2018 Remote start and Climate Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Remote start and Climate Control

Tom(North Alabama)

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer XLT
New 2018 Explorer XLT, remote start works as it should... But climate control does not keep vehicle temp. We use remote start to keep the vehicle temps comfortable for our dog when we run into a store, but fan blows but no cool. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New 2018 Explorer XLT, remote start works as it should... But climate control does not keep vehicle temp. We use remote start to keep the vehicle temps comfortable for our dog when we run into a store, but fan blows but no cool. Any ideas?

What’s the outside temp and your requested temp? I’m assuming the vehicle is already cooled down when you do this based on how you are using it.

Usual outside temps in Alabama are in the mid 90's, temp control is set to 70. Vehicle is comfortable before using remote start.
15min set run time, vehicle is probably around 95, fan is blowing hard, but no AC

Set to auto or last for the remote start climate control?

Set to auto or last for the remote start climate control?

What he said. Plus is your ambient temperature showing correctly on the dash?

Welcome to the FOrum Tom.:wave:
I'm not sure how the keyed ignition works but when starting a push button start Explorer with remote start and the setting on 'Auto', the fan will not blow full blast until such time as you get in and put your foot on the brake and push the start/stop button. Only then will the fan increase speed. This applies to A/C and heat. Up to that point, the fan just runs at a low speed.

Peter

It is a new 2018 Explorer, push button start, tried Auto and last setting on remote climate control. Same with both, just blows hot air at the highest fan speed.

Does it every time? Should be easy to show to a technician. Just take it to the dealer. Unless you are trying to fix it yourself.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, just made a service appt.
Thanks to all!

Can you explain why you need to 'remote start'? If you stop at a store and run in for a minute, why would you turn the car off or need to remote start it? Just leave it running.

Also, if you are going to do this on a regular basis suggest you search the forum for the FORSCAN hacks and enable the "police idle". It locks the transmission in park if the key fob is not within a few feet of the car. That way if someone was to smash your window and try do drive off they would not be able to shift the car into Drive.

The remote start is just like most premium remote starts, it give the owner the option of starting the vehicle and letting it run to warm up on a cold morning or to keep the vehicle cool on hot days.
As a new Explorer owner, I have to presume that unless the keyfob is in the car it cannot be driven(shifted into gear), not sure where you live 'bigtexan99' but even here in Alabama it is not a good idea to just leave a car running and go into a store(although with a 100lb dog it probably doesn't matter)

The remote start is just like most premium remote starts, it give the owner the option of starting the vehicle and letting it run to warm up on a cold morning or to keep the vehicle cool on hot days.
As a new Explorer owner, I have to presume that unless the keyfob is in the car it cannot be driven(shifted into gear), not sure where you live 'bigtexan99' but even here in Alabama it is not a good idea to just leave a car running and go into a store(although with a 100lb dog it probably doesn't matter)

Ah, so you are turning off the vehicle and then 'remote starting' it for the air and so that it can't be driven off without the key fob.

One other thing to try is set the AC to MAX right before you turn it off (with the instrument panel option set to "last setting, not auto") and then when you remote start it that's going to be about as cold as it gets.

After you have exhausted all your options, spent time at the dealer, and read all the threads here about how the AC operates in some sort of a 'limp mode' with remote start (which is super annoying in hot Texas), re-read my suggestion on FORSCAN, Police Idle, and just leave the car running so your dog does not die. That's how I do it.

Cheers!

False assumption. The vehicle can be driven away without the keyfob being in the area. In fact a member reported such a thing happening when drivers were switched when the vehicle was running only to find out after the second driver turned the vehicle off that it could not be started. Also, FYI, the vehicle can be restarted without the fob if it attempted within 20 seconds of turning it off.

Peter

False assumption. The vehicle can be driven away without the keyfob being in the area. In fact a member reported such a thing happening when drivers were switched when the vehicle was running only to find out after the second driver turned the vehicle off that it could not be started. Also, FYI, the vehicle can be restarted without the fob if it attempted within 20 seconds of turning it off.

Peter

It's what @bigtexan99 was getting at. Factory setting on civilian vehicle does allow car to be driven when key isn't detected. Modifying the coding of the car to enable Police Idle adds the logic that the key has to be in the vehicle for the shift interlock to release.

I've pulled out of my driveway plenty of times with the "KEY NOT DETECTED" message because I had the keys in my left pocket and the fob battery was getting low.

Just to let everybody know... Had my appointment at the local Ford dealer yesterday.
Yes, they know about the problem, it has been reported and verified numerous times, but Ford does not have a fix for the problem,
They are supposed to notify me when it is available.

Just to let everybody know... Had my appointment at the local Ford dealer yesterday.
Yes, they know about the problem, it has been reported and verified numerous times, but Ford does not have a fix for the problem,
They are supposed to notify me when it is available.

What's the "problem"?
Is it affecting all 2018 EX or all 2018 vehicles with autostart?

The problem(as described) the climate control does not work when using Remote Start, apparently 'all ' Explorers are not affected

The problem(as described) the climate control does not work when using Remote Start, apparently 'all ' Explorers are not affected

I wouldn't accept that answer and suggest you try a different dealership.
Has to be software related and you may need a re-program or a new APIM.

Did you ever get a fix? I've noticed that in my 2018 the rear AC doesn't turn on until I get in and press the start button. I haven't thought to make sure it is blowing cold air before I start the vehicle. It is a real bummer since the point of remote starting the car is that I have AC blowing on my kid in a car seat while I'm getting her buckled in and walking around to the driver seat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever get a fix? I've noticed that in my 2018 the rear AC doesn't turn on until I get in and press the start button. I haven't thought to make sure it is blowing cold air before I start the vehicle. It is a real bummer since the point of remote starting the car is that I have AC blowing on my kid in a car seat while I'm getting her buckled in and walking around to the driver seat.

Well, I disabled the Auto control of the remote start HVAC and set it to Last Setting. This makes the rear blow cold AC when remote starting. Kind of a bummer, but I'll just be sure to not turn off the HVAC if I know I'll need to remotely cool/heat the car the next time I hop in.

Back