2.3 ecoboost performance parts | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3 ecoboost performance parts

I've got the 35

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some pressure adjustments and shift tuning would help the 6F35 support more power, but I wouldn't go crazy with it.

Some pressure adjustments and shift tuning would help the 6F35 support more power, but I wouldn't go crazy with it.

Not to mention you will need someone who really knows how to do the transmission tuning. These newer ford transmissions are insane with the work you have to do.

Why would the 35 be weaker than the 50 transmissiom? The 2.3 makes a lot more torque than the 3.5 NA. Or why would for put a weaker transmission in the higher power engine. Doesn't make sense.

Why would the 35 be weaker than the 50 transmissiom? The 2.3 makes a lot more torque than the 3.5 NA. Or why would for put a weaker transmission in the higher power engine. Doesn't make sense.
I think it has to do with towing. The 3.5L can tow 5000 lbs while I believe the 2.3L is limited to 2000 lbs.

Peter

I've got the 35

I believe in saw somewhere with the inside gear and shafts, the 50 was substantially bigger. I also find it odd that they put the smaller/weaker tans behind the 2.3 too, seeing as how torque is usually what takes the trans out, not so much HP, and the 2.3 does have substantially more tq

From what I've read the type of transmission in large part is determined by whether it has the factory tow package. Have not seen or read that torque is in the equation.

Peter

From what I've read the type of transmission in large part is determined by whether it has the factory tow package. Have not seen or read that torque is in the equation.

Peter

Spot on.

2.3 T w/o FTP = 6F35
3.5 NA w/o FTP or 2.3 T w/FTP = 6F50
3.5 NA w/FTP or 3.5 TT (FTP should come standard but apparently not always) = 6F55

If one is unsure of which transmission they have, you can check the door sticker, located in line with the bottom of your backside on the lower part of the door and then decode it from the owners manual, in the section "Capacities and Specifications".

I will definitely check mine in the morning. Never even new about this transmission identification code.

There's not a whole lot you can do to the transmission tuning. I've spent a lot of time trying to make the 6F55 shift faster with the available parameters, but I found that the most effective approach is to raise the shift pressure, more so on the newer Fords because they tend to slip at WOT from the factory, This usually resulted in a weird hesitation at WOT, banging the limiter, or some other odd behavior.

There's not a whole lot you can do to the transmission tuning. I've spent a lot of time trying to make the 6F55 shift faster with the available parameters, but I found that the most effective approach is to raise the shift pressure, more so on the newer Fords because they tend to slip at WOT from the factory, This usually resulted in a weird hesitation at WOT, banging the limiter, or some other odd behavior.

What kind of pressure raise would you recommend on the 6F50? I've done some work but an having a show 2-3 shift at WOT.

Well, ordered the aFe pro dry S filter (drop-in), and my oil from Lubrication Engineers came in, so probably gonna do the first break-in oil change this weekend, filter should be here next week

The more I drive this vehicle, the more impressed I am with this little 4 cylinder. The sport mode is a nice complement to its power capabilities stock too, really like the aggressive throttle response and transmission strategy. I think the more I drive it, the more power it seems to make, which i guess is actually normal for breaking one in.

The air filter won't do much but I agree the 2.3 is the diamond in the rough. You can get a tune up to about 350 hp and I saw a drop in turbo ethics kit for 500 plus hp on the Mustangs.

The 2.3 is the standard base engine for the explorer. The engine that will be found in the base, XLT, and limited. Yes, the Platinum and ST will have the bigger, more powerful engine. Those trims start at $55k. Those who purchase those trims will be the minority most certainly.

So, the 2.3 will arguably be the most popular engine sold in the 2020 explorer.

40% of Explorers will have something other than the 2.3 (5% Hybrid, 20% ST and 15% Platinum). So yes although the minority, not by much. And if you take the Base out which is Fleet only, you are talking 40% vs 55%.

The 2.3 is a fantastic motor and what should have been put in the Explorer from the beginning (over the 2.0). I still think the downfall to the Explorer and lack of options was the FWD system with the ****ty PTU. Going RWD again, I believe we will see a much bigger presence in the aftermarket world now.

So aside from the risk, was there any improvement noted from these filters? K&n has had a bad wrap in the diesel world too for quite some time due to weak structure on the cone style, poor fitment on the drop ins, and just poor filtering. But there have been several other brands to not have these bad reviews, AFE and s&B come to mind, Afe even has their pro Dry line, no more worries about the oil and the MAF

Drop in filters don't do crap. Air intakes are electronically controlled by the engine. Where you would get a decent gain improvement is if you had a tune done for the intake. Even then, it takes some big powerful motors to actually see worthwhile gains. Even in the Powerstroke 6.7s, aftermarket intakes are not worth it (we have over 500HP and 1,000 tq) unless you do a full DPF/Emissions delete to get it to need the extra air.

I'd keep the stock intake in any vehicle that is just doing a regular tune.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drop in filters don't do crap. .
I somewhat agree, but also disagree based off my past experiences. For power, I agree, its negligible. However I've had 2 vehicles in the past, an 09 focus 2.0 (na) and our current 11 escape 3.0 (na) where all i did was install a better flowing filter, and on both vehicles, saw an increase in mpg, 3-mpg on highway in focus, and a hair over 2-mpg for the escape. I eventually got tired of cleaning and oiling the filter in the focus and went back to OEM filter, and mileage dropped back right at 3 for our road trips. This is all hand-calculated and an average over lots of fill ups, I am religious about setting tripO every fill-up and driving to a specific miles to E (obviously this will be slightly different each time based off proximity to my fuel station). But power-wise, never measured with a dyno, never really felt much with the seat of the pants either, maybe just a hair better at passing on interstate, but agreed, no real power gains from drop in filters.

Back