Reaction score
City, State
Red Deer, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Land Rover LR3 SE
Callsign
VE6/VE3
Hi all, am from Red Deer, Alberta...
Have just purchased a 2007 LR3 with the 4.0L V6 which apparently did not like the condition of the rear timing chain and decided to self destruct. I have done a lot of research and am going to attempt to either rebuild or replace most of the engine with a Ford 4.0 SOHC which is nearly identical. As there are 260,000 Km on this engine I'd really like to get my paws on an inexpensive re-manufactured short block, but have not been able to find one here yet. Will be starting in on this big project within the next few weeks so thought I'd better join this forum to learn as much as I can. Looking forward to reading and hopefully contributing, have owned several 4X4 vehicles in the past and did most of my own maintenance. Vehicles owned were: 1967 Ford Bronco 289 V8 (1968), 1974 Toyota FJ55 I6 3.9L (1975), 1984 Chev K5 w/400 V8 (camper 1989), 2006 Nissan X-Trail I4 2.5L (2007) and now of course the Land Rover LR3 4.0L V6

LR_2007.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.

Use the "Search Bar" (Upper Right Corner) and it should pull up a whole list of threads.

It's a complex job but not impossible.

Thanks, I'm sure there is a lot of excellent advice on the 4.0 in this Explorer site...

You would not believe...

If I am not mistaken there is even a sticky in the help section about the topic.

Site moderator @Rick would know but I'll look for it as well.

Another good source of information would be member @donalds .

He is usually up to date on the 4.0 series engines.

Your not to far. SGI has pretty cheap mustang 4.0L, and they seem to be in better shape than the ones from the SUV's. I think there was one in Battleford SGI not to long ago. for a little over a grand, you could do a drop in.

Your not to far. SGI has pretty cheap mustang 4.0L, and they seem to be in better shape than the ones from the SUV's. I think there was one in Battleford SGI not to long ago. for a little over a grand, you could do a drop in.
I would need an engine with a balance shaft, usually found only in 4X4 vehicles, but of course only when I get the engine out and disassembled will I know for sure, apparently there was a collision between some valves and pistons. There are some very good machine shops here so rebuilding may be a viable option, using real Ford V6 parts of course, but for sure I'll be replacing the timing gears, tensioners and chains which just received yesterday (Cloyes).

I would need an engine with a balance shaft, usually found only in 4X4 vehicles, but of course only when I get the engine out and disassembled will I know for sure, apparently there was a collision between some valves and pistons. There are some very good machine shops here so rebuilding may be a viable option, using real Ford V6 parts of course, but for sure I'll be replacing the timing gears, tensioners and chains which just received yesterday (Cloyes).
Most delete the balance shaft chain with no side effects even with four wheel drive I suggest it
only at your own risk worth looking into

And be sure you get the ford or otc tools to do the job it is very necessary
I have the knockoff Chinese version of those tools, I guess I'll find out if they are any good...

I have the knockoff Chinese version of those tools, I guess I'll find out if they are any good...
Yeeyeee = hell yea in red neck terms
Yeeyeee:)

@enb54,

Hang around and folks here should have you up and rolling in no time.

Just remember to help others on the site with your experiences.

Go Elite member and it's much easier to post photo's or video's of problems you might have.

I put a low mileage 2007 Ford Mustang 4.0L long block in my Explorer Sport over a year ago. No headaches and It's been solid and runs like just a new engine. The Mustang's engines have way lower mileage, readily available plus are cheaper than standard Explorer 4.0's engines.

I put a low mileage 2007 Ford Mustang 4.0L long block in my Explorer Sport over a year ago. No headaches and It's been solid and runs like just a new engine. The Mustang's engines have way lower mileage, readily available plus are cheaper than standard Explorer 4.0's engines.
I am wondering about this again because the LR3 engine does have a balance shaft, but is it necessary? Supposedly at low speed it helped with the torque numbers is about the only explanation I've heard and I couldn't quite understand why. You're right about the Mustang engines being lower mileage and easier to get hold of, once I get this one out I'll have to see if the LR3 accessories can be bolted up or maybe use Ford ones, which would be way less expensive. Unfortunately the LR3 is NOT an eco friendly beast and everything imaginable is electric, we had to jumper a battery to it to get it out of park and also release the electric emergency brake. Oh... had to pull a trim piece off the door handle to open the driver's door with the mechanical key, only the hood release (cable) was mechanical... Good thing I worked in electronics in my previous life... or is it?

@enb54,

Hang around and folks here should have you up and rolling in no time.

Just remember to help others on the site with your experiences.

Go Elite member and it's much easier to post photo's or video's of problems you might have.
For $20 via PayPal that's done!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back