2020 Explorer | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Saw a 2020 Explorer ST up close on display the Motor Trend produced First Hawaiian Auto Show in Honolulu, March 27-28-29. It was a prototype and locked up so hard to see much interior detail other that pop up screen. Not a dramatic change in design for a switch back to rear wheel drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got back from my Ford dealer. They had a Ford factory guy there with a 2020 Platinum doing some sales training. We were not allowed to drive, but were allowed to sit in it, ask questions, etc.

1. 2nd Row Buckets - Boy we are not a fan, especially with the tiny floor console. Seems like such a waste and better if it wasn't there. I know this might seem dumb but still trying to figure out how to handle with our Lab when it's just my wife and I. We normally fold down the 2nd row bench and he likes to lay there and put his head on the front console. Now there's a big gap in the middle. Wish Ford would make this a choice on the higher trim levels. Ford guy said things could change as time goes on.

2. Optional 10.1" screen - My wife and I looked at each other and said -"boy we're glad we didn't order that on our ST.". But... after he started the vehicle and showed us GPS, etc. we could see how the large size and orientation could work really well. Still time for us to change our order...

3. Moonroof - seems a lot like current version. We opted not to order this time as we never seem to open ours now + the roof rail capacity challenge. But... I wonder if not having it will make the cabin too dark.

Decisions....

The 2nd row bench seat is an option on the Platinum. As for the moonroof, I personally would not order a vehicle without one. Although I rarely use mine the shade is always open and really brightens/opens up the interior. If you have one now try closing the shade and see if the interior is too dark for your liking.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I thought it was an option on the Platinum. The Ford guy and my sales guy said, not it was only on the lower trims. I see it right there in the order guide though now that you brought it up. While the Platinum is nice, hard for us to pick over the ST. On the sunroof - that's exactly what did on the way home - closed up the shade and will see what we think.

Well unfortunately the lack of a 2nd row bench option on the ST caused us (my wife) to change course. We took delivery of a Grand Cherokee High Altitude yesterday. It's all about the dog of course! This is our 4th Jeep GC - pretty nice and the 3.6 liter surprised me. Last one was a Hemi.

Dealer said he'll just put the Red ST on the lot to sell - supposed to come in the 3rd week in June. A little part of me wants to trade my Raptor for the ST......

Well unfortunately the lack of a 2nd row bench option on the ST caused us (my wife) to change course. We took delivery of a Grand Cherokee High Altitude yesterday. It's all about the dog of course! This is our 4th Jeep GC - pretty nice and the 3.6 liter surprised me. Last one was a Hemi.

Dealer said he'll just put the Red ST on the lot to sell - supposed to come in the 3rd week in June. A little part of me wants to trade my Raptor for the ST......

You will like the Jeep, my wife has the GC High Altitude all black no chrome, build quality is excellent, just has no 3rd row or I would drive it.

Well….my wife choose not to order the 2020 ST even though it has a ton of nice features

+’s: 400Hp/415 Tq + 10 speed trans + 3.31 gears = she should pull pretty hard; LED low & high beams; 360 degree camera; 980W B&O Sound; High Performance Brake package; P275 tires offer an extra inch of road bite compared to previous years – should look more aggressive as well; 119” wheelbase will improve the ride.

-‘s: We could not get past the dash… it looks cheap and the 10” notebook isn’t doing it any favors; lack of a 2ndrow bench but most importantly….the price.

We could not pass on the deals right now on 2019 explorers. Went from a 2015 Ruby Red Sport to a 2019 Burgundy Sport with Black rims so we’re still in the Explorer family… hope that Ford gets serious about their digital dash before we buy the next one.

Well….my wife choose not to order the 2020 ST even though it has a ton of nice features

+’s: 400Hp/415 Tq + 10 speed trans + 3.31 gears = she should pull pretty hard; LED low & high beams; 360 degree camera; 980W B&O Sound; High Performance Brake package; P275 tires offer an extra inch of road bite compared to previous years – should look more aggressive as well; 119” wheelbase will improve the ride.

-‘s: We could not get past the dash… it looks cheap and the 10” notebook isn’t doing it any favors; lack of a 2ndrow bench but most importantly….the price.

We could not pass on the deals right now on 2019 explorers. Went from a 2015 Ruby Red Sport to a 2019 Burgundy Sport with Black rims so we’re still in the Explorer family… hope that Ford gets serious about their digital dash before we buy the next one.

Get an extended warranty on your 19. Dont know what your issue is with the 12" digital cluster... and every person who has seen the 10" tablet has said it looks much better in person then the pics that are posted online.

