What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

This past weekend I cracked apart my headlights with a hammer and flat head screwdriver. Polished inside and outside of the lense, wiped the... Dust? Off the reflective lense and reassembled...

Installed some Optilux 80/100w bulbs.

And I disconnected my DRL's lol

I plan on doing some relay upgrades.

20190324_122537_HDR.jpg

20190324_114849_HDR.jpg

20190324_115326_HDR.jpg

20190324_135005_HDR.jpg

20190324_143418_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just now, after work. I wired a power port splitter which is wired into the cigarette lighter. Was a PITA getting under the carpet lol

20190326_163757_HDR.jpg

Seeing the headlight post from @AGodlyCanuck reminded me of what I have been doing to mine.
55F7FAB5-8165-4465-9E64-6157CF290D95.jpeg

3E0CB945-9AC2-44CE-89E2-003D3C965C97.jpeg

I scored some aftermarket light assemblies from the salvage yard and you can clearly see (no pun intended) the difference.

The top picture is a couple light coats of taillight tint to dress it up better as I have never liked the ugly orange reflectors, and wasn’t really a fan of the orange signals, and since I hadn’t experimented with my other first gens I figured why not.

Just did some super light offroading.
1:50 for abandoned f150 stuck in the mud.
6:50 for the sketchiest part... doesn't look that sketchy on video though.
other than that 14:46 i dragged front axle lol

Just did some super light offroading.
1:50 for abandoned f150 stuck in the mud.
6:50 for the sketchiest part... doesn't look that sketchy on video though.
other than that 14:46 i dragged front axle lol

Looks like it was fun, soon I'll be in the mud with mine

Got stuck...
High centered lol
Got lucky when a friend who i was unable to get a hold of was up there came up 10 minutes behind me and pulled me out in about 15 seconds... including strap up time lol

16:45-20:00 is the best part.

So ill add to this.....first time poster, new guy. :)
Met my wife years ago.....driving a 93 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. She’s the artist type so the Eddie Bauer was very fitting little did i know at the time. Fast forward...3 kids later and 3 cars we sold the oldest vehicle to my brother. Who ran it overheated one day thinking all the lights meant he could make another exit. A new motor and years later he sells it to a family member who drove it awhile and now its my oldest sons as a HS graduation gift. So its found its way back home.
Car runs excellent.
Over the past week here’s what i’ve Done.
1-4 - Replaced drivers side window motor (parts unavailable the metal gear stripped itself)
Replaced those little round rollers in the other 3 motors, of course lubed all rails with white lithium. All windows now work when we got it one the right passenger and it was slow. Put back in the water seals and new plastic pieces to hold the trim firm.
5 - pulled out what seemed like 5 miles of cable where wife had the old 90’s style phone wired.
6 - pulled out some really bad wiring job for fog lights (who runs relays laying atop of manifold...sheesh)
7 - wired back up original fog lights and added a switch for them
8 - found a place with R12 and traded out a pistol for the work and recharge. Nice cold air now!
9 - replaced multiple lights behind the instrument panel (good grief they make it hard)
10 - superglued back the dash cover where someone cracked it trying to get the panel off for the radio (or maybe they wanted to get to the instrument lights). Few screws had to be used cause they popped off every single disconnect point.
11 - fixed front bulb for drivers side light
12 - rear bulbs for tag both blown
13 - rear wiper motor - gear was completely worn out
14 - replaced rear speaker in cargo area
15 - new brake pad since it was missing
16 - figured out the antenna was the issue for static on radio so i replace it. No more static.

To do list
1. Figure out the switch for the cargo door, since it doesnt turn on light
2. Replace cargo window seal as it leaks (some knucklehead removed it and it appears to have shrunk (perhaps there is a tape I can put on it and stretch it back around? It merely seems to have shrunk)
3. Maybe pull the headliner as the fabric has been cutout in places where it fell down. Foam is still good and not crumbling so may just leave it alone for a bit.

Pretty much a new vehicle at this point :) Many years of use for my son during college.

So ill add to this.....first time poster, new guy. :)
2. Replace cargo window seal as it leaks (some knucklehead removed it and it appears to have shrunk (perhaps there is a tape I can put on it and stretch it back around? It merely seems to have shrunk)

Welcome to the show! Be sure to look at all the different sub forums and don’t hesitate to search for answers you may have, as we have all had similar if not the same problems.

I condensed your long post to focus on what I left to quote.

