2020 PIU Ride & Drive Event | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 PIU Ride & Drive Event

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And it means we can all keep our current Police wheels with snow tires for transitioning to the 2020

And that will be a HUGE cost savings for departments that this would apply by using existing inventory on newer PUI units and not having to purchase new set ups immediately as vehicle counts go down on older and are replaced by newer units.

That means I should be able to use my current Winter set on a 3rd vehicle.:)

Peter
I think you all need to remember that same WHEEL size does not imply same TIRE size. The base 18" wheel comes with 255/65R18 tires. The 20" wheel has 255/55R20 tires. The 21" wheels have 275/45R21 tires. The tire circumference is 30.7" (on the 21's) to 31.1" (on the 18's) with the 20's being 31". That is 1" larger diameter than the current Explorer.

The Base has 245/60R18 tires. The 18" Winters I have are used to replace my current 255/50R20 which is the same size as those on the 2020 Platinum. The circumference difference between the 20's and the 235/65R18 is -0.04" or almost 0.

Peter

The Base has 245/60R18 tires. The 18" Winters I have are used to replace my current 255/50R20 which is the same size as those on the 2020 Platinum. The circumference difference between the 20's and the 235/65R18 is -0.04" or almost 0.

Peter
The 2020 Platinum is 255/55R20 like I listed above, not 255/50R20. The tire sizes I listed were for the 2020, from the order guide. The 2020 base tire size is 255/65R18 (31.1" diameter, 97.5" circumference). A 235/65R18 is a 30" diameter (94.3" circumference). That is a 3.5% change in diameter and a 3.3% change in circumference.

The 2020 Platinum is 255/55R20 like I listed above, not 255/50R20. The tire sizes I listed were for the 2020, from the order guide. The 2020 base tire size is 255/65R18 (31.1" diameter, 97.5" circumference). A 235/65R18 is a 30" diameter (94.3" circumference). That is a 3.5% change in diameter and a 3.3% change in circumference.
My apologies. You are correct. For some reason I thought the 20" were the same. Look like I'll be shopping for some new Winter tires since mine are 235/60R18 which I used on my previous MKT. That makes for too great a difference. At least I can get one more season out of them since my lease isn't up until Oct. 2020. Thank you.

Peter

Ya, I won't be buying new tires for that minor difference, they will work fine.

As long as the bolt pattern works I'm good with it.

My agency just ordered a bunch of these. I cant wait to test this thing out. I might buy a surplus one when i start seeing them.

Ford has done an outstanding job refining this 2020 PIU, adding the Hybrid option is a game changer.

Industry stats show Ford has 63% of the Police vehicle market today, this Hybrid option I believe will push Ford even further ahead in market share, probably 75-80% in 2020/2021.

GM only has the Tahoe PPV left in the Police market, the Police Team at GM was told they will get a 5000 police unit run at the factory and that's it. The Tahoe is a beautiful SUV I love them but its fraught with issues every year at MSP and LASD testing. Last year the brakes caught on fire at LASD and this year the transmission went into safe mode during testing. The power and handling of the Tahoe is subpar to the PIU.

Dodge has the best Police sedan on the market today but Agencies are realizing sedans just won't hold the gear anymore and some officers can't fit in them. Even though the Durango is now pursuit rated its almost irrelevant.

Mark this post so it can be brought back up this time next year to see if I'm full of $^$#

Interesting hearing you say that because every time I hear about Dodge, I hear they are always breaking, maintenance up the a$$ and are very cramped in the front.

Interesting hearing you say that because every time I hear about Dodge, I hear they are always breaking, maintenance up the a$$ and are very cramped in the front.

Your points are true and usually the main reasons some Agencies transition to the PIU.

Our Dodges control arms and sway bar end links are replaced constantly. as well as all the items you mentioned. they are junk

I wish one of these events were closer to me. I attended one when the piu was still a concept and didn't like the Taurus so we went with the caprice.

I wish one of these events were closer to me. I attended one when the piu was still a concept and didn't like the Taurus so we went with the caprice.

You were one of the few Agencies in North America that chose the Caprice, how is it getting parts and service for a vehicle built in Australia?

Phoenix PD has a few of them as well, very odd to see this large sedan as a marked unit in today's age. They visually seem larger than the Chargers but they are rare for sure and i bet a PITA to get parts for.

Back