2500 rpm’s in overdrive at 60 miles per hour. I’m impressed, and now I wonder how much better it will do once I get the manual transmission swap completed, and have an extra gear to drop the rpm’s some. While the extra gear won’t drop it much, I will welcome any drop I can get.

Has the speedo been recalibrated? Not sure what axle gears you’re running, but just the 33s will throw off the mpg calculations.
That said, that mpg is not unexpected at all. I get the same in my Ranger with 4.56 and 35s, and that’s with nowhere to go fast enough to even use overdrive!

Has the speedo been recalibrated? Not sure what axle gears you’re running, but just the 33s will throw off the mpg calculations.
That said, that mpg is not unexpected at all. I get the same in my Ranger with 4.56 and 35s, and that’s with nowhere to go fast enough to even use overdrive!

488 and 33's is why those rpms are so high at 60 in od. 35's is the cure for hwy speeds, but the current combo, will be fun in low range on the trails!

No the speedometer is not fixed by a new gear on the vss. That number is straight from the speedometer app on my phone. The speedometer reads 66 or so to get the speed I recorded. I honestly wish it would tach lower as I’m not a fan of higher rpms on the highway for engine life.

However, I’m kind of accustomed to higher rpms on the highway in overdrive with my other cars as my BMW sports car reads about the same in 6th gear at 70. My Z71 with 4.10’s and 31’s reads about 2200 at 70.

Yeah my plan is to run 35’s in the end once more money frees up to afford the $800-$1000 for them.

5 over with that combo isn't bad really, but I would still get the VSS gear swapped out to correct those shift points.

The P/O must have swapped the VSS gear, to get it that close. I'm going to guess a black 20 tooth is in there now.
Can't remember (on 1st cup of morning coffee) which size is made after a black 20 tooth, either 21 or 22, but one of those would work. $5 fix, so it's worth it for fuel savings alone, while you wait for the manual swap to happen.

These 4.0L OHV are not high rpm engines like those others you mentioned. These max at 5k, but I have never seen above 4.5k, and even that was a one time deal. Max rpms at normal use is 4k. 3.5k is high for these (say when passing, or kicking down to go uphill), so 2500 is high for cruising for long distances.

In perspective, 60 mph should be under 2k normally for this rig. Shouldn't be hitting 2.5k until closer to 75 mph.

5 over with that combo isn't bad really, but I would still get the VSS gear swapped out to correct those shift points.

The P/O must have swapped the VSS gear, to get it that close. I'm going to guess a black 20 tooth is in there now.
Can't remember (on 1st cup of morning coffee) which size is made after a black 20 tooth, either 21 or 22, but one of those would work. $5 fix, so it's worth it for fuel savings alone, while you wait for the manual swap to happen.

These 4.0L OHV are not high rpm engines like those others you mentioned. These max at 5k, but I have never seen above 4.5k, and even that was a one time deal. Max rpms at normal use is 4k. 3.5k is high for these (say when passing, or kicking down to go uphill), so 2500 is high for cruising for long distances.

In perspective, 60 mph should be under 2k normally for this rig. Shouldn't be hitting 2.5k until closer to 75 mph.

Thank you, I will look at that gear color and get it fixed.

I like your setup. I've been wanting to find a manual t-case for my wheeler. The motor went out a couple years ago, so now I just leave it engaged and unlock the hubs. Not great, but it works and I hardly ever drive it as a daily.

I've been thinking about swapping in a 5 speed in this one for a while. I've done two now; one in my 4dr EB, and one in my 4.0L Aerostar. My EB, you can't tell it's not a factory 5 speed unless you decode the build decal. I swapped out the column, computer, and the little block plate in the gauge cluster.

It's funny, both my EBs are red. The 4dr is cranberry, and the 2dr is the exact color of yours. It's looking good!

I was like, wow that's low, than realised if I converted my kilometers to miles I'm not quite there lol

Back