DOT 4 vs DOT 4 LV Brake Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DOT 4 vs DOT 4 LV Brake Fluid

dfox52

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
2013 explorer XLT with HD brakes... Owner's manual says to use DOT 4 LV brake fluid. Can I use regular DOT 4? Or is the Low Viscosity critical?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Use only Motorcraft DOT 4 LV High Performance Brake Fluid or equivalent meeting WSS-M6C65-A2
and ISO 4925 Class 6. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause brake system
damage."

I would guess that there is a reason that DOT 4 LV brake fluid is specifically recommended so why not use it? One advantage of Low Viscosity fluid is that it works better in cold temperatures.

Peter

Alas, there are as many differences of opinion on brake fluid as there are on oil. Some say it is safe to mix any dot 4 fluids (reg, super, and lv). Some say never to mix any dot 4 varieties in any amounts as you can reduce the properties of super or lv by mixing in reg. I'm afraid you're going to have to just man/woman up and make your own decision.

Alas, there are as many differences of opinion on brake fluid as there are on oil. Some say it is safe to mix any dot 4 fluids (reg, super, and lv). Some say never to mix any dot 4 varieties in any amounts as you can reduce the properties of super or lv by mixing in reg. I'm afraid you're going to have to just man/woman up and make your own decision.
Man up? WTF kind of a remark is that? I'm not asking you to make a decision for me. I was just asking if anyone knows the specifics on the two types SO I CAN DECIDE.

"Use only Motorcraft DOT 4 LV High Performance Brake Fluid or equivalent meeting WSS-M6C65-A2
and ISO 4925 Class 6. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause brake system
damage."

I would guess that there is a reason that DOT 4 LV brake fluid is specifically recommended so why not use it? One advantage of Low Viscosity fluid is that it works better in cold temperatures.

Peter
I agree that there is a reason why the owner's manual makes recommendations. But sometimes those reasons have little to do with what is best for vehicle and more to do with what is best for the Ford. I do intend to use what is recommended in the manual but I just like to know why I am doing what I am doing.

Pentosin

Low viscosity brake fluid can be used in vehicles that do not require a low viscosity fluid; however, standard DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid should not be used for top off in vehicles that require a low viscosity brake fluid. This action will reduce the low temperature properties and decrease the safety performance of the fluid.

I imagine Ford would have used the cheapest option that did the job when manufacturing the vehicle to save on the cost (more profit).

If LV costs more I suspect there is a reason they used it

Pentosin

I imagine Ford would have used the cheapest option that did the job when manufacturing the vehicle to save on the cost (more profit).

If LV costs more I suspect there is a reason they used it

Good point! Thanks... It does cost about 50% more and is also not as readily available. Neither of my local parts stores stock it so I'll need to order some. I have plenty of regular DOT4 on hand which would have made matters simpler. But not knowing the reasons behind Ford's recommendation I plan to order the Low Viscosity just to be safe.

As mentioned, low viscosity works better in cold weather conditions. I'm guessing it may be similar to synthetic oil vs regular oil.
:dunno:
Peter

If an alt product matches the spec, use it.

The Non-LV fluid may affect ABS performance in cold climates.

I found the Motorcraft brand for ~ $13/bottle shipped on eBay.

Man up? WTF kind of a remark is that? I'm not asking you to make a decision for me. I was just asking if anyone knows the specifics on the two types SO I CAN DECIDE.
Good luck to you. Don't forget to change the winter air in your tires for summer air by June 20.

The Non-LV fluid may affect ABS performance in cold climates.

I found the Motorcraft brand for ~ $13/bottle shipped on eBay.

I'll bet the viscosity difference would affect the ABS, which is a very complicated and sensitive system.

Ford is well known for suggesting(requiring) many things when there is a comparable choice, or the industry does it.

Freon, we were frightened into accepting the new R134 over R12, and now we know they are both equally dangerous for the atmosphere. So why is the old freon ten times the cost that it used to be?

The recent transfer case fluid requirement runs close to $25 a quart, yet the old Mercon I/Dexron III seems to meet the same standards. The last fluids(Mercon V and Mercon L etc), were too slick for the TC's, so they came out with a new fluid(the old Mercon was defunct/rejected and manufacturing of it no longer approved). But the Dexron III is readily available everywhere, and costs about $4 a quart. That's all hearsay of course, no official studies exist to prove it, we lowly consumers just choose to decide for ourselves what's best.

I'd buy the recommended DOT 4 LV now until we learn otherwise the real differences.

I can attest to the fact there is a noticeable difference on our explorers that require the LV for me anyway. I did a brake fluid change on it a couple months ago and mistakenly used regular Dot 4. I immediately noticed decreased performance in the brakes the the pedal had a more mushy feel to it. I double checked and bled the system to be sure there was no air in it. I finally had gotten around to getting some motorcraft Dot 4 LV and flushed the system etc... It now brakes normal again and the pedal is more sensitive as it once was. I'm just hoping I didn't damage anything.

So far just your reputation as a "shade-tree mechanic". :D

Peter

That's the definition of shade tree mechanic, ... "I meant to do that.":rolleyes:

I can attest to the fact there is a noticeable difference on our explorers that require the LV for me anyway. I did a brake fluid change on it a couple months ago and mistakenly used regular Dot 4. I immediately noticed decreased performance in the brakes the the pedal had a more mushy feel to it. I double checked and bled the system to be sure there was no air in it. I finally had gotten around to getting some motorcraft Dot 4 LV and flushed the system etc... It now brakes normal again and the pedal is more sensitive as it once was. I'm just hoping I didn't damage anything.
Something doesn't seem right if simply changing the fluid from 4lv to 4 caused your brakes to go from solid to mush. Mush/spongy feel is usually air in line, leak, or mechanical problem.

Something doesn't seem right if simply changing the fluid from 4lv to 4 caused your brakes to go from solid to mush. Mush/spongy feel is usually air in line, leak, or mechanical problem.

I agree with KayGee, the different fluid shouldn't impact the pedal feel. Both are non-compressible fluids.
There might be a difference when the ABS, stability control...etc engages, but I wouldn't expect there to be a difference in regular pedal feel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They didn't go from solid to mush. I should have said the pedal had more travel. Not much but enough for me to notice. I even had the dealer bleed the brake system for me after I did because I was concerned I still had air in it. Didn't help. It still braked good just a softer feel to the pedal than before. Flushed system back to LV now its back to what I was used to. Maybe I conveniently fixed a problem during the process who know's. Other's may have other experiences or outcomes.

Back