Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

Ill start the show with my pic-

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

trucks_013_Medium_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a nice looking set up. I love those 5.0l's had one and miss it. With the flowmasters and deletes it must sound real mean.
Newer pic of Eddie towing our camper. The previous pics were while towing the camper back from the dealer. Now its equipped with an anti-sway connection, and booster shocks.

Took this pic after hooking up and loading before heading out for Tombstone AZ.

View attachment 158055

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you! The trailer does tax it, but It does ok. Sounds good. The inner youth wished it was louder but the mature adult realizes it would make conversation more difficult. LoL.
Hardest part is making sure any upgrades serve all uses... Daily driver, tow rig, and off road toy.

I just came across this thread so I thought I would put up some of my towing pictures.

6DlUh91.jpg

KgmnYul.jpg

LEKNspi.jpg

uMLulU5.jpg

kNwVLYq.jpg

XMjyOFB.jpg

So how do the two Explorers compare to each other in towing? Pretty big loads ya got there!

That Big Tex is squatting that Explorer pretty good. I’d look into a bag setup if I was towing that thing with any regularity.

So how do the two Explorers compare to each other in towing? Pretty big loads ya got there!

My 2000 is rated for 6,620 lbs whereas my 2015 is rated for 5,000 lbs. The Big Tex dump trailer weighs about 4,200 lbs empty. With my 2015 I have only towed it empty and that was more out of curiosity than anything as there isn't much room for payload.

To be honest, my 2000 is a lot more confidence inspiring. Even with the dump trailer loaded up versus an empty trailer behind my 2015. There is a section of road that is downhill and needs repaved real bad. In my 2015, I have to take it easy and the steering feels floaty. But in my 2000, I can cruise through it with no problem. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps part of it is because I have a lot more experience towing with my 2000. Part of it could be because my 2015 cabin is so quiet, a lot of noise comes through the trailer hitch which kinda throws me off whereas in my 2000 the cabin is already loud and adding a trailer hardly makes a difference. Part of it could be body-on-frame vs unibody. I have the same model Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controllers in both.

In my 2000, I don't see transmission temps over 200° even on long tows. I do have an electric fan installed behind the OEM transmission cooler and a thermostat to turn it on when the fluid gets above 170°.

As far as transmission and PTU temps go in my 2015, they were both normal on the one tow I did with the big trailer. Transmission never exceeded 205° and PTU never exceeded 180°. But it was only about a 10 minute drive although it was hilly.

That Big Tex is squatting that Explorer pretty good. I’d look into a bag setup if I was towing that thing with any regularity.

Currently I have generic short add-a-leafs installed but I'm not very impressed. I do have real proper vehicle specific add-a-leafs from General Spring that I haven't installed yet.

I put a bag kit for a Bronco in my old 98 when I carried ridiculous tongue weights. Was a huge help. With two dirt bikes hanging on the hitch it was way nicer.

Total towing weight is about 3,200 lbs

GdiV-OIAr7ISR42IkOStrdaPNWNvi3tJHxLRStXq3oqonBsGYDyq0IRIDIic57N8bgljbEGh2aB8EbkVGi771tQsfZAAx2oOmO-73d8nxGFhOOlMgAuGL6KBjfep8mzDynpnhaXTEg=w2400

IMG_20190802_182220_zpss7swyseu.jpg

Picked up my new camper yesterday. Pulled pretty well, stuck around 55 with OD off (26-2800 RPMs.) Trailer is around 3,400 dry. My only real concern is no way to determine transmission temp. I have a OBD/Bluetooth plug-in that connects to my phone but transmission temp was not an option to view. Truck is a 2010 V8 4x4 with towing package. Might have my local shop look at installing a temp gauge for the transmission.

For those wondering, average 10.6MPGs. Husky weight distribution hitch with passenger side sway control and brake controller in truck.

Towed this big 6x20ish ~6000lbs cargo trailer last weekend as a test. The Explorer is too narrow to see behind the trailer at all, even with tow mirrors attached. Besides that, it did surprisingly well and squat wasn't too bad. I installed a RedArc Tow-Pro Elite trailer brake controller which performed great. I definitely need a weight distribution hitch and some helper spring blocks or air springs if I plan to tow it regularly. Suggestions welcome on that.

MSeMLKo.jpg

Towed this big 6x20ish ~6000lbs cargo trailer last weekend as a test. The Explorer is too narrow to see behind the trailer at all, even with tow mirrors attached. Besides that, it did surprisingly well and squat wasn't too bad. I installed a RedArc Tow-Pro Elite trailer brake controller which performed great. I definitely need a weight distribution hitch and some helper spring blocks or air springs if I plan to tow it regularly. Suggestions welcome on that.

View attachment 319713
you sure thats not a 8 ft wide trailer?

Did some camping this weekend in northern Georgia. Drove from Michigan through the mountains of Kentucky, and Tennessee. The Sport Trak did great but I think I'll stick a little closer to home from now on. I'm going to be making up for lost sleep all week.
YGu7ki-xzzkj0tMY3pXgvHg=w1366-h592-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Back