Magnaflow Catback installed... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Magnaflow Catback installed...

How's the finish holding up? I had a Magnaflow cat-back on my F150. The whole dang thing was pitted and rusting from pipes to muffler to polished tips. I loved the sound but swore I'd never buy another one due to the way the stainless held up (or didn't hold up) to the elements.

I'm thinking maybe painting the whole system (minus tips) hi-temp black just because the choices for cat-backs on the Sports are very very few. The magnaflow is at least reasonably priced.

Unfortunately the Magnaflow catback uses a lower grade series stainless with a higher carbon content (400 grade ) than the rust proof (300 grade) which has a carbon content of less than .04 %. The 300 grade is what you would find in high quality stainless products commercial kitchen equipment etc.

The more carbon content the more the stainless is apt to rust , and thus the cheaper the cost.

GPD966 I feel your pain as I too have the same problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any issues so far.... It doesnt look "new", but no complaints on the finish yet

Well that s good to hear. Reassuring

Well... 5 years have passed, still own my explorer and still love the sound :chug:

FYI guys, old school exhaust trick.

You can install a second resonator in the mid pipe to cut down on some of the drone.

Back