• Register Today It's free!

jeffexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Everybody,

Does the '17 Sport have different engine or transmission tuning than the Platinum? I test drove both today, but it seemed like the Sport performed better in every way--even though both models have the same engine, tires, etc. Maybe it was my imagination, but the Platinum seemed sluggish in comparison. The dealer seemed to think they're tuned differently, but didn't really have his finger on the pulse of product knowledge. Let me know what you think...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everybody,

Does the '17 Sport have different engine or transmission tuning than the Platinum? I test drove both today, but it seemed like the Sport performed better in every way--even though both models have the same engine, tires, etc. Maybe it was my imagination, but the Platinum seemed sluggish in comparison. The dealer seemed to think they're tuned differently, but didn't really have his finger on the pulse of product knowledge. Let me know what you think...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are some differences but I'm not sure if that involves the engine or transmission. Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature I foiund the following thread that you may want to checkout, especially post 8. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...vs-platinum-suspension-any-difference.442896/

Peter

Driving dynamics may be slightly different, but the power they put down should be identical.
I haven't been able to find any online dyno results of a Plantinum model yet (mainly Sports).

I've never driven a Sport, but my 2016 Platinum gets up and goes! I own several high-power cars, and my Platinum does not disappoint.

Identical Engine and Trans. I believe the only difference is they may have refined the Platinum a little for a more luxurious feel.

From Car and Driver:
One difference from the Sport is steering feel—the Platinum has a slower steering ratio tuned for a more linear response curve, so it doesn’t dive into a corner or swap lanes quite as sharply as does the Sport. The suspension tuning also is more comfort-oriented, but not in a sloppy, wallowy way.

Sport def hugs the road tighter, ie heading into a turn, it is more apt to dip below the inside line. Feels tighter, more performance based steering, ie more fun to drive fast.

That being said, overall I much prefer the Platinum and am very happy with its engine, performance, ability to drop down to sport mode and drive more aggressive, when in the mood. More so than not, I am trying to drive it 'normal' without speeding, taking aggressive turns, and standing on the throttle, so I am happy to have it as a more comfortable ride.

How will you be driving it 80-85% of the time. Buy accordingly. Cant go wrong with either.

Plus I preferred the upgrades in the Platinum, by A LOT!!!

Gotta say...I drove both multiple times before buying. The Sport was fun for sure, but the Platinum is going to be more comfortable for the family. If I was solo, I’d have been more interested in the Sport.

The differences are very subtle. Sport has a "sport tuned independent front & rear suspension" and a slightly tighter steering ratio, but I can't find the exact specs on that. They used to show a detailed model compare chart but now it only provides simple differences. The engines and ECU tunings are identical. Despite rumors, I don't believe it sits any lower to the ground.

The only thing I can say is when I test drove a Sport before buying it, it seemed far more unresponsive and actually put me off at first, and then I did another test drive later on and it felt better (different car, different dealer). But apparently these things eventually adapt to your driving style and a test driven car is going to be confused by all the different people testing it.

......Despite rumors, I don't believe it sits any lower to the ground.
I believe it was Sgt1411 that posted a picture of a Sport sitting next to another 5th gen Explorer and the Sport indeed sat lower. I believe the difference is about 2".
EDIT: As per SGT1411's post the Sport actually sits 20mm lower.

Peter

At work, I park next to a 5th gen XLT -- it doesn't have the 2016+ lights on it, so it's a 2011-2015 model. I suppose I could take a closer look tomorrow morning.

Gotta say...I drove both multiple times before buying. The Sport was fun for sure, but the Platinum is going to be more comfortable for the family. If I was solo, I’d have been more interested in the Sport.

****Alert!!*** When you test drive (1) turn the line departure to alert only and (2) adjust to the low sensitivity. Otherwise you may get an entirely false sense of the driveablity of either model!!!

The differences are very subtle. Sport has a "sport tuned independent front & rear suspension" and a slightly tighter steering ratio, but I can't find the exact specs on that. They used to show a detailed model compare chart but now it only provides simple differences. The engines and ECU tunings are identical. Despite rumors, I don't believe it sits any lower to the ground.

The only thing I can say is when I test drove a Sport before buying it, it seemed far more unresponsive and actually put me off at first, and then I did another test drive later on and it felt better (different car, different dealer). But apparently these things eventually adapt to your driving style and a test driven car is going to be confused by all the different people testing it.
Like I said below the varying experiences may be the result of not switching the lane departure system off or at least desensitizing it on the lowest setting.

Without duplicating my previous posts I will clarify a few things for the interested parties.

I got my information from the Chief Engineer on the Explorer Program and the Head AWD Engineer for Ford on the Explorer program. I didn't get any info from the Internet.

There are many significant differences between the Sport and Platinum.

The Sport sits 20mm lower than the other models, the suspension parts are different.
The Sport tuning for ECU, EPAS, PTU, TMS, and AWD system is different. Again I didnt read this on the Internet, I got it from a Platform Engineer who was demonstrating how they set up these systems when engineering performance dynamics between the models.

These are the same people that set up the Police Program vehicle dynamics.

Here is the Chief Engineer talking about the 2013 Sport when it first came out, outdated yes, but some of the differences carry over to 2017.

I know I am really late to the party here but my 2016 Platinum feels ever so slightly sluggish compared to my 2013 sport. Also, there has to be tuning differences because the sport would send 50/50 power to the wheels between front and rear. Put according to the output from the meters in the dash for the Platinum it won't do the same. Maybe 55/45 but it is close. Could explain the difference in feel.

This post was mainly for those now looking at used models or last of 2019s. That is why I mainly replied to such an old thread.

I have a 17 Sport and when it detects you want to go, it goes... but I've never been happy with the sloppy/crude shifting (6-speed) and the poor ECU programming. There's also some turbo lag but also some harsh downshifting. Most of the time it is fine, especially from a stop. The time I really notice issues is when I'm going at a slow surface street speed and accelerate up a hill or goose it even a little bit. The car is definitely front biased. It's possible programming has been tweaked between the model years. I never drove any other model years.

That said, the car is great :)

Back