Passenger compartment fuses...2019 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger compartment fuses...2019

arred79

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2019 Explorer - I am trying to get power from the fuse panel under the steering wheel, I'm using a fuse tap and I'm having trouble finding a fuse slot that only gets power with ignition on, its to power an accessory and I don't want it to be left on by accident and drain the battery, but it seems that every slot I pick is getting power even with the ignition off, does anyone know which fuses only get power with ignition on? I have tried so far the moonroof fuse, radio and amplifier fuses, rear heated seats fuse. Getting a little frustrated here lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help you much but remember that a lot of things in a vehicle switch the ground and not the hot side.

2019 Explorer - I am trying to get power from the fuse panel under the steering wheel, I'm using a fuse tap and I'm having trouble finding a fuse slot that only gets power with ignition on, its to power an accessory and I don't want it to be left on by accident and drain the battery, but it seems that every slot I pick is getting power even with the ignition off, does anyone know which fuses only get power with ignition on? I have tried so far the moonroof fuse, radio and amplifier fuses, rear heated seats fuse. Getting a little frustrated here lol.
The radio and visor buttons are always powered. I'm guessing that the windows and side mirrors are only powered when the ignition is ON or in Accessory mode. The moonroof is not powered all the time and works the same as the previous items.
Not sure if this might help since I'm not sure what the accessory is that you're installing. How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam)

Peter

The radio and visor buttons are always powered. I'm guessing that the windows and side mirrors are only powered when the ignition is ON or in Accessory mode. The moonroof is not powered all the time and works the same as the previous items.
Not sure if this might help since I'm not sure what the accessory is that you're installing. How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam)

Peter
I retrofitted a cooled/refrigerated rear console from a Ford Flex and it fits beautifully in the Explorer, just having trouble with the wiring, it seems no matter which fuse slot i choose the damn thing turns on even with the car off, I didn't have this problem when I had it wired into my previous 2013 Explorer

RCM fuse is switched power. I used an add-a-fuse on for my dashcam and didn't have any issues.

It's oddly hard to find a switched fuse in this car.

RCM fuse is switched power. I used an add-a-fuse on for my dashcam and didn't have any issues.

It's oddly hard to find a switched fuse in this car.

What is the RCM? It’s a fuse in the fuse panel under the steering wheel?

Restraint Control Module fuse. Not one I prefer to use, but it works, and I felt comfortable enough given that I had it separately circuited from the new accessory and it also takes redundant power from another source.

Back