19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed

i bought 2019 Explorer. The car gets 9 mpg towing 2500lb trailer. Engine is 3.5 with factory Class 3 towing package.
Worst part, it runs most of time in 4 gear at 4300rpm with tow/haul on. Top speed about 68 to limit rpm.
If I run 73mph it would be at 4500 rpm all the time. The only time it goes into 5 gear is down hill.

So far dealer can’t find problem.
Does anyone know anything ?

The 3.5 is rated 5000lbs. At that rate I would have 40mph top speed.

What fuel are you using?

For towing I´d suggest 93 octane. The lack of power could be ignition retard with that heavy load. Engine performance and transmission shifting are related.

Edit: Just read you got another vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i bought 2019 Explorer. The car gets 9 mpg towing 2500lb trailer. Engine is 3.5 with factory Class 3 towing package.
Worst part, it runs most of time in 4 gear at 4300rpm with tow/haul on. Top speed about 68 to limit rpm.
If I run 73mph it would be at 4500 rpm all the time. The only time it goes into 5 gear is down hill.

So far dealer can’t find problem.
Does anyone know anything ?

The 3.5 is rated 5000lbs. At that rate I would have 40mph top speed.

I towed a boat for the first time with the Explorer the other night. Dry weight of the boat is 2,700 lbs, steel trailer is probably 1,000, 20 gallons of gas on board, I gotta believe this tow was around 4,000 lbs total. See attached pics. I was turning around 2,000 rpm at 50 mph and 2,400 rpm at about 62 mph. Seemed like plenty of steam left over to get up to 70 mph on the highway if I needed to.

Oh and it was about 95 degrees out. Coolant temp never increased from normal over about a half hour of towing around town.

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4651a.jpg

We're you actually monitoring coolant temp with a scantool or just watching the dash gauge?

We're you actually monitoring coolant temp with a scantool or just watching the dash gauge?

No just dash gauge. Gauge didn't budge.

You would be amazed at the temps it actually hits.

I was seeing 220+ driving in the mountains towing nothing.

I've since made some changes in the programming that have brought temps down to a hair over 190 along with locking the shutters open.

No difference in mileage.

I've since made some changes in the programming that have brought temps down to a hair over 190 along with locking the shutters open.

Did you change it straight up in forscan? Or through a tuner?

That's how dash gauges typically work. Next time try a scan tool/gauge to monitor actual temps.

Yeah, it would be great if gauges turned amber, for example, when the temps were higher than normal, before the engine reached the overheating point.

That's how dash gauges typically work. Next time try a scan tool/gauge to monitor actual temps.

Dash gauges work by not budging??? You're oversimplifying it. They aren't accurate, but they do move up from the bottom of the gauge when the car is warming up from a cold start. I have every confidence it would start to rise to the top of the scale if the temp was getting well above normal. I'm not terribly concerned with the actual temp to the nearest degree; I care if the car is about to throw an overheat alarm while I'm towing a heavy load in 95 degree ambient air. It didn't - and that is the point of my story.

It's unfortunate the Ex doesn't display the actual temp of the coolant and transmission. My Durango did. I never towed with it, but I did notice the temps fluctuating a few degrees up and down with varying ambient conditions.

Dash gauges work by not budging??? You're oversimplifying it. They aren't accurate, but they do move up from the bottom of the gauge when the car is warming up from a cold start. I have every confidence it would start to rise to the top of the scale if the temp was getting well above normal. I'm not terribly concerned with the actual temp to the nearest degree; I care if the car is about to throw an overheat alarm while I'm towing a heavy load in 95 degree ambient air. It didn't - and that is the point of my story.

It's unfortunate the Ex doesn't display the actual temp of the coolant and transmission. My Durango did. I never towed with it, but I did notice the temps fluctuating a few degrees up and down with varying ambient conditions.

Not by "not budging", but the buffers and parameters built into the systems are set up to keep the customers fairly "ignorant" about specific things. By the time they really move by noticeable amounts it is well on the way to getting hot. The logic is display in this range on the gauge at this increase/decrease speed for this temperature range.Same for the next section on the gauge. The last "oh ****" section usually has the increase/decrease speed a lot faster because it is near the danger zone.

Dash gauges usually fluctuate by a small amount due to variance of voltage etc. The problem is that normal variance of the gauge, amounts to a large percentage of measurable information. So a temp gauge could fluctuate an amount like a 30+ degree change in temps, thus you wouldn't notice that change normally, because it's normal.

I've run a Scan gauge(the original) for years monitoring water temps. Last year I serviced my 98 and ended up with temps running 175ish during the Summer. That's great, I thought I put in a 180* rated T'stat. Then in Winter the temps never got much past 135, while the gauge barely registered at all. When Spring came, the gauge would run up to the normal, near center of left, when the temps got to 160-175. I clearly have a T'stat problem, but the gauge would have made me think something more was wrong, if I hadn't been monitoring the coolant temps constantly. So I knew what was really going on, and it hasn't been a problem. But the gauge wasn't any help at all, and if it over heated, the coarse movement would still be less helpful than a true display of temperature.

By the time they really move by noticeable amounts it is well on the way to getting hot.

That's fine, I accept that. So I guess I could've more accurately stated "Coolant temp gauge never increased from normal over about a half hour of towing around town, so I must not have been exceeding what Ford considers to be the temperature at which the driver should start seriously considering mitigating measures."

Thanks Science Police. Now let's get this thread back on topic.

That's fine, I accept that. So I guess I could've more accurately stated "Coolant temp gauge never increased from normal over about a half hour of towing around town, so I must not have been exceeding what Ford considers to be the temperature at which the driver should start seriously considering mitigating measures."

Thanks Science Police. Now let's get this thread back on topic.

No need to be a smart ass. People are here trying to help. If you would rather no one reply to your posts just let everyone know and I'm sure that many of us who happen to have insight on the topic would be more than happy to not do so but that means the OTHER people who will end up seeing this thread over the years are not able to learn.

The site isn't just about you, it is about all who are here.

220 is nothing to be worried about. When I tow with my F350, I see high 240s with zero issues which is normal.

I see 70-80 degree swings with the factory gauge staying in the exact same spot.

220 is nothing to be worried about. When I tow with my F350, I see high 240s with zero issues which is normal.

The cooler it is, the more timing I can run.

:)

The cooler it is, the more timing I can run.

:)

Lol, I am tuned as well but diesel is far different then gas. They love running hot.

Diesel engines are made much sturdier for the very high compression, and the high heat generated near the heads. So yes they are very well made for the heat, I just wouldn't really say they love it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back