2.3 ecoboost performance parts | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3 ecoboost performance parts

The air filter won't do anything. I've done testing and the stock airbox and paper filter will outflow the stock capabilities of the turbo. Unless you can make the stock turbo exceed physics any filter or airbox won't do anything other than maybe 0.1 psi pressure drop Delta.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I somewhat agree, but also disagree based off my past experiences. For power, I agree, its negligible. However I've had 2 vehicles in the past, an 09 focus 2.0 (na) and our current 11 escape 3.0 (na) where all i did was install a better flowing filter, and on both vehicles, saw an increase in mpg, 3-mpg on highway in focus, and a hair over 2-mpg for the escape. I eventually got tired of cleaning and oiling the filter in the focus and went back to OEM filter, and mileage dropped back right at 3 for our road trips. This is all hand-calculated and an average over lots of fill ups, I am religious about setting tripO every fill-up and driving to a specific miles to E (obviously this will be slightly different each time based off proximity to my fuel station). But power-wise, never measured with a dyno, never really felt much with the seat of the pants either, maybe just a hair better at passing on interstate, but agreed, no real power gains from drop in filters.

I've read other people that have stated their butt-o-meter can tell that there is more power and/or increase in mpg. However, we are talking about turbocharged engines, not NA. Plus with more air flow usually comes with less filtration (hence why there is more airflow with drop-ins). Now a full cold air intake replacement (guts and all), this could improve performance based on temps of the air coming in plus possibly less restriction in the curvature of the intake etc. But again, when a stock intake can net more air flow then the engine will allow, adding a different intake will not gain you power. You have to tune the engine to accept the increase in air. That's what this whole thread is about.. the 2.3.

I've had tuners even tell one of the biggest tuning communities (diesel) not to bother with an intake unless you are replacing the opposite side of the engine (exhaust, dpf, cat, muffler etc). IF tuners are saying it, I will take their word for it.

On all Ecoboost, don't bother with air intake or exhaust unless you go with a bigger turbo setup. This has been proven on a dyno and track. That being said the Explorer intake is behind the grille, and the SHO intake is blocked by weatherstripping so there is room to experiment with the opening location and sizes for less restrictive air flow.

I would like to see the dyno-graph, I believe their is no more peak power doing intake and exhaust without tunes, however I'd like to see if it did spool a little sooner, and make more power at a lower rpm. Going to diesel trucks, my 06 6.0L PSD for example, the stock airbox and filter supposedly flow enough to support 500hp, however most who have done dynonruns with just aftermarket CAI's or just filters, do in fact see the power come on earlier on the graph, this is with or without tunes. And most definitely see that it spools faster, and see anywhere from 100-200 degree drop in egt's, which means it is better at getting more air in. I personally am still running the stock airbox, and filter, but it is tuned and has upgraded intercooler pipes, and a drop-in turbo upgrade (just the powermax), with 4 inch downpipe. I will eventually buy a filter for it and see if I too see a drop in egt's, as i tow a 13k 5er throughout the year for vacations, and the drop in temps alone is worth the money. Either way, just installed my aFe, will do some driving this week to see if there is any mpg improvement from it alone, otherwise still excited about this little engine and its potential. The above mentioned tunes and turbo kit that supposedly net up to 500hp sure does sound fun.

From everything I can find online it seems like the limiting factor on power is the transmission. The 6f35 seems to only be rated around 300lb torque which this motor makes stock. Seems odd Ford would do that but it makes me want to stay away from tuning the engine for more ponies. Maybe after it's paid off to just have some fun but not right now. When I need an air filter I am going with the aem dryflow they make for our cars. It should flow a little better. I would just like to hear a little turbo whistle lol.

Any socal locals try addiction motorsports or even email tune through lund ?

Back