Any happy stories on a V6 SOHC after changing the timing chains? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any happy stories on a V6 SOHC after changing the timing chains?

Aniulas

Reaction score
City, State
Kaunas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4.0 Explorer Limited
Rather recently I've bought a SOHC Explorer made in 2000 that needs timing chains changed and slightly leaks oil. Seeing that many of these engines have timing chain issues, I am wondering, do any of them run like they used to and hold for 60+k more miles with the new chains? Or should I get rid of it as soon as I fix it up? P.S. I will be putting on the Cloyes aftermarket chains, as the OEM just proved to be too expensive.

Any stories, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rather recently I've bought a SOHC Explorer made in 2000 that needs timing chains changed and slightly leaks oil. Seeing that many of these engines have timing chain issues, I am wondering, do any of them run like they used to and hold for 60+k more miles with the new chains? Or should I get rid of it as soon as I fix it up? P.S. I will be putting on the Cloyes aftermarket chains, as the OEM just proved to be too expensive.

Any stories, good or bad, would be appreciated.

I'm in the process of pulling the SOHC engine out of my 200K+ '01 Sport Trac due to a blown head gasket. I also plan to replace the timing chain components while the engine is out. I'm doing all the work myself (mostly because I don't trust anyone else to do it). Other than a broken jack shaft tensioner (and a little TC noise at cold startup) my engine actually ran very well until the head gasket blew.

I'll be using a Motorcraft TC kit and have studied the procedures involved with replacing all the parts. I think the main reason that many have bad experiences with replacing the timing chain parts is because they have a mechanic doing the work that doesn't know what they're doing and/or who isn't a detailed oriented person. The procedures necessary to replace all the pieces is very complicated and involved. If you you use cheap replacement parts and take short cuts you're asking for problems. Special tools are also required as there are no timing marks on the cams.

I paid $1000 for my Sport Trac 4 years ago. It was a neglected work truck which received little-to-no maintenance for most of it's 184K life. Still, even at 200K+ the front and rear cassettes are still in one piece and it uses no oil between changes. I can't explain why some of these engines go well over 200K w/out TC problems and some develop problems at 75K. In my case maintenance and regular oil changes certainly had nothing to do with it.

I'm hoping to get at least another 100K out of my truck once it's back together, though I suspect the transmission will be the next drive-train component to require attention.

Will all this work and money be worth it? IDK, but I've done too much work on this vehicle to-date to scrap it. As a long-time classic car restorer and hot rod builder I guess I don't believe in just scrapping something just because it's old and needs repairs, but If it was a 4 door Explorer or Sport Gen II with the SOHC engine I would never have bought it.

Ask @david4451 about using the Cloyes TC kit.

It's funny people replace failed ford parts with the same ford parts
I just helped a friend ...Chase.... about a year and a half ago replace his tc components with aftermarket parts....all he could afford... 20k later he is still beating it hard with no problems Inc start-up rattle

Me I did not want to do the job again by myself and don't really don't have a good place to do it he lives a hour away with a nice garage concrete floor....so nice ...I just have a rock driveway
So I just got a whole engine lol btw my original engine tc parts were all intact
I'm a better friend than he ....no help for me...
18k later it's running great

That said for peace of mind ford parts seem to be the best
Next is cloyes IMO

All in all I have had great experience

Just install a pre oiler to protect your investment

I got close to 100k out of my engine tech set. its sitting in the garage now, with the front end torn down waiting until I have some free time to put in my cloys set. With any luck it will be up and running by sunday.

Mine will take some time to arrive to EU from the US, I also forgot to mention that my Limited Explorer only has 120k miles on it so far, so it may be a worthy investment if it keeps on running.

Back