Anyways, your cargo area wetness is most likely the seals on the fixed side windows. The process involves removing the plastic interior panels and unbolting it from the vehicle. There’s 12-? I think on each side, but to reseal it just go to your favorite retail store and purchase windshield silicone and apply it to each window and reinstall.

The stock and modified 91-94 sections have a ton of stuff from lots of people.

Welcome to the show! Be sure to look at all the different sub forums and don’t hesitate to search for answers you may have, as we have all had similar if not the same problems.

I condensed your long post to focus on what I left to quote.

Anyways, your cargo area wetness is most likely the seals on the fixed side windows. The process involves removing the plastic interior panels and unbolting it from the vehicle. There’s 12-? I think on each side, but to reseal it just go to your favorite retail store and purchase windshield silicone and apply it to each window and reinstall.

The stock and modified 91-94 sections have a ton of stuff from lots of people.

yup, the site is full of info. As for the side windows, i'm speaking about the rear window that you twist the handle to the left and it pops open. That's the one giving me fits with water. That seal just isn't seating properly. Trying to decide between a new seal ($60 on ebay), a generic seal maybe $25, tape existing or glue existing. The last two i'm skeptical of in the event it may just make it worse or lord if I ever need to actually remove it.

yup, the site is full of info. As for the side windows, i'm speaking about the rear window that you twist the handle to the left and it pops open. That's the one giving me fits with water. That seal just isn't seating properly. Trying to decide between a new seal ($60 on ebay), a generic seal maybe $25, tape existing or glue existing. The last two i'm skeptical of in the event it may just make it worse or lord if I ever need to actually remove it.

Ahh, I didn’t notice you have a sport model. I’ve only had one of those, and I guess it didn’t leak, so I don’t know which way to go on that one. Maybe an eBay special AND some windshield/glass sealant would work? I guess at this rate whichever way you go with should work better than the current situation.

I got lucky digging around for parts.
Found lock cylinders for passenger and drivers side zip ties together WITH keys.
I picked it up, and found 4 brand new Ford Relays.
So i rewired my spot lights, and changed the locks so now i can unlock my keys without the keyfob.

Oh, i also Hooned a bit.

I've had several explorers where the back glass weather strip falls down, but doesnt leak once pushed back on. A little weather seal adhesive works great to bond it to the liftgate seam. Make sure it's nice and clean. If you replace it, there really isn't much special about it as far as I can remember and as long as the shape is correct, any brand of seal should seal up just fine. You can get it in bulk lengths and it probably will work on the hatch, doors and other places on the vehicle as well. Just pay close attention to the shape. I believe a company called Soft-seal makes automotive weather strip in many shapes. They might have even been the OEM for that stuff.

I have had several of the side windows leak. My aerostar is doing that now. I've found that foam tape matches the factory seal best and allows easier removal of the glass later if needed. Window weld is also an option but that is some seriously sticky stuff!

Today I got a project done that I've been trying to get done for a long time. I'm sooooo glad the weather has finally broke!

Today was accomplishing some much needed repair to my wheeler. A new mass air sensor and new rear springs, shackles and hangers. Rust, over the years has claimed a lot of this particular machine. The job was pretty straightforward with my torch being the main means of dis assembly. The truck rides a lot better now and is much safer. I couldn't believe the hanger never failed.
IMG_20190409_153258775_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190409_153313788.jpg
IMG_20190409_160134983.jpg
IMG_20190409_164534371.jpg
IMG_20190409_191258495.jpg

Nice:chug:

Ah... that feeling of rolling the odometer to a milestone mileage mark! It's pretty cool...for the next mile or so, and then it fades away... ;)

Congrats though! I've always enjoyed hits those marks where you get to watch multiple dials roll over at the same time!

Was gonna install a 2" lift but the shackle bushings i need from energy suspension were wrong...
So i did some offroading/Exploring with my $50 walmart dashcam

20190526_135405_HDR~2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, an odd turn of events. I had fully intended to take my rusted-out Exp to salvage last fall, but winter arrived early and it ended up sitting under snow for the winter. The replacement vehicle developed a string of problems, one of which will take several days to fix. So, the Explorer will live again, just needs a new battery and registration renewal. It's in really rough shape, but it will buy me the time to do the work. Honestly, a part of me is rationalizing keeping both vehicles, even if the body of the Explorer just might blow off the frame in a strong wind.

Back