Minor trans work, now almost stalls in gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Minor trans work, now almost stalls in gear

Tyrel

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer
I had a check ball that deteriorated and was causing the TCC to lockup in 2nd, thanks to this forum I was helped in diagnosing the problem, dropped the valve body and replaced all the check balls, cleaned and re-gasketed. I also replaced both shift solenoids and TCC solenoid, I installed a sonnax main pressure regulator valve and boost valve as well. Reassembled, replaced filter, and refilled with Mercon trans fluid. Truck drives and shifts fine, but whenever in gear and on the brake not moving, like at a stop sign, it drops low in rpms and the engine will shutter almost like it's going to die. Sometimes it's worse then others, sometimes it hardly does it at all, others it will seem like it's all but ready to die. In park and neutral it idles fine. I'm not sure it I should reinstall the old solenoids? There was nothing wrong with them I know of, just replaced because I was in there, same with the pressure regulator valve and boost valve. It did not do this before the check ball went bad and the tcc started locking up. I didn't use it long when this happened either, I parked it until I could fix it. If I wouldn't have just messed with the transmission I would think it is probably something else, and it very well could be, just looking for input. Thanks for the help.

I would reinstall the original TCC solenoid and try it but you may want to double check your work and the valve body gaskets and look for stuck valves or anything else that it out of place while you have the pan off.

Does it do it in reverse?

Yes in reverse as well, and it's very intermittent, it will run fine for awhile without any issues and idle around 750ish in gear, just a rough guess off the dash tach. Then some times it will idle just a hair above 500 and feel like it's shuttering and missing type feeling, and some times it will literally feel like it's going to die and really have shutter and iratic low idle. Maybe not trans related, but just odd it happened after sitting for awhile and getting some trans work done. But crazier things have happened. I was also thinking about throwing the old solenoids back in as well tomorrow if I have time.

Back