Power seat won't rise in the back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power seat won't rise in the back

mmm3k000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer 4.0 EB
Hello,

Anybody else have this problem? Not sure what to check to fix it. The rise function stopped working on the back side only. Every other part of the seat functions correctly. Is this common? Nothing has really happened to damage the components.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very common problem the gears strip and it wont work anymore. do a search on here for rear seat problems and you will get a lot of threads on how to fix it.

very common problem the gears strip and it wont work anymore. do a search on here for rear seat problems and you will get a lot of threads on how to fix it.
Okay cool. I was having trouble finding the right terms to search, but I'm glad it's at least common so resources exist.

Wait, I just realized I forgot to mention it's the driver seat. Does that still apply?

Oh I thought you talking about the rear seats. The driver's seat not as common. I would start with the connector and see if there is any corrosion on any of the pins. Does it sound like its getting power?

Oh I thought you talking about the rear seats. The driver's seat not as common. I would start with the connector and see if there is any corrosion on any of the pins. Does it sound like its getting power?
Shoot. Okay I'll give it a shot. I know it has power in general because all the other movements works, but I never thought a pin could corrode. I'll give it a shot later and see if it makes a sound while trying that motion.

Pin can corrode, wire can get pinched, motor can go bad, switch can go bad, mechanism can jam. You got to check everything. I would start at the motor. Listen for movement/groaning. Get under the seat with a meter or test light and check for voltage when working the switch. From there you can determine if you need to work forward into the mechanism or back into the electrical.

Did you ever find a fix for yours? My parents just got a 2016 interceptors the tilt on the back side of the driver's seat is not working. I can hear the motor running both directions, and the forward/back and front up/down work. I am thinking the gears stripped, and am hoping that I don't have to replace the entire motor, but I am not a trained mechanic, so if the motor ends up being the easy fix, so be it.

Back