• Register Today It's free!

What is your MPG?

MrPulldown

Reaction score
City, State
Truckeee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, 4wd, 4.6l
Been keeping track of the Explorer's MPGs. I am getting 17mpg. I thought it got a little better when I had possession of it last, maybe up to 19-20. Wife loaded it to her brother for 6 months. Came back with a couple of things wrong and zero maintenance.

Mind if you guys list your MPGs, engine and drive. I'll Start:
4.6L, Auto 4wd.
Date miles gallons MPG
-- 166 9.8 16.93878
-- 245 14.369 17.0506
-- 238 13.85 17.18412
-- 239.4 13.665 17.51921
5/4 177 11.7 15.12821
5/14 338.5 19.087 17.73458
5/18 216 12.768 16.91729
Total 1619.9 95.239 17.00879

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Early build 2002 -- some mountain driving. Long uphills, and downhills which I maintain the speed (that's why I wanted the 4.6L), not being cautious about gas mileage, 16 mpg, been about that for many years.

03 4.6 4x 3.73 ratio: heavy throttle usually loaded (1,000lbs added payload), hilly and 265/70/17 truck tires.

8mpg lately locally with E15 and 12mpg hwy with excessive idling time, sometimes 8+ hours per tank.

Stock tire size, loaded very hilly best mpg was 20mpg using careful throttle, coasting, and no idling. That was at roughly 200,000 mi. Been rode hard, put up wet, runs outstanding. Love that V8!

On a side note, runs best and highest mpg using Shell fuel, least at grocery sponsored pumps. Another side note, cleanest intake ports and intake valve stems have been name brand fuel, dirtiest have been no name stations with little to no detergents.

Stock tire size, loaded very hilly best mpg was 20mpg using careful throttle, coasting, and no idling. That was at roughly 200,000 mi. Been rode hard, put up wet, runs outstanding. Love that V8!

I thought that I could or use to achieve 20 mpg, if I was careful. I have been grandma driving and only getting 17.

Wonder what sensor has been going south?

Checking long and short term fuel trims could provide some insight. Could be any number of things.

Response rate of O2 sensors, voltage span, fuel filter, spark plug condition, throttle body cleanliness, MAF cleanliness, exhaust back pressure, egr malfunction, etc

What kind of driving are you doing?

If I drive from Georgia to Ohio @ (hypothetically) 80 mph, I’ll get 20 mpg on average.

Around ATL, during weekdays with freeway rush hour and some side streets, high 15’s.

Just putting around side roads, usually low 15’s, unless I have a heavy foot leaving a stop because of the CAI sound.....then mid 13’s.

13-15 when pulling a 10’ trailer.

My ‘04, 4.6l.

Wife in her ‘05 4.0 is always low 13’s.

03 4.6 4x 3.73 ratio: heavy throttle usually loaded (1,000lbs added payload), hilly and 265/70/17 truck tires.

8mpg lately locally with E15 and 12mpg hwy with excessive idling time, sometimes 8+ hours per tank.

On a side note, runs best and highest mpg using Shell fuel, least at grocery sponsored pumps. Another side note, cleanest intake ports and intake valve stems have been name brand fuel, dirtiest have been no name stations with little to no detergents.

Well done, you beat me, and that's not good.

I see about 11mpg in my 98 with 223k miles, delivering mail and commuting 50 miles a day(about 40 on route). If you're on the gas a lot, the mileage will be very bad.

Also note how mileage is being calculated, the onboard displays are all wrong to almost 10%, telling you it's better than it is. You have to check it manually, record every fill up and miles driven, and averaged for several tanks of gas.

Tire size matters for accuracy too. Older Explorers have the same speedometer calibration as the late 90's, yet early trucks came with 29" tires, and the 16's are all 30" tires. In the 1st/2nd gen Explorers, the speedometers are calibrated for 30" tires.

What has been typical for decades is that California requires higher standards on their smog equipment. And I've seen it make a difference in gas mileage and performance -- even when comparing the same vehicle with same engine size. I wonder if the Explorers are set differently for California rather than "49 states" smog certified. Whenever I've bought a used vehicle, I always look for the "49 state" designation, or have traveled to Oregon to buy the vehicle. I purchased my current one in Oregon, but the EPA tag says it's set up for California -- I bought it because it was the only V8 with 4wd I could find, and I live in snow country. I wonder what the smog difference is between the two types.

Yesterday I bought a full tank of gas with a calculated average of 17.6. Though this is the best tank so far it should have been better IMO and from memory of what this car use to get. This tank had a lot of slow speed (55mph) hwy driving. Not never many short trips. It also included a down the hill (Truckee to Reno, 6.5 to 4K') to get gas.

If I was doing 80 on the hwy, it would be getting 16mpg.

I will start looking into some things including Cleaning the MAF and throttle body and looking for air leaks. The EGR looking a little involved in this car. Not just a simple one-way valve. Any info on this?

Yesterday I bought a full tank of gas with a calculated average of 17.6. Though this is the best tank so far it should have been better IMO and from memory of what this car use to get. This tank had a lot of slow speed (55mph) hwy driving. Not never many short trips. It also included a down the hill (Truckee to Reno, 6.5 to 4K') to get gas.

If I was doing 80 on the hwy, it would be getting 16mpg.

I will start looking into some things including Cleaning the MAF and throttle body and looking for air leaks. The EGR looking a little involved in this car. Not just a simple one-way valve. Any info on this?

Install a new air filter regularly, new plugs, and clean the IAC once a year.

Install a new air filter regularly, new plugs, and clean the IAC once a year.
IAC check. Will add to the list of thing I work on.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is the type of info I was looking for .

IAC isn't very easy to get to on the Ex compared to other ford 4.6s

IAC isn't very easy to get to on the Ex compared to other ford 4.6s
You have the ‘04 drive-by-wire. These don’t have IAC issues like the ‘02-‘03. How many miles on your spark plugs? Plugs made a huge difference for me, MPG wise.

You have the ‘04 drive-by-wire. These don’t have IAC issues like the ‘02-‘03. How many miles on your spark plugs? Plugs made a huge difference for me, MPG wise.
Very good to hear. Is it a better design that doesn't get dirty as much when old?

Very good to hear. Is it a better design that doesn't get dirty as much when old?
Lol, well, the throttle body’s butterfly valve is susceptible to sticking due to oil gunk. Really only an issue when the battery gets disconnected. Requires removal and cleaning of throttle body.

Cleaned the TB and the MAF, cleaned off the air filter (10K) already seems to run better. Plugs are 60K(?) the one I pulled about 10K ago looked and gapped ok. Thought the interval was close to 100k. Will look into this more.

Cleaned the TB and the MAF, cleaned off the air filter (10K) already seems to run better. Plugs are 60K(?) the one I pulled about 10K ago looked and gapped ok. Thought the interval was close to 100k. Will look into this more.
I made the mistake of going 90k on my OE plugs. I’m sure they should have come out at 70k.
Did my wife’s 4.0 at 70k and the gap was way off.

‘02 4.0 XLS, I’m getting 13-ish, with mostly highway driving.

Truck is lifted 5”, has 265/75/16’s (32”x10.5”) tires, and there’s a roof rack with KC Daylighters.

Not very aerodynamic LOL.

Your explorer looks a little like my wife's 99 xlt
Getting 22mpg highway 15 in town

20180524_192234 (1).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02 XLS stock besides K&N intake, 16 city, 21-22 hwy (if flat).

Back