Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
This is not necessarily true. There have been many members where it failed and was leaking out the weep hole as it is supposed to. It doesn't mean it will leak internally if the pump fails. Dont know the % of each side of failure.

Thanks, edited.

I would be curious to know the numbers here. I wonder if Ford is keeping track or not. Might not be all of them, but you'd think most people would go through a dealer, which would make it easier to have for statistical purposes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, edited.

I would be curious to know the numbers here. I wonder if Ford is keeping track or not. Might not be all of them, but you'd think most people would go through a dealer, which would make it easier to have for statistical purposes.

Not sure how they track. Clearly they have warranty numbers but if this is an out of warranty repair, I have no clue how detailed or how much Ford pays attention.

I know customer pay services can not be viewed at any dealer other then the one that did the work. How Ford ties into that, I am not sure.

Not sure how they track. Clearly they have warranty numbers but if this is an out of warranty repair, I have no clue how detailed or how much Ford pays attention.

I know customer pay services can not be viewed at any dealer other then the one that did the work. How Ford ties into that, I am not sure.

So another dealer can’t see any work done and logged in OASIS? What’s the best way to ensure normal/routine preventive maintenance is tracked for warranty purposes? Thanks

So another dealer can’t see any work done and logged in OASIS? What’s the best way to ensure normal/routine preventive maintenance is tracked for warranty purposes? Thanks

Correct, only warranty service is viewable across the dealer platform. Customer pay jobs stay at the dealership level it was performed at.

Just heard back from Dealer this morning.. out of a $2k estimate Ford was generous to be willing to offer to pick up $300. Needless to say better than 0 being out of warranty but not what I had hoped. Still have some conversations to have while it is being repaired.

A friend of mine had timing chains stretched at 48k miles on an Explorer Sport (2014 or 2015 model year).

Just heard back from Dealer this morning.. out of a $2k estimate Ford was generous to be willing to offer to pick up $300. Needless to say better than 0 being out of warranty but not what I had hoped. Still have some conversations to have while it is being repaired.

How is the relationship with the dealer? If good, ask if they will use some P05 or P07 funds. These are funds Ford gives to dealers twice a year to use at their discretion for AWA (After Warranty Adjustments). Meaning dealers get allocated funds to use on customers for major repairs.

This is a Bad design, However it is what it is. I would be much less pissed off if Ford would say they take no responsibility when Out of warranty, However, They should change their maintenance schedule to say water pump replacement recommended at 60k miles instead of 150k miles. AND, check oil twice a week to look for coolant contamination.

I am considering small Claims court. I had to get a vehicle. My 2011 Fusion Sport was sold to a guy who had a used engine to put in. I sold it for 2k. KBB was somewhere between 9--12k. 64,000 miles. I had 2 grandchildren in car when engine knocked hard and died getting on on ramp of busy interstate without any warning.

I asked 3k for vehicle and buyer was going to pay, However I had hail damage. Im thinking with the hail damage of about $2500, plus the 2k I got selling it. My total loss would be under the 5k small claims limit (IOWA). HAs anyone ever sued a car manufacturer in small claims? My case would be "Failure to inform of known dangerous defect and 150k replacement recommendation"

Thoughts? I ended up buying a new camry after 6 new fords and a used mercury over last 35 years. Was wanting a new edge sport. Not to be.

If Ford told everyone to change water pumps every 50k and to check oil twice a week, no one would want to buy them.

This is a Bad design, However it is what it is. I would be much less pissed off if Ford would say they take no responsibility when Out of warranty, However, They should change their maintenance schedule to say water pump replacement recommended at 60k miles instead of 150k miles. AND, check oil twice a week to look for coolant contamination.

I am considering small Claims court. I had to get a vehicle. My 2011 Fusion Sport was sold to a guy who had a used engine to put in. I sold it for 2k. KBB was somewhere between 9--12k. 64,000 miles. I had 2 grandchildren in car when engine knocked hard and died getting on on ramp of busy interstate without any warning.

I asked 3k for vehicle and buyer was going to pay, However I had hail damage. Im thinking with the hail damage of about $2500, plus the 2k I got selling it. My total loss would be under the 5k small claims limit (IOWA). HAs anyone ever sued a car manufacturer in small claims? My case would be "Failure to inform of known dangerous defect and 150k replacement recommendation"

Thoughts? I ended up buying a new camry after 6 new fords and a used mercury over last 35 years. Was wanting a new edge sport. Not to be.
There is no scheduled replacement of the water pump for the Explorer, at lest not on a 2012.

