Time for tires | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Firestone car care centers around me offer lifetime alignment - so do a few others. you pay a bit more than double for a 4 wheel alignment (I think it was around 170) and they will align it for the life of the car as long as you're the owner. So if you own your cars and keep them a while - by the time I did the 4th alignment (which I haven't done yet) I'm coming out ahead.

This even covers any other work - so for my other cars - like my Daily Driver. I traded out the struts in my driveway - drove up there - got it aligned. On my Daily which I've had for 8 years - I've absolutely gotten my money's worth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Firestone car care centers around me offer lifetime alignment - so do a few others. you pay a bit more than double for a 4 wheel alignment (I think it was around 170) and they will align it for the life of the car as long as you're the owner. So if you own your cars and keep them a while - by the time I did the 4th alignment (which I haven't done yet) I'm coming out ahead.

This even covers any other work - so for my other cars - like my Daily Driver. I traded out the struts in my driveway - drove up there - got it aligned. On my Daily which I've had for 8 years - I've absolutely gotten my money's worth.
So you have an 8 yr old daily that has been aligned more than 4 times?

I got rid of a 2003 taurus and 2002 impala not long ago and each was only aligned 1 time in their lifetime. They had several free alignment checks along the way, but only 1 actual alignment. I live in metro detroit which is not known for its great roads (I believe the state symbol is the orange traffic cone). My current 7 yr old malibu and 5 yr old fusion have had a couple of free alignment checks, but never required an actual alignment yet. Outside of suspension repairs that would require an alignment, 4 or more actual alignments on an 8 yr old vehicle seems a bit excessive to me. Especially in Tennessee. Last few time I drove through there, the roads seemed real nice (compared to Detroit anyway).

So you have an 8 yr old daily that has been aligned more than 4 times?

I got rid of a 2003 taurus and 2002 impala not long ago and each was only aligned 1 time in their lifetime. They had several free alignment checks along the way, but only 1 actual alignment. I live in metro detroit which is not known for its great roads (I believe the state symbol is the orange traffic cone). My current 7 yr old malibu and 5 yr old fusion have had a couple of free alignment checks, but never required an actual alignment yet. Outside of suspension repairs that would require an alignment, 4 or more actual alignments on an 8 yr old vehicle seems a bit excessive to me. Especially in Tennessee. Last few time I drove through there, the roads seemed real nice (compared to Detroit anyway).

I live near memphis though - no budget and we often fight detroit for #1 on that FBI list of top crime per capita. Maybe they didn't turn the adjustments every time - but they mount the sensors on and lift it up. I've done 2 sets of struts on that car - so that's 2 alignments right there. and one for each set of tires. which oddly - has also been 2. hmm. Car as 168K on the clock and most of that is city miles. I broke 2 tires, not one but 2, this past winder driving down one road. there was holes on all sides and I had to ride over them because of traffic. bent one of the rims.

I finally got rid of the Hankooks and got Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus tires. A total night and day difference. Should have done this a long time ago. The X rides like glass. A very happy camper here

Has anyone put BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LTs on their Explorer? I've looked at reviews on them, plus the Alenza Plus, Continental DWS06, General Grabber HT60, and some others. The BFGs have the best reviews across all sites, and the best ratings for wet/dry performance.

Seems like an excellent tire Jon. Definitely one to add to my list should I ever have to buy tires.

Peter

I finally got rid of the Hankooks and got Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus tires. A total night and day difference. Should have done this a long time ago. The X rides like glass. A very happy camper here

I went with the same tires today, like driving a new vehicle.

Has anyone put BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LTs on their Explorer? I've looked at reviews on them, plus the Alenza Plus, Continental DWS06, General Grabber HT60, and some others. The BFGs have the best reviews across all sites, and the best ratings for wet/dry performance.

I had the bf Goodrich advantage ta sport lt on my 2011 Sierra with 20 inch wheels. It was the best tire I had on that truck, they had excellent traction in snow and rain. I will probably put them on my 2018 explorer sport when it need new tires

I had the bf Goodrich advantage ta sport lt on my 2011 Sierra with 20 inch wheels. It was the best tire I had on that truck, they had excellent traction in snow and rain. I will probably put them on my 2018 explorer sport when it need new tires

Good to hear. Costco has them for $840 out the door, with a special they're running, normally $900. Even at regular price, that's over $100 less than any tire shop I've checked, mostly because they do mounting, balancing, AND road hazard for $15/tire. Most shops charge more than that just for mount and balance, and another $20 or more each for road hazard.

Good to hear. Costco has them for $840 out the door, with a special they're running, normally $900. Even at regular price, that's over $100 less than any tire shop I've checked, mostly because they do mounting, balancing, AND road hazard for $15/tire. Most shops charge more than that just for mount and balance, and another $20 or more each for road hazard.
What size are you searching for on Costco? I can't get 255/50/20s to come up, but tirerack.com carries them in that size.

What size are you searching for on Costco? I can't get 255/50/20s to come up, but tirerack.com carries them in that size.
Unless Jon has 'upsized' his tires, the OEM on the XLT is 245/60R18.

Peter

They don't come up on the website, but they can order them in store.

Peter

Depending on the package, some XLTs have the 20s. My '13 had the 18s, my '15 had the next package up, and came with the 20s, on the same wheels as the limited.

Here they are. 14 miles driven, and I can say without hesitation that they are quieter. Average noise level with the worn out Hancooks was around 72 dBa. With the BFGs, it's about 65 dBa. Noticeably less body roll, and the jolts of certain bumps that I've gone over hundreds of times are a bit harder, but shorter.

Tomorrow morning, I'll check the noise level on the worst part of my normal drive, which crossed 80 dBa last week.

IMG_20190522_142345.jpg
IMG_20190522_142339.jpg

Here they are. 14 miles driven, and I can say without hesitation that they are quieter. Average noise level with the worn out Hancooks was around 72 dBa. With the BFGs, it's about 65 dBa. Noticeably less body roll, and the jolts of certain bumps that I've gone over hundreds of times are a bit harder, but shorter.

Tomorrow morning, I'll check the noise level on the worst part of my normal drive, which crossed 80 dBa last week.

View attachment 170609 View attachment 170610

Let us know how your gas mileage is with the new tires.

Peter

the 255/50 R 20 is a standard option on the 16 and newer XLT package too. Mine came this way. I forget now why, it's either part of an appearance package or something.

the 255/50 R 20 is a standard option on the 16 and newer XLT package too. Mine came this way. I forget now why, it's either part of an appearance package or something.

Those aren't standard factory tires. 245/60/18s are.

The 20s are part of the Sport Appearance Package, which is very much optional.

I don't have the sport appearance package. No black trim on mine. And my 20 inch rims are chrome like.

Might have been a single option.

My Point was - optional or not the XLT package models can have them from the factory and from the looks of things it's a popular setup. mine is a 2016, but from 16-19 I see very few 18s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the sport appearance package. No black trim on mine. And my 20 inch rims are chrome like.

Might have been a single option.

My Point was - optional or not the XLT package models can have them from the factory and from the looks of things it's a popular setup. mine is a 2016, but from 16-19 I see very few 18s.

OK, then they're aftermarket. 18s are standard on base and XLTs. 20s on Limited and above.

Back