• Register Today It's free!

Drivers Lock Issues

Atokad

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ranger, '95 Explorer
I have recently picked up a '95 Sport and have an issue with the driver's side door lock. Using the power locks button I can actuate the lock just fine, however when I manually try to engage or disengage the lock it won't move. It doesn't work with the key or when messing with the stub on the door. You can press on it rather hard and it doesn't feel like it wants to move at all. The passenger side door works just fine both manually and electronically. Is this a common issue that I can just replace something to fix or do I need to start doing some diagnosing? I already have the door apart to replace the window motor and regulator assembly.

so 2 questions. are the door pins worn at all? in other words,does the door sag when you open it.
does the outer door handle flop around. there is a spring that breaks on the handles that keeps it from flopping around
ive found that if you have one or both of these over time it wears out the door latch mech causing what problem you have. you might want to fix those issues as well if you have them, and you may also end up replacing the latch as well. the good news is that a 4 door latch will work, you would have to swap the rods over. as well as any door handle, front, rear, passengers side from any 1st or 2nd gen will work as well if you need to replace it

so 2 questions. are the door pins worn at all? in other words,does the door sag when you open it.
does the outer door handle flop around. there is a spring that breaks on the handles that keeps it from flopping around
ive found that if you have one or both of these over time it wears out the door latch mech causing what problem you have. you might want to fix those issues as well if you have them, and you may also end up replacing the latch as well. the good news is that a 4 door latch will work, you would have to swap the rods over. as well as any door handle, front, rear, passengers side from any 1st or 2nd gen will work as well if you need to replace it

Thanks for all of the information!

Door pins are in good shape. I don't know why I neglected to mention in the op but my driver's side door has been dented. It was taken offroading and the door is slightly dented as well as the outer door handle. The outer handle does get stuck some times. Would the latch assembly actually cause an issue with the locks like previously described? I was figuring it might be something with the power actuator since it works just fine with the power button but not manually. Looks like I might just have to do some diagnosing...

Back