For the bad design, a coolant level sensor would probably suffice to give a driver enough time to save the engine and some costs. You can't ask for a replacement interval because the labor cost involved to drop the engine is the issue, not the part itself. They made the decision due to space and considering the amount of complaints, Ford will probably survive without too much repercussion. It's a cost based analysis on Ford's part right? For most people owning this generation, it's your feeling about this hanging over your head. So, if you are a keep your car forever person, this is just insight of a possibility of this type of failure and cost within a mileage range.

It is a space constraint due to the D3 subframe getting in the way of the plumbing for the external water pump. The CD4 Fusion and Edge don't have this problem.

Everyone comes with a set of coolant level sensors, they are called your eyes. When you are checking your oil once a week as we know that we all do take a look at the recovery tank and see what the level of coolant is. But this doesn't always work since there is always a gradual loss of some coolant unless you have a completely closed system.

HAs anyone ever sued a car manufacturer in small claims? My case would be "Failure to inform of known dangerous defect and 150k replacement recommendation"

I understand the frustration of the situation, but exactly what laws or rules have they broken? I suspect you will simply be throwing money away. They WILL come to fight it to prevent setting a precedent.

Update on my 15 Ex Chain and Water pump. Took mine in for diagnosis on 5/18. Truck is still there. hoping to get it back today 5/30. My dealer told me with in 24 hours it was a loose /slapping chain ( 62K and change) and also while there to replace the pump and also 2 seals. I of course contacted ford and initially was impressed with their. My dealer has as always been great to work with and good to me as a customer. I think Ford gives the dealer a jerking around honestly. An opinion.... So net net a 1800 repair and ford said they would cover $310.. Being unimpressed when I called ford back on multiple occasions over the last week it as pretty much a run around. Ford said repair was only $1245 from their point of view but dealer of course said otherwise. Hoping for the best after I get it back with no issues.. Any car breaks... I would have hoped ford would have stepped up.

Update on my 15 Ex Chain and Water pump. Took mine in for diagnosis on 5/18. Truck is still there. hoping to get it back today 5/30. My dealer told me with in 24 hours it was a loose /slapping chain ( 62K and change) and also while there to replace the pump and also 2 seals. I of course contacted ford and initially was impressed with their. My dealer has as always been great to work with and good to me as a customer. I think Ford gives the dealer a jerking around honestly. An opinion.... So net net a 1800 repair and ford said they would cover $310.. Being unimpressed when I called ford back on multiple occasions over the last week it as pretty much a run around. Ford said repair was only $1245 from their point of view but dealer of course said otherwise. Hoping for the best after I get it back with no issues.. Any car breaks... I would have hoped ford would have stepped up.

Did you read post 787 and talk to your dealer about it? Ford specifically gives dealers money to use at their discretion for things like this. Being 2,000 miles out of warranty, this is a perfect case for the dealer to step up and not cost them a thing for doing it.

How is the relationship with the dealer? If good, ask if they will use some P05 or P07 funds. These are funds Ford gives to dealers twice a year to use at their discretion for AWA (After Warranty Adjustments). Meaning dealers get allocated funds to use on customers for major repairs.
Hey Blwnsmoke thats a GREAT Idea THANK YOU for the advice. I will ask tomorrow when I go over there..

Old post I know but.. The water pump is internal and driven by a timing chain. If the seal fails at the impeller coolant can enter crankcase. Oil gets replaced with coolant which isn't a good lube. Coolant temp may never rise enough to trip the light until engine itself is overheated and toast. Expensive maintenance item of approx $1k including labor. At 130k, I'm considering changing mine as preventative maintenance. Not ideal but only a couple hundred more than a timing belt/water pump change on a timing belt driven vehicle. Not a fan of the design with no listed maintenance interval and but it is what it is and a class action is now underway.

Yeah....If I had one of these engines and was at 130K I would definitely be installing new pump for preventative maintenance... you're close to the "pushing it" mileage as it is. What's the latest on class action? I re-emailed the/a law firm involved in this I didn't get a response this time..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Blwnsmoke thats a GREAT Idea THANK YOU for the advice. I will ask tomorrow when I go over there..
Just to keep expectations in check. If you regularly maintained and provided a steady revenue stream for a specific dealer over a number of years (multiple vehicle purchases and lots of customer pay maintenance and repair work) you may luck into a dealer willing to help you. If not, good luck and I hope you're hot and have big *****, because that is about the only thing that might help...

If you maintain your vehicles yourself and don't deal with a dealer for anything other than warranty work, good luck as they will have little incentive to help you. However, you should have saved a load of cash vs paying a dealer for maintenance/repairs, so just consider it a "cost of doing business" and hopefully you budgeted appropriately for such an unexpected occurrence.

Back