2016 Explorer seat mysteriously moves all the way forward | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer seat mysteriously moves all the way forward

bigtexan99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
2 or 3 times in the last couple of months I've come to my parked X to find that the front drivers seat has moved itself all the way forward, and tilted the seat towards the steering wheel.

It's not a huge deal because I just push the seat memory button on the door and the seat returns to its normal position, but what could be causing it to move all the way forward?

This is not the easy enter/exit feature which moves the seat a few inches. It does that normally. I'm talking all.the.way.forward.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have memory seats?

If so, when you get in the vehicle, set everything where you want it then press an hold one of the memory buttons on the door until it beeps.

I would check to see if you are hitting a memory switch that might be programed for it instead of the lock button. Open window start EX hit all three memory buttons one at a time, from outside the EX. If one of these do what you have been seeing, then program it to where you want it and forget it. If not the drivers seat module might be wigging out or the door module might be wigging out.

Is the Easy Entry and Exit Feature turned OFF or ON?

Peter

This is not the easy enter/exit feature which moves the seat a few inches. It does that normally. I'm talking all.the.way.forward.

If the feature is always ON, I was wondering if it may be defective and moving the seat past its normal point. That is why I asked if it was ON or OFF. If it is always ON, I was going to suggest turning it OFF to see if the issue still exists over a period of time since it is intermittent.

Peter

If the feature is always ON, I was wondering if it may be defective and moving the seat past its normal point. That is why I asked if it was ON or OFF. If it is always ON, I was going to suggest turning it OFF to see if the issue still exists over a period of time since it is intermittent.

Peter
The easy entry feature moves the seat al the way back so round folks like me can get in easier. They are saying it is moving all the way forward towards the steering wheel which would make it really hard for round folks like me to get in(-;

We have the same exact problem with our 2017 Sport model. The seat moves ALL the way forward , if I was a big boy it would crush me. I think there is a TSB report on it. After I showed the technician at the dealer, they supposedly did an update on it. Well, it's back . So when the oil change is up I'll have it looked at again along with the front passenger door that doesn't lock.

As I mentioned in my post#6 above, try disabling the Easy Entrance / Exit feature and see if the seat still moves all the way forward.

Peter

We have the same exact problem with our 2017 Sport model. The seat moves ALL the way forward , if I was a big boy it would crush me.

Sounds like the same issue I'm having. It's never just moved on its own while I'm sitting in the seat. So far its only happened while the car has been off, parked, and empty.

I'll try some of the suggestions made and see if I can isolate it any.

Did you check the memory seats buttons?

It's funny, have a 2016 XLT here at work and it doesn't have the memory seats and the easy entry/exit is off (if it even has it) but once in awhile, we come out to find the driver's seat is moved all the way forward and all the way up. Since my '15 doesn't do that, I've written it off as this '16 was a rental return, so was guessing someone did something to the poor thing at some point in its past life.... lol. I'd be interested to hear if anybody comes up with something to fix this.

If you have the Easy Entrance/Exit feature there will be a setting for it in the info display.

Peter

Interesting, so the newer ones also have temperamental gremlins too.

My 98 Limited sometimes, or over a long period, the memory position will be forward by a small amount, maybe an inch. I notice it and move the seat back to where I want it. Then the next time I unlock it, I find out if the change was permanent. The module in my 98 seems to move the front/back memory position a little, on its own. I have to reset the #1 position to fix that each time, maybe 2-3 times a year. Mine is likely an age issue, the whole truck was well worn and abused.

It's funny, have a 2016 XLT here at work and it doesn't have the memory seats and the easy entry/exit is off (if it even has it) but once in awhile, we come out to find the driver's seat is moved all the way forward and all the way up. Since my '15 doesn't do that, I've written it off as this '16 was a rental return, so was guessing someone did something to the poor thing at some point in its past life.... lol. I'd be interested to hear if anybody comes up with something to fix this.

If you have the Easy Entrance/Exit feature there will be a setting for it in the info display.

Peter

Yep, I have seen the setting in the info display on my '15 Limited, just haven't looked through the company's '16 XLT to see if its there.

Did you check the memory seats buttons?

Finally remembered to check today. 1 is my normal spot. 2 is back and reclined for highway driving. 3 did go forward quite a bit, but not all the way.

I reprogrammed 2 and 3 to be at the same position as 1, but with the seat reclined all the way back.

Now I just have to wait and see if I find it all the way forward again, or reclined all the way back.

Excellent! Hope that was the issue!

This reminds me of the movie "Christine"... except that car waited for someone to be in the front seat, before it "moved all the way forward"! :)

This reminds me of the movie "Christine"... except that car waited for someone to be in the front seat, before it "moved all the way forward"! :)

She didn't like that nasty cigar he was smoking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, you're right!

Back