I think a lot if us dont want to deal with PTU and water pump repairs again.

Well….my wife choose not to order the 2020 ST even though it has a ton of nice features ...........................................................-‘s: We could not get past the dash… it looks cheap and the 10” notebook isn’t doing it any favors; lack of a 2ndrow bench but most importantly….the price.......................
Keep in mind that the 10.1" LCD screen is an option. The 8" horizontal screen is the standard one. The customizable 12.3" digital screen is a very attractive feature in my opinion but to each his own. I think this just the beginning of a greater use of this sort of technology.
Congrats on the 2019 and don't forget to update your profile

Peter

Keep in mind that the 10.1" LCD screen is an option. The 8" horizontal screen is the standard one. The customizable 12.3" digital screen is a very attractive feature in my opinion but to each his own. I think this just the beginning of a greater use of this sort of technology.
Congrats on the 2019 and don't forget to update your profile

Peter

Peter: To be precise the 12.1" digital display is OK... when I wrote dash, I was referring to the entire "dash" - from one side to the other - aka instrument panel. Clearly a matter of preference. Signature updated :)

Yep, same with us. I would buy an ST if it had the second row bench. And with even the Limited not having the second row, looks like I will be looking at something else...since I am not going to pay for the Platinum and the lower trim is missing some key features. Not having second row bench on the ST is really a miss, not having it on the Limited is a really strange decision by Ford.

Yep, same with us. I would buy an ST if it had the second row bench. And with even the Limited not having the second row, looks like I will be looking at something else...since I am not going to pay for the Platinum and the lower trim is missing some key features. Not having second row bench on the ST is really a miss, not having it on the Limited is a really strange decision by Ford.

Why not pay for the Platinum? My ST stickers for $60,150, I just built a Platinum $60,835. So you wouldn't pay for a Platinum because it is $700 more that has more standard equipment/options that you can't get on the ST.

I suppose if you were going to go without the moonroof on the ST then you are talking about $2,500 more. However I would never go without the moonroof, the additional light is awesome with the sunshade open even if you never open the moonroof.

The base Platinum looks to be $3.5k over to Sport, and there's really no options I would need need to add to the Sport. Yeah, $3.5k on a base of $55k isn't all that much...but at some point there has to be a limit (for me). I imagine the no second row bench on the Sport, and more importantly the Limited...has gotta be causing the same reactions on a decent amount of potential buyers. I can see it on the Sport, the Limited makes no sense to me (which isn't saying too much).

Really want to replace my ‘17 Sport with the new one. Second row buckets is a must for us with 2 little kids. Pretty excited about some of the improvements. Mainly the rwd bias awd system. Can’t stand the torque steer of the current gen. And the 22 gallon gas tank is a huge plus too. Can’t stand the range on the current sport with the 18 gallon tank. Unacceptable imo.

........................... And the 22 gallon gas tank is a huge plus too. Can’t stand the range on the current sport with the 18 gallon tank. Unacceptable imo.
Where did you get the info on the 22 gallon fuel tank? There is no fuel tank capacity listed on the Spec Sheet and the 2020 Order Guide shows 18.6 gallons.

Peter

I’m curious too, I’m planning on a 2020 or 2021 when I pass down my 2006 Eddie Bauer to my kid. 22.5 gallon tank on that one.

Owners manual shows 20.2 gallons on page 397 of the PDF (page 394 of manual)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_06_2019.pdf

Not the 1st time an owners manual has been wrong lol. I hope it is right, even with it being 20.2. I remember when the 2017 6.7 Superduties came out, the owner's manual said 17 quarts of oil instead of the correct 15. Many owners were putting 2 extra quarts in.

I would hope they redesigned the tank to hold more!!

I’m seeing so many different numbers. I don’t know what to believe. On the actual Ford site under the specs of the 2020 explorer, it shows capacity 17.9 us gallons/ 20.2 us gallons. Maybe that’s actual plus reserve? I don’t know. The fuel tank, and subsequent range because of it, is pathetic on these cars. Ugggghh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m seeing so many different numbers. I don’t know what to believe. On the actual Ford site under the specs of the 2020 explorer, it shows capacity 17.9 us gallons/ 20.2 us gallons. Maybe that’s actual plus reserve? I don’t know. The fuel tank, and subsequent range because of it, is pathetic on these cars. Ugggghh.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hybrid had a smaller tank because of the space needed for the batteries. But that's just a guess. Typically reserve is less than 1 gallon.

Back