• Register Today It's free!

Steering damper??

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
i was just fooling around online and I found a steering damper that supposedly fits the front of my 2wd, or 4wd. I’m really confused because where would it go? Looks like a shock you would find on a straight axel, like a Jeep or 1st gen.
I found them in several different places but I don’t see where that would fit in a rack and pinion system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are for solid axle front suspension? I had one on my 1988 Dodge Ramcharger with front solid axle Dana. I'm not aware of one for IFS and r&p like the Explorer.

Yeah that’s why I’m confused. I’ll look it up again and post the link

Maybe they are mislabeling the axle damper or "5th shock"? Probably the same type of damper.

I have a steering damper on my 1st gen Expedition- which has IFS similar to a 2nd gen Explorer. The big difference is the Explorer has a rack an pinion steering and the Expedition has a steering box with a pitman arm- which looks like the steering you’d see with a solid axle.

I don’t think you can do a steering damper on a 2nd gen. Sometimes companies don’t always know everything about the products they offer and which models they fit.